Cable Laying on CS Mercury, 1973 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cable Laying on CS Mercury, 1973

User Tag List

Old 14th December 2016, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
I was 3/Eng, then 2/Eng. on the Mercury 1962 -1965. She was a great ship with British Officers and Spanish crew and had a superbly equipped engineroom workshop. I attach a pic. of the 1:100 scale model I made while serving aboard the ship.
Hi Kevin, you probably don't remember me - I was 5th engineer on Mercury from April 1962 for two and a half years. Great times!
Loved the workshop, I used to do all the machining for everybody as I was a fitter and turner - I figured out how to stop the engine room salt water pumps' glands from leaking, they had been a source of mystery for everybody for months.
We never could stop the laundry washing machines' water level sight glasses from leaking though!
Nice model!, have you been to the C&W museum in Porthcurno? They have a large scale model of Mercury there in a glass case.

Cheers,
Dave Howard.
Old 14th December 2016, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
I well remember our stint alongside in Suva, John!! Your list of names also brings back memories of our voyage. You will remember of course, the Red Dragon nightclub! We had a regular contract (unofficial!) with the taxi firm, receiving a personal bill at the end of the month. All the taxi trips were itemised, and usually consisted of only one outing :- "Ship to Dragon" and "Dragon to ship". Great times.....

Kevin
Ah, the good old Red Dragon! I remember it very well. Us junior engineers used to spend a great deal of time there, so much so that a couple of us ended up doing the floor shows when they were short on talent. Great fun.
One of the things we quickly learnt was to approach the stairs leading up to it with caution as you never knew when some poor unfortunate sod was going to be unceremoniously thrown down and into the street by the huge bouncers!
I also had a standing taxi account when I was there on Retriever on my next commission (1965 to 1968). Loved my time in Fiji.

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 14th December 2016, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN.D.COTTON View Post
Rather new to this forum. I was RO on Mercury for two 'tours' after
standing by at Lairds - maiden voyage 1962 - laying Compac.
I well remember a few names -Alan D. Law, Sid Bayfield, John Patterson, Ian Bosworth, John Neal, Mike Forshaw, Capt Paddy Garrett, John Oxley (my boss), John Peck, Kevin Routledge,John Flower. We had a 5 months stint alongside in Suva to repace the Retriever. Wow a good company and many memories.
Hi John,
I joined Mercury in April 1962, my cabin was next door to Mike Forshaw's and we shared the adjoining shower/toilet. I remember one evening when the dinner gong went and Mike decided he needed to sit on the toilet before going into dinner. All went well until he flushed the toilet and, due to an air lock in the water supply, received a shower of water and what he had deposited in the toilet. He did look a sight with his pristine whites splattered with brown stuff! Needless to say, he was not amused, I thought it was rather hilarious though.

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 12th April 2019, 18:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN.D.COTTON View Post
Rather new to this forum. I was RO on Mercury for two 'tours' after
standing by at Lairds - maiden voyage 1962 - laying Compac.
I well remember a few names -Alan D. Law, Sid Bayfield, John Patterson, Ian Bosworth, John Neal, Mike Forshaw, Capt Paddy Garrett, John Oxley (my boss), John Peck, Kevin Routledge,John Flower. We had a 5 months stint alongside in Suva to repace the Retriever. Wow a good company and many memories.
Aye John,
I remember most of them, and all the R/Os Ray mentions.
I joined C&W as R/O in 1971, and was on the Mercury various times in the 70's - Southampton, Vigo and Bermuda. The latter two as a 'station' ship. The Mercury had rather a grand radio office!
Also sailed on Edward Wilshaw, Stanley Angwin, Recorder, Cable Enterprise, Venture, Sir Eric Sharp and Seaspread.

I was R/O till 1985, then Subsea (ROV) till 'voluntary' severance in 2002.
It was indeed a great company to work for, especially if you were married... until Global Marine wised-up and withdrew 'married priveleges'. The 'station' ships spent most their time in port.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1978_bermuda-035.jpg (253.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 1978_bermuda-041.jpg (176.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1978_bermuda-044.jpg (163.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1978_bermuda-059.jpg (182.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 1978_bermuda-061.jpg (171.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by spaarks; 12th April 2019 at 18:15.. Reason: Add aditional information.
Old 13th April 2019, 06:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 2002

Angry Change of fuel

Mercury Engineers may recall when the engines were converted from gasoil to fueloil. If I remember correctly gas oil was still used when docking and manoeuvring, then switched over to fuel oil for passage. Blackouts were not unusual when leaving port! Must have been a nightmare down the pit.

Last edited by spaarks; 13th April 2019 at 06:50.. Reason: Smileys not working, removed.