HMS Queen Elizabeth - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
19:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Queen Elizabeth

User Tag List

Old 1st June 2019, 04:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 2001

My location
I have been caught out oversimplifying and withdraw the "aggressively" unreservedly. Rather too abstract and subject to misinterpretation.
The hull protection problem would be relatively simple if it only involved a steel hull, failures of protective coatings and bronze propellers under static conditions. This sadly is seldom the case as most ships carry numerous galvanic couples, some localized, some more general. This, I would imagine, would be especially so with naval vessels fitted with a complex range of equipment.
My most notable experience with de-zincification was with two coal fired steamers built in the 80's as a result of the 70's fuel crisis. (But that's another story.) The main cooling saltwater inlet valves, amongst others, eroded quite rapidly, mainly as a result of the influence of "Defcon" equipment designed to counter marine growth in cooling systems.
Old 1st June 2019, 10:50
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

I hope we were chatting not arguing!

Not only hulls and their fittings. Alcan, more an advertising gimmick than naval architecture, had aluminium mainmasts built on Northern Venture and Northern Progress. Every out-fitting (Christmas tree etc.), most available in steel or bronze only, of course, insulated from it (if I remember correctly, I had an idea they also had an 'earth' strap between them which does not seem to make good corrosion sense).
Old 2nd June 2019, 03:23
Active: 1964 - 2001

My location
All in the spirit of learning and sharing and as often as not with tongue in cheek. If you visit my info page as I have yours, the photo portrays the Monty Python philosophers' pose, not any claim on my part to membership of the institution, (although I do harbour a secret hope of elevation to FRS.)

It seems we have a few things in common, (and I have already forgiven you for starting life as a 'sparks.')
Old 2nd June 2019, 11:23
Active: 1970 - Present

It seems we have a few things in common, (and I have already forgiven you for starting life as a 'sparks.')

I haven't.
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:37

That's because it took one job away from the fenian legion normally providing Macaroni with godless key fodder.
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:44
Active: 1963 - 2013

The aircraft carrier valves were supplied by Score Peterhead,they received the order for all valves for both vessels.
Old 3rd June 2019, 21:21
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
I hope we were chatting not arguing!

Not only hulls and their fittings. Alcan, more an advertising gimmick than naval architecture, had aluminium mainmasts built on Northern Venture and Northern Progress. Every out-fitting (Christmas tree etc.), most available in steel or bronze only, of course, insulated from it (if I remember correctly, I had an idea they also had an 'earth' strap between them which does not seem to make good corrosion sense).
This is what you need !! https://triclad.com/product/ saw it used in the restoration of a J Class racer (Valsheda?) at, I think, Campers around 1998, comes in strips, you can weld the steel side to steel and the aluminium side to aluminium, allegedly no galvanic problems.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 4th June 2019, 00:18

Duncan, I think that is exactly what was done at the foot of the mast, afterwards coated. I also think I remember something about such a process being done by a thermite process, possibly even a Tomorrows World 'thing'.
Old 7th June 2019, 21:54
Active: 1973 - 1983

I was on a couple of old ships built in the 1950's that had a degausing system consisting of copper wire round the internal structure of the Hull connected to some box or other. The fancy cathodic protection systems hadn't come in yet when those ship were built, but had lumps of zinc welded to strategic places.
Old 10th July 2019, 15:59

Getting back to the Lizzie, see she is in trouble again , 200 lt / hour leak from one of the sterntube seals.
Presumably they are not oil filled these days, but open to the sea at the prop end and some sort of rubber seal inboard.
Considering the size the shaft will have to be, 200 ltrs/ hour is niether here nor there, keeps the seal lubricated.
Can they not put a rubber cofferdam or a doughnut between the prop and the stern bush and put a new seal in.
I remember as a first trip jnr, our stern gland got a bit too leaky , so they had a diver down in Philadelphia harbour in February to wrap some polythene round the outer bush, then the 2nd and the lads repacked the stern gland with 2" greasy packing. The leaking water stunk to high heaven with all, the pollutants known to man plus it was icy cold. I was on nights pumping out the tunnel bilge 20 minutes every hour ( so not 200lts an hour, much more), with the Sany pump as that was cleanest, though it might have been academic considering the stuff leaking in. This was when toilets discharged straight over the side above the waterline and the Mate had to put the boards out to cover the discharge in case it landed on the quayside.

Considering the leaks they are getting from the dodgy ship side valves its nothing. Standard of Engineering and Engineers today, bah!
That's what you get when you have graduate 'engineers'.

Last edited by sternchallis; 10th July 2019 at 16:02..
Old 10th July 2019, 18:58
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
I think the thing is broken.
Old 10th July 2019, 21:13
Active: 1968 - 2009

I wonder if they have contemplated doing a proper job and putting her in drydock, to do a full repair ? Doubt it !!!
Old 11th July 2019, 01:35

She is in a period of infantile failures - the steep downward slope of her bathtub failures curve. Every ship you were ever on will have experienced this to some extent.

Do not panic. The people that built her will have not only done a better job than most of us but a good job too.
Old 11th July 2019, 09:44

Perhaps Mr Cooke Priest has sabotaged her.
Old 11th July 2019, 12:25
Active: 1955 - 1960

I realise that there are two separate issues here, but the way it's written made me smile....
How did a shaft seal leak trigger the hangar sprinklers?

"The UK's new aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, has returned from sea trials early after a leak was found.
Water leaked into an internal compartment, where it was contained.

This latest problem follows a number of other issues including a shaft seal leak, which caused water to pour into the ship, and the accidental triggering of the sprinklers in the hangar.
"

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-48933881
Old 11th July 2019, 13:08

The other thing is, 'internal compartment' , if it had been an external compartment it would have just run over the side.
Yes the shaft tunnel is perhaps the furthest from the hanger sprinklers.
Did somebody leave a valve open on the Bilge/ballast/ fire pump and overpressured the sprinklers?

Much the same way with the QE2, How did heavy oil get in the boiler sight glass?
Somebody piped it up wrong.

I assume the Navy Press Office passed the information on to the Beeb. So with much editing this is what you end up with.
The old chestnut,
Message outgoing " Send reinforcements , we are going to advance"

Message received via various departments:
" Send 3/4d we are going to a dance ".
Old 11th July 2019, 15:26
Active: 1955 - 1960

From the same link:

"Water leaked into an internal compartment, where it was contained.
It was pumped out and
........."

I don't mean to be picky, but if something is 'contained' it's kept. How can they keep it and pump it away?
Old 11th July 2019, 15:52
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm.h View Post
From the same link:

"Water leaked into an internal compartment, where it was contained.
It was pumped out and
........."

I don't mean to be picky, but if something is 'contained' it's kept. How can they keep it and pump it away?
Kept or contained within the compartment avoiding flooding elsewhere until it was pumped out, when it would no longer be contained. That's how I read it.

Howard
Old 11th July 2019, 19:05

It was in the tunnel bilge and they pumped it out as we would have done.
Ours would have gone straight over the side, theirs perhaps went via the OWS.
Old 11th July 2019, 19:35
Active: 1968 - 2009

I wonder if it will be fixed in time, to help protect British tankers in the Straits of Homuz ?
Old 12th July 2019, 20:57
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1966 - 1990

On the subject of RN ships flooding, dit on. I was onboard HMS Fife alongside The Belfast (old ships). I was duty engineering PO when I heard the main broadcast, 'Flood, Flood, Flood. Flood on the bridge.' I thinks to my self we is in trouble here if the bridge is flooded. I stepped out of the mess in The Great Glen (main drag/ Burma way to see the river Thames cascading down the ladderway from the deck above. Story short, the air relief Vv on the fire-main in the Admirals bridgeheads had failed. thereby pumping the Thames at 100psi into the ship. Apart from mogging up the table laid out for the reception of all previous captains of Fife we did not sink.
Old 12th July 2019, 21:53
Active: 1973 - 2009

Great tale! Thanks Waldziu.

OJ
Old 14th July 2019, 09:50

My experience of new merchant ships is that equipment is set to work during the last few weeks alongside followed by a day at sea to confirm speed etc. Minor problems are sorted out by the Superintendent, Master and Chief being Dashed a few bob for the crew to bring things up to scratch.

Naval ships invariably go through months of FATS, HATS and SATS, integration of electronic equipment being paramount. Minor problems should be put on a defect list to be attended to next time in port. Dash is not a RN tradition.

The carry-on with HMS QE leads one to believe that either there are major problems on board or that there are minor problems being amplified by disaffected persons for some strange reason. Hundreds of the ships company with smart phones doesn't help but one gets the impression that morale may not be high on that unit.
Old 14th July 2019, 13:45
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1985

Last new build sea trial in 2018, 50,000mt product tankers, was 5 days of extensive testing. All tanks were filled and emptied. All systems were tested. Minor hiccups were corrected or listed for remedy back alongside. In deep water both anchors were wound out fully then retrieved. Speed runs, steering tests etc. They weren’t cruises by any means. A cast of many most sleeping two to a single cabin or more in senior staterooms. Very intense but interesting trips.
Old 14th July 2019, 15:00
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
#49 sounds just like all seatrials of merchant ships that I went on during the 1960s/'70s and '80s while working as a radio technician. Three-day trials were the norm, with repeats if things were not sorted.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.