RMAS NEWTON and SAL class - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

RMAS NEWTON and SAL class

User Tag List

Old 14th April 2012, 22:00
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 2009

Of the three Sals the only decent built one was Salmoor, she had 12mm plate, the other two where built with 6mm plate and because of that had problems with metal fatigue etc, I know that Salmoor was a far better seaboat and handled better than Salmaid, which shuddered badly if you clipped a lightbuoy but unlike Salmoor. I speak as having been master on both, the Newton in recent years was to me a vessel which would dissappear suddenely at sea, after 1996, refits where of minimal nature and SERCO ran her maintenance on a repair basis. Also her stability was altered when all the heavy winches above the waterline was removed and compensated by pouring concrete into her cable tanks, some of her senior staff requested this because her cable tanks were emptied of old cable on stability grounds though how a cable ship sails after using all her cable on a lay and has to sail to a port to load!!! When new she used to crack her shell plating regulary by the senior scientist cabin, this was cured by fitting gusset plates. She was a failure for which she was built, that is a quiet running trials platform, because of this St Margarets ran on for several more years past her due scrapping date( and yes she was a better seaboat to ), this was due to the fact she was fitted with standard kort nozzle instead of a quite running one. The Newton was towed home a few times because her electric generators burnt out and in FLOO's there was a standing order that the ship had to request permission of CinC fleet to use her third generator to get her home in an emergency. Also her builders asked her crew to quitely take her away from them as they believed her accomodation was below the standard that they like to fit in a vessel they built.
Old 14th April 2012, 22:33
Organisation: Tugs
Active: 1987 - Present

My location
somebody once told me in the early 90s that newton raised and lowered flags at sunsise/sunset just like naval ships.is this true?
Old 15th April 2012, 14:05

Quote:
the Newton in recent years was to me a vessel which would dissappear suddenely at sea, after 1996, refits where of minimal nature and SERCO ran her maintenance on a repair basis. Also her stability was altered when all the heavy winches above the waterline was removed and compensated by pouring concrete into her cable tanks, some of her senior staff requested this because her cable tanks were emptied of old cable on stability grounds though how a cable ship sails after using all her cable on a lay and has to sail to a port to load!!! When new she used to crack her shell plating regulary by the senior scientist cabin, this was cured by fitting gusset plates. She was a failure for which she was built, that is a quiet running trials platform, because of this St Margarets ran on for several more years past her due scrapping date( and yes she was a better seaboat to ), this was due to the fact she was fitted with standard kort nozzle instead of a quite running one. The Newton was towed home a few times because her electric generators burnt out and in FLOO's there was a standing order that the ship had to request permission of CinC fleet to use her third generator to get her home in an emergency. Also her builders asked her crew to quitely take her away from them as they believed her accomodation was below the standard that they like to fit in a vessel they built.
I am not sure where you got half this rubbish from. First the cable tanks, due to stability issues DGShips made her carry a load of spare cable. When the SLEP was done this became an issue due to the inability of the LR surveyor to inspect the tanks bottoms, hence it had to be removed. It was then compensated for by adding concrete. Newton only got towed home once due to a main motor burn out not generator burn out, also there was no ban on using a 3rd generator unless we had permission, the 3 generators could be used in all sorts of configurations as befitted her constant current lop set up. She could even be propelled in a quiet state using the top sets in a ward leonard configuation if required.

After 1996 the vessel was under the control of GM RMAS and her refit pattern matched that of the LR survey regime, even now that she is in the hands of Serco to keep her in Class the same system must be followed.
Old 15th April 2012, 18:00
Department: Navigation
Active: 1975 - Present

You got in before me Ron - BZ

If I remember it was the Robust that towed her home from the Bay of Biscay early 1987ish.
Got around on the top sets at least 4 times when there were problems down below but never had a tow in my 8 years.
If you needed to be some where in a hurry you could put all three MPG's in the DC loop and put the AC on the top sets and fairly rattle along.
Old 15th April 2012, 18:01
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - Present

As an ex Chief Engineer of Newton I had listen to the stories over the years, and while she had some problems, what man-made object is perfect? We did see some minor cracking by the steps up to the tumid deck, that was a simple repair. Having crossed the Atlantic in her a few times I had no concerns she would break up, even when getting a hammering from a massive storm for 10 days straight. In the recent past she did have an LR CoC on one engine due to wear on the cam shafts, but it could be used at the C/Eng's discretion. She was maintained to Flag and Class through out my time on her, and we had no issues with either establishment meeting survey requirements.
The one thing she did have that the Victoria does not have is character, she was a good ship to work on, always throwing interesting issues at the engineering team. Once you understood her you could get on with the job and enjoy it.

Regarding the main generators, post the SLEP, she only needed 2 sets running to provide all the DC and AC power required, so you always had a set in your pocket to swap a set out if you wanted/needed to do some maintenance.
Old 15th April 2012, 19:02
Department: Navigation
Active: 1975 - Present

Nice new shiny generators post 2000 SLEP - not the leaky tired old Mirrlees Blackstones she was built with. I later found out, during an interesting conversation with an Indian Engineer, that the original generators were refurbished and exported to a power station in India where they are still working
Old 17th April 2012, 18:45

The nice new Ruston RK215's fitted in the SELP to reduce maintenance etc, were a major pain in the a***. So many failures over the few years. Every trip, you could be certain at least 1 or 2 water pumps would fail as a minimum, you just got used to the machinery and were not too surprised when something else fell off. Says something about the quality of the engines when all 3 had been rebuilt with new drive train gears 3 times in only 12000 hours, still glad the Blackstones had gone though.
Old 21st April 2012, 17:08

My location
i always assumed that blackstones were quite reliable but obviously not.the 8 cylinder(albeit a lot older and probably smaller) blackstones on the dogs are reliable.and when they do fall over its usualy nothing major and fixed in no time.(but remember that my knowledge of engines aint great).but ive picked up a few things over the years.
Old 21st April 2012, 22:39

The 2 top sets (Blackstones) were our get out of jail card if we hit too many problems with the Rustons in the engine room. They were blessed with normal Blackstone features, leaked fuel and oil, to the extent it was a bit like an auto oil change feature!!! I believe the term is agricultural.
Old 27th April 2012, 18:42

Ex: SALMAID now with her new name
Greenock 25th April 2012
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010574 (800x593).jpg (335.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 28th April 2012, 23:46

My location
any idea who bought her and for what purpose robert ? cheers
Old 1st May 2012, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofaerosyth View Post
any idea who bought her and for what purpose robert ? cheers
Hays Ships, :- http://www.haysships.com/index_files/Page486.htm

Ex Salmaid now Kommander Callim registered Leith, shortly going for big refit to include horns removed and a bow fitted, accommodation upgrade etc,
Old 1st May 2012, 17:18

My location
thanks stuart j.
Old 1st May 2012, 17:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1966 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart J. View Post
Hays Ships, :- http://www.haysships.com/index_files/Page486.htm

Ex Salmaid now Kommander Callim registered Leith, shortly going for big refit to include horns removed and a bow fitted, accommodation upgrade etc,
Hope somone gets a photo of her after conversion.
Old 7th May 2012, 20:09

My location
i always thought the accomodation on the sals was pretty good.hope to see pics as well.
Old 10th May 2012, 21:04

I spoke to an ex Forth Ports colleague and he tells me that Kommandor Calum is not on the advance list for Leith arrivals as yet. If anyone knows different please post a thread.
Old 16th May 2012, 16:15
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1969 - 2011

BigBev

Quote:
the beaks at bath tried to feed the skipper(you know who i mean mark), to the lions over the cracking and rupturing down aft.they felt that he ran on 2 engines too often, and that it had led to a lot of damage to the ship.ive been on all 3 sal boats at one time or another and salmoor was by far the best built.
Aye she was maybe the best built but was also the worst run
Old 16th May 2012, 21:01

Do tell us all more Bev
Old 16th May 2012, 22:05

My location
welcome bev.long time no see.
Old 19th May 2012, 15:36

Quote:
welcome bev.long time no see.
Hi Roo how are you these days, where are you working now, still at Rosyth? I have not long joined Shipsnostalgia, it was Brian that mentioned it to me. I have already been in contact with Mike Waight and Trever Ashurst, so you are the third one to get in touch, trust you are keeping well how are your mum and dad getting on, have not seen them for ages?

Bev
Old 19th May 2012, 18:54

My location
yeah im still there bev.im on deerhound still but dont work for rms anymore as they lost the contract.how is brian?give him my regards the next time you see him.havent seen him since ? 95 ish.i seen trevors post from a while back on one of the forum threads(kinloss i think) but havent seen anything from him since.mike has helped me a lot on this site as i was posting questions in the wrong sections.lots of other members have helped me out too.just ask a question and someone will have the answer usually.my mum and dad are doing away fine and it was my dad that sorted me out with regards to getting on this site as i didnt have a clue how to go about it.cheers bev.ROO

Last edited by roofaerosyth; 20th May 2012 at 00:15..
Old 19th May 2012, 22:35

Hi Bev, how you doing, still living the good life in Cairneyhill? I'm still in contact with Mike Fordyce who is still hiding out in Kyle. Think most of the old RMAS engineers have departed Serco for retirement. In case you are wondering, I took over from you on Salmaster!!!
Old 20th May 2012, 16:32

Hi ??????

Your still alive then as I recall Alec Fletcher took over from me when I took early retirement and Alec sadly suffered a fatal heart attack while at sea or am I missing something? Anyway you have got me but thats not hard because names have alway's been a problem to me, faces fine, names not so good. There was a Bob? in the Engineering Office ashore but I thought he stayed with Cerco at the time. I know Alec stayed with RMAS as he got my place when I decided to go or Davey Langlands who was already on the Sals but not sure about anyone else? Give us a clue cheers.

Bev

Last edited by BigBev; 20th May 2012 at 16:45..
Old 22nd May 2012, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBev View Post
Hi ??????

Your still alive then as I recall Alec Fletcher took over from me when I took early retirement and Alec sadly suffered a fatal heart attack while at sea or am I missing something? Anyway you have got me but thats not hard because names have alway's been a problem to me, faces fine, names not so good. There was a Bob? in the Engineering Office ashore but I thought he stayed with Cerco at the time. I know Alec stayed with RMAS as he got my place when I decided to go or Davey Langlands who was already on the Sals but not sure about anyone else? Give us a clue cheers.

Bev
Hi Bev,

We've already exchanged PMs but it's good to see you on this forum. I've left a request for names on your photo of Nimble in Norway.

Speaking of Alec Fletcher's passing, you'll probably know better than me, but Roo's given me a lot of info about Rosyth folk who crossed the bar. Shame to see the numbers shrinking.

I was slightly out of the loop for a number of years but I seem to recall that Davy Langlands went with Serco and might even still be there. I'm sure other folk might know - Mark for instance.

Mike
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:40

Hi Mike

Yes Davey Langlands is still with Cerco at the moment, doing some work on a stores system according to Colin, of course he may have finished that now and be on another job.

Some of the guy's to cross the bar are Tam McKenna (pic), Hugh Clark (pic), Harold Burt (pic), Brian Sherriff, Scouse Webster, Roy Beveridge, Semour Lachlan, Alastair MacGreggor (pic), Frank Boyle, Sandy Boyle, Davey Brown (pic), Frank Derry (pic), Colin Thompson (pic), George Booth, Mike Waldron, (pic) and there are 4 or five others possibly in the picture but I can't remember there names at the moment especially the mate who took the salvage classes? 2nd row between Hugh Clark and Norman Stubbs.

The names of the crew on Nimle in Norway that I remember are Skipper - Barry Kinch, Mate - Jerry Furze, Chief - Myself, 2nd Eng - Colin Booth, Stoker - Derek Welbon, can't remember the other names, one of the AB's was nicknamed Teabag, one at the back next to Jerry Furze.

Bev

Last edited by BigBev; 22nd May 2012 at 22:51..