Battersea - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Battersea

User Tag List

Old 17th December 2013, 16:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1953 - 1960

Seeing mention of the m/v Battersea brought back memories of my time on the sistership m/v Blackwall Point. Endless trips from Tyne/Blyth/Seaham/Methil/ Sunderland to Battersea power station and also Fulham power station thro ' 1958 to 60. Can anyone refresh my memory and tell me was the Fulham berth on the north bank of the river ? Can't find it on any maps. Thanks.
David Whitehead.
Old 17th December 2013, 21:39
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7woodlane View Post
Can anyone refresh my memory and tell me was the Fulham berth on the north bank of the river ? Can't find it on any maps. Thanks. David Whitehead.
It was on the North bank, just downriver from Wandsworth Bridge. The power station was demolished about 30 years ago and the site was redeveloped (I believe that there is a Sainsbury's supermarket on part of the site) after extensive cleaning/detox of the land. Looking on Google Maps satellite view there seems to be structure parallel to the bank in the river in about the right place for where the jetty would have been, but my memory isn't good enough to be sure.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 17th December 2013, 22:17

I asked about it on another thread a while back,What you see is the remains of the old jetty.
Regards
Arch
Old 17th December 2013, 22:21

I spent happy times on the SS Brimsdown/MFTB in 1964, Was most disappointed when I was told by MIMCO that I was being transferred to an Oil Tanker., went out East for about 10 months, No Comparison, Brimsdown was best even though we were Coastal, Best Social life and plenty of time up the road etc., Cheers

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality"
Old 18th December 2013, 08:01
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1968 - 1983

I sailed on the Battersea and fulhamx back in 60s great bunch of lads loved going under the bridges in London happy days I was a/s Gordon happy xmas to all merchant navy crews
Old 4th January 2014, 12:27
Active: 1953 - 1960

re: Fulham power station. Sincere thanks to all who replied so quickly. To all I wish a happy and healthy 2014, and keep those memories flowing.
Old 15th November 2015, 19:01

Flat Irons

I am unsure of my correctness: However did they sail upstream on the Thames to Kingston on Thames power Station???? 60's 70's
Old 18th February 2016, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrell View Post
I sailed as Mate on the battersea in 1979 and enjoyed my few months going between the north east coast and Battersea Station before taking up my job as Operations Manager inthe Port of Sunderland. I saw the Battersea a few times in the port and went on board when it was laid up in Sunderland. It was renamed the Granville and went to Ireland to load scrap, after loading and on its way to Spain it sadley sank in the Irish sea. A sad end to a nice ship.
Hi all, I remember the loss of the Grainville very well and with a lot of regret, at the time I worked for K.H.Thomas Shipping Cardiff ( Coastal Dry Cargo Brokers mainly) and our firm had the lions share of scrap metal shipments from the U.K. mainly to the government subsidised steel works in North Spain. This was one of the fixtures I made and was the first experience I had of hearing of a ship and lives lost, carrying one of our cargoes,had the feeling at the time that I had contributed to this sad event, however my father was a Master with BP and pointed out that all who sail the seas do so knowing the hazards and this will always be the case, wise words as always from a salty old sea dog.
Old 30th August 2019, 05:33

I was RO on the Deptford from August to November 1963. A fantastic crew, mostly from the northeast, very hospitable to a young Devonshire lad. I was not so popular when I gave them the telegram to go to Plymouth in stormy weather.