School of Navigation Warsash - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

School of Navigation Warsash

User Tag List

Old 30th March 2008, 21:37

Golf house

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmys View Post
I did the tanker safety course at Warsash, but a bit later maybe late 70,s I was at a few courses in a place called I think Golf House. It did management, discipline and personnel courses. I cant really remember much about it.

Anybody recall it??

regards
Recollection's not to clear going back to 1959! However if Golf House was on east side of Newtown Road I recall it vaguely. At that time the place I'm thinking of housed amongst other things a Links trainer - really high-tech stuff! I remember one of the officers, who was an ex-RAF navigator (and whose Scottish name hasn't yet shone through the mists of time) showing us the machine.

West Africa Health Warning!
Beware, beware the Bight of Benin,
Few come out though many go in!!
Old 30th March 2008, 23:10

Golf House was on the East side of the road and out past the main college. They were residential courses for senior officers.

It was a large house in a parkland.

regards
Old 31st March 2008, 10:29

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topherjohn View Post
Pete - from dob on your profile you may have been at Warsash during 1959, perhaps two terms after me Jan - Dec 1959. Many of us did the drill thing and carting gravel from the foreshore at some time of course. Was this a speciality of yours? NB No mention of you know who!
Hope life has treated you well.
Hi Topher, did all my Drill and Overtime from Jan to Dec 1960 so I regret we didn't meet. Had a good 30 Years at sea though with H.E.Moss, Bankline and finally with U.A.S.C. Now retired to Herefordshire and happily Married to my 2nd wife and we also have a Stupid Canine. Enough, was in P6 the whole time I was there. Cheers.................pete
Old 1st April 2008, 15:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1958 - 1968

My greatest recollection of Billy was the way he used to yell out during sunset ceremony if he saw anyone moving........viz,

STAAAAAAND STEEEEEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLLLL !!!!
Old 7th April 2008, 07:21

Online "All Hands"

I stumbled on the on-line edition of the "All Hands" magazine a few months ago - a pretty good effort, I thought. But there has been no update since the Winter 2007 edition. Is it still being produced? If so, does anyone know when the next issue will be released? I'm particularly interested in hearing any further news of 'Halcyon' as a charter boat.
Old 7th April 2008, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Purdue View Post
I stumbled on the on-line edition of the "All Hands" magazine a few months ago - a pretty good effort, I thought. But there has been no update since the Winter 2007 edition. Is it still being produced? If so, does anyone know when the next issue will be released? I'm particularly interested in hearing any further news of 'Halcyon' as a charter boat.
Roger
Presumably you also are an ex-Warsash cadet? My understanding is certain membership issues currently are under consideration in view of recent changes affecting WMA as well as the future of Allhandsonline. Jim McIntyre (also SN member) has been in touch with the committee and is waiting for news.
In case you're not aware of Halcyon charter website go to http://www.halcyonyachtcharter.com. I've been in email contact with Capt Robert Hickman recently. If you have any interesting tales of Halcyon in SoN days I'm sure he'd be interested. When were you at Warsash?

Old 7th April 2008, 10:57

Never a cadet.Went there for all my tickets.A particular memory when studying for 2M in 1953. Demonstrating life-saving equipment,Mr.Clark pulled the trigger of what he believed was a demonstration model of the Schermuly line throwing equipment:it was'nt:it was live.Fortunately,the rocket jammed under a pipe conduit,remained there, spewing sparks with all hands flat on the floor.Any other Ancients remember that?
Old 5th May 2008, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim MacIntyre View Post
Hello Rob
Wonder if Wally (Wakeford) had a thing going with Outward Bound ? ......etc etc
Cheers
Jim MacIntyre
Jim (and any others who went to Outward Bound)
Have tracked down some photos I took on Happy Valley sail training ketch at Aberdovey course, 4 uploaded at/ next to https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...2/ppuser/20641
and 2 at https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...4/ppuser/20641

Old 16th July 2008, 22:34

Jim
have just found this thread, I was Jan-Dec 1958, wrong time of year to be a junior. Have at last posted here and on friendsreunited a graduation photo. Did not dare use Rising Sun , drank in Soton, my mother got round cash rule for pocket money by opening an account at Silver Fern. Never dated Carol but heard she carried on chewing gum while doing it . Stubbington was called a rowing machine, much like slave galley with about ten a side. I recall the 1958 summer ball, I blotted my copybook having disppeared into the Rose Garden with the American ambassodor's daughter when he wanted to leave. I remember Billy well and the Dutch bosun, less so the officers. I represented BI at Mrs Wakeford's funeral , a big affair in Southampton in the mid 60's. Dinner with her was one of the hurdles we had to cope with. Still see Chris Dancaster occasionally but otherwise lost touch
John
Old 27th July 2008, 21:49

did you overlap with Brailsford ? His younger brother lives locally and tells me that the S o N Brailsford is still healthy in USA
Old 27th July 2008, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topherjohn View Post
Roger
Presumably you also are an ex-Warsash cadet? My understanding is certain membership issues currently are under consideration in view of recent changes affecting WMA as well as the future of Allhandsonline. Jim McIntyre (also SN member) has been in touch with the committee and is waiting for news.
In case you're not aware of Halcyon charter website go to http://www.halcyonyachtcharter.com. I've been in email contact with Capt Robert Hickman recently. If you have any interesting tales of Halcyon in SoN days I'm sure he'd be interested. When were you at Warsash?
Roger
You may like to have another look at WA website and news about a replacement website

Old 10th August 2008, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.H.Clark View Post
did you overlap with Brailsford ? His younger brother lives locally and tells me that the S o N Brailsford is still healthy in USA
Not sure if this post was meant for me however I don't recall a cadet Brailsford in either of the terms ahead of mine Jan - Dec 1959. Jim McIntyre and Ray Briskham may.

Old 5th November 2008, 16:28

Warsash

did y MAR warsash in 1968- had a fantastic time
remember all thos pubs well
Old 9th December 2008, 21:29

I also did my mar in 1968 also a cadet there .memories of stubington the rowng machine ,bridge watch with the telephone exchange ,silver fern ,and posibly the great harry .anyone hear from tim Orgis ,went to nzs
john wilson
Old 17th March 2009, 01:20

i was there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Mercer View Post
Saw Acker Bilk in the room at the back of "The Great Harry" around 1968 when I was doing MAR. Watneys "Starlight" was 1s 11p a pint and if you were very rich you could go for "Red Barrel" at 2s 1p
After the "Harry" a call at "Bosses" chippy was the usual thing.
i used to go to the disco at the Great Harry every week and also saw Acker Bilk, it was 68. Don't suppose you recall Ian Frosty Frost.
Old 17th March 2009, 15:33

I think we shared a cabin as apprentices together on the Ocean Monarch from October 1960 to July 1961 .
My name is Martin Howse and the other 2 cadets were Fred Smith and a bloke called Hardy from South Shields.
Regards Martin
Old 18th March 2009, 21:11

My location
Martin
Yes we were on the Ocean Monarch at the same time. I recently saw your name in the Furness Bermuda Line 'Big Reunion' announcement which immediately rang bells. I'll contact you by PM with more
Regards
Jim
PS I see Chris Clarke contacted youabout Geoff Matthias..
J
Old 5th April 2009, 22:22

Mates and Masters

As I had studied for 1st Mates at Warsash in Spring 1957 it was an easy decision to go there for Masters also and as I was on leave from China Nav we rented a flat at Hamblemeads. About 1980, as a Cinque Ports pilot, I attended a course at The School of Navigation and was astonished to be given a small bedroom in what had been my sitting room all those years before. Hamblemeads was now an annex to the School. With that interest at heart it's no wonder I kept the cutting about Herbert Stewart. It is here.
Old 14th May 2009, 01:50

Those were the days.

Pre sea cadet 1966-1967. MAR 1969. Wasn't too bad as shag in senior term. MAR was great as a car made the weekends really good.
Some memory stirrers:
Dave Icely doing a moon on stage at the village dance, how the girls loved it. End of dances off the grounds.
20 days sailing on Halcyon and Bos A giving overtime for using brute force and ignorance on the bilge pump.
The librarian with no ****.
Snotty Pottinger.
Joining for MAR my bed made "apple pie", and the water filled durex trick.
The old coach used for outings and the Bournemouth Symphony trips we signed up for only as it gave us chance to grab a pint.
2 shillings a week pocket money - pay parade.
Heavy weather boats crew.
Shackleton 6 - Mc Clory.
Anchor testing.
Going sick and using diarhea, nurse feeding only bolied eggs and always came in to check when you were in the bath.
These are just some of my fond memories.
Ken Luther
Old 14th May 2009, 09:32

Warsash Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUT View Post
Pre sea cadet 1966-1967. MAR 1969. Wasn't too bad as shag in senior term. MAR was great as a car made the weekends really good.
Going sick and using diarhea, nurse feeding only bolied eggs and always came in to check when you were in the bath.
These are just some of my fond memories.
Ken Luther
Ken
In case you're not aware the Warsash Association current website is at www.allhandsonline.co.uk. As an ex-cadet you would be warmly welcomed as a new member. Since last February our membership has been rapidly increasing from 200 and currently totals 280. I've found your name amongst 4,000 names from Cadet Lists inherited from Captain Wakeford. If you'd like to join you'll find an application form on the website.
Jim MacIntyre (SoN 1959) is maintaining our records and is largely responsible for our fast growing network of ex-cadets, ex-students and ex-staff around the world. The new Australian Branch, the first to be formed overseas, has recently been inaugurated. A new interactive website is in an advanced stage of development. When published in a few weeks time Members will be able to trace others, post messages in the Forum and upload photos to the gallery, much the same as you can on ShipsNostalgia. We have a WA 25th Anniversay weekend in October including a tour of the Academy and a gala dinner at the Southampton Hilton hotel.
Its great to hear from ex-Warsash students on SN which is a fantastic website. If you have any information of other ex-Warsash students please let us know. In any event I hope you decide to join the WA and look forward to hearing from you in due course.
Kind regards - Chris Clarke (SoN 1959)

Old 30th June 2009, 11:49

Is there still anybody out in cyber space who was a cadet at Warsash 1955/1956.
My name is Jeff Richens my Junior term I was in Starboard 9.
Having discovered this site recently I found it very rewarding to read some of the stories of Warsash since I left.
Last year I revisited Warsash and was amazed at all the changes.Long gone is the Burma Road that many of us served overtime during its construction.What happened to all the gigs and the Duty boat mans dinghy.Also where has the torpedo used by the boathouse craftsmen to steam the wood when they constructed the new gigs.
What happened to the cermonial gig called Phenix?
So many happy memories of my time at Warsash were revived,very few bad memories.Seeing the walks renamed after Billy Blythe and Wally Wakeford so that they wwould never be forgotten meant so much.I never did find any memory of Captain H.Stewart who I personally would never forget.
t
Old 30th June 2009, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by R58484956 View Post
Rising Sun/ Silver Fern/ The Ferryman?
Remember the first two from doing Mates at Warsash. I remember trying to pull the "mature" barmaid from the Rising Sun without success. She probably had more sense than me.
Old 30th June 2009, 20:20

Can any of you chaps guide me in the direction to find a Warsash trained lad called Wiltshire. He woud have been there during ww2 - about 1941 or 2.
He was senior apprentice on Brocklebank's MAIHAR on my first trip in 1943 !
Is there an Old-boys directory, for instance ?
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by richensj View Post
Is there still anybody out in cyber space who was a cadet at Warsash 1955/1956.
My name is Jeff Richens my Junior term I was in Starboard 9.
Having discovered this site recently I found it very rewarding to read some of the stories of Warsash since I left.
ETC
t
Jeff
You bet there are!! More than 280 of us around the world belong to the Warsash Association. Our current website is at www.allhandsonline.co.uk. You willl find all the details you need to join including an application form. We are very close to launching a new interactive website for our members on which will be recorded over 4,000 names to search. For example we have your final term recorded as Winter 1956. These details have been taken from the Cadet Class Lists passed on by Wally Wakeford. As a member of WA you would be able to see a list of all ex-cadets from your term. I was at Warsash in 1959.
Our numbers have been increasing rapidly via the Internet and website for about 16 months now. Earlier this year our first overseas branch was formed in Australia which has already grown to over 30 members.
In October we have the WA's 25th Anniversary celebration weekend including a gala dinner in Southampton which follows a tour of the Warsash Maritime Academy. The tour unfortunately is now fully booked but there are seats left for the dinner.
So please do visit the current website and I hope you decide to join the WA. Subscription is 10 p/a. You'll also find an email link to me on the website as I maintain the websites.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards - Chris

Old 2nd July 2009, 11:19

A W Wiltshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsal View Post
Can any of you chaps guide me in the direction to find a Warsash trained lad called Wiltshire. He woud have been there during ww2 - about 1941 or 2.
He was senior apprentice on Brocklebank's MAIHAR on my first trip in 1943 !
Is there an Old-boys directory, for instance ?
Sidsal
From our records (Warash Association) I've found A W Wiltshire who left Warsash after the summer term of 1942. I've looked at the printed original Cadet Lists as sometimes they contain other information but there's no more details about him.
Are you ex-School of Navigation by any chance?
Kind regards - Chris