Single handed sailors - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
00:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Single handed sailors

User Tag List

Old 22nd December 2012, 16:30
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1963 - 1967

Cisco I reckon those guys who row are nutters yet I have some form of admiration for them it is something most of us would never contemplate. Was not Chay Blyth one originally, a rower across the Atlantic with an oppo no longer remembered? What about that loopy Aus out of Tassie who rowed to the Land of Long White shroud then lost it a few miles off shore? Kiwis without a blink set out to locate him, found his kayak with him gone & a note from some sea creature saying "send more." Is it any less odd than Richard Branson & his balloon or super fast blue ribbon attempt both of which ended in fiasco. As he said re the latter did him a mile of good in the press for the airline at that time.
I have ocean raced around the world in some well known races both with my own & on others vessels. Never had the need for rescue though reckon that had a lot to do with fortune in regards weather rather than our skill . Not to say we did not on a number cop some horrendous weather conditions. In one race we pitched poled & one of the foredeck hands was on the toilet at the time, should have seen the deck head.....We came up with all gear intact too but the yachts timber hull was racked. Talk about disoriented! Interestingly we still did credibly overall. I can recall as navigator being so nonplused & having no ferkin idea what the ferk had occurred & still think on it occasionally & thank whoever brought us out of it, that beautiful good fairy Tinkerbell.
Frank apropos DSExp it was a rescue of the spurned & the Yanks would have loved it! Have a pleasant bah humbug period. Richard
Old 23rd December 2012, 22:05
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leratty View Post
Cisco I reckon those guys who row are nutters yet I have some form of admiration for them it is something most of us would never contemplate. Was not Chay Blyth one originally, a rower across the Atlantic with an oppo no longer remembered?
You mean John Ridgway, I think. John Ridgeway was the ossifer, Chay was the grunt, when I saw them giving a talk after their voyage, it was fairly apparent. Think Chay Blyth got from under, but I didn't think John Ridgeway was doing any more than reflecting the times. Their talk was very inspiring, set up for us by Alfred Holts for their Middies.
Old 23rd December 2012, 22:15
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
I believe another british pair were attempting the same trip at the same time... they went missing. Memory says maybe their boat was found.......

I think the longest open boat voyage on record is by Webb Chiles, an american singlehander in a Drascombe lugger.... Singapore to Aden. That was part of a 7/8ths singlehanded tradewind circumnavigation. Wrecked twice... once in Vanuatu(?) ... salvaged the boat, once in the Red Sea ( boat confiscated by Saudis... illegal importation... ) . Voyage finally abandoned in the Canaries after the (2nd) boat was vandalised.
Old 23rd December 2012, 23:49

Oh. I have sailed Drascombe luggers, I love them. They are such good boats for so many situations.
Old 24th December 2012, 08:14
Active: 1963 - 1967

Ironic when someone does something like that with a partner & the partner is forgotten then the other goes on to fame & possibly fortune. Maybe he preferred it that way?
That Chiles fellow & his Drascombe lugger had guts sailing through the areas he did, especially the Red Sea. Had to laugh at the idiocy of Saudi gov't impounding-confiscating his boat "illegal importation" after it was wrecked. Could there be a gov't anywhere that is not at times so idiotic, na doubt it? Blue sky here today so off into the madness of the last day shopping before that dreadful time. Thank God we have no relatives within Cooee to bring mayhem into the household so a quite one for us a drink or two with some acquaintances in the morning then a lovely dinner cooked between the two of us, a fine red with a drizzel of Champaign to follow. Should be pleasant. Hope yours will be too, the latter I mean. Richard
Old 24th December 2012, 15:34
Active: 1956 - 1960

John Ridgeway ran an outward bound school,I think, somewhere in Scotland. He took quite a ribbing after a TV program was made of his course. He was taken to task by one of those attending who flatly refused to play the game. If memory serves the game was that the boat they were all on was sinking(it was'nt) and they had to jump into the water and swim ashore.The gentleman in question said the idea was rubbish as the boat was not sinking and refused point blank to jump over the side. I think what then happened was a number of other team members joined in the rebellion. He had never faced a rebellion
before and think he lost confidence in what he was doing.
I believe sometime later he and his family took off on his yacht and at one point was on the Pacific side of Cape Horn.
Davie

Last edited by Davie M; 24th December 2012 at 15:38..
Old 24th December 2012, 16:07

Ridgeway's 'school' was at Ardmore I think.
I never met him but have met Blythe on a number of occasions. No doubt a very tough and brave soldier but as far as good manners and all round 'couth' are concerned he must have been somewhere else when they were handed out.
Old 24th December 2012, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie M View Post
If memory serves the game was that the boat they were all on was sinking(it was'nt) and they had to jump into the water and swim ashore.The gentleman in question said the idea was rubbish as the boat was not sinking and refused point blank to jump over the side.
I did a weeks training on Canadian canoes, at the end we had done all sorts of self-rescue and so on, Right at the end we were all in the middle of the lake, rafted up for a final debrief, the instructor said we had all done well, just one last thing before we finished. He then jumped up and ran round till all the canoes were upside down and then played dead in the water. We could not refuse to deal with that!