Ellerman Wilson Line HULL. - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
12:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ellerman Wilson Line HULL.

User Tag List

Old 29th April 2009, 22:05

hi i sailed on a few Wilson ships, my first was the albano joined her 10/11/59 to30/1/60 cavallo 18/1/61 to 17/3/61 borodino 30/3/61 to 5/6/61 rollo 21/11/62 to 16/12/62 vasco 12/1/63 to30/3/63 and consuelo 22/4/63 vnc i knew most of the people who you have all mentioned great seamen and for the ones who have gone its a great loss to us all TC was a good friend of mine as is his bro brian but they was just a few of many great lads who sailed out of Hull
Old 8th March 2010, 19:16

forto

I dont remember anyone but my grandad was the skipper of forto,
Ernnie Thompson (flatty)
Old 30th May 2010, 20:09

Hi lads i am looking for some info for a pal of mine his father was a steward on the Borodino in the sixties his name Dawson was he was from Hull any info please sam2182sw
Old 27th August 2010, 19:48

Hi all

I sailed on the "Volo" in the early 60's under Capt. Stilwell , a rather eccentric character. His nickname was 'Flag Jack' because he insisted on every flag being rove half way through the truck.

As an example. He was always immaculately turned out and always phoned his wife from Oslo and I can still picture him in spotless uniform complete with great coat[I] but with a wooly bobble hat on his head[I]
Occasionally, half way back he would grab a broom and start sweeping the quay!
Old 26th November 2013, 07:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1960 - 1978

I was in Rollo and Marengo, Ray was the captain of Marengo and as I remember shaky was his nickname. he did not like the North Atlantic run.

Regards Greg
Old 26th November 2013, 10:47

when i was on the borodino laurie kohlerwas the chippy a guy called bud garner was the bosun both terry & john chapman sadly died plus nipper and barry tornberg
Old 5th February 2014, 22:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy

Hi Rich

please add yourself to our new FB group all about EWL Hull, might bring back some memories for you also you might be able to contribute to the site, Im try to build like a history group on the company, if you know anyone else who might be interested then please share our link below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ewlhull/

Regards Andy
Old 20th February 2014, 10:05

armchair

Hello to all ex Ellerman AB's,
Please can you help I'm building a photo album up of my brothers and uncle, sea careers and I know they sailed with Ellerman Wilsons Line out of Hull, my uncle was Alf Dye, AB, I use to board his ship when it docked in Hull Williamrite or Humber dock way back in 1965-1970, can anyone remember him and the Wilson ships he sailed on and if so do you have any stories to pass on to me so I can put them into my album
Old 20th February 2014, 10:20

armchair

Hello, can anyone remember Alf Dye? who sailed on Wilson ships out of Hull my uncle was AB, if you can I would be much obliged if you could pass any info onto me about him and names of the ship or ships he sailed on.
Old 29th May 2014, 15:36

I sailed on the Cattaro for 1 trip down the Med, then I was transferred to the cicero on the Gothenburg run. When the ro/ro ferries took over the cicero traded on the eastern Swedish coast.
When that trade finished I joined the Volo for 1 trip to Oslo before the Volo was sold to the Greeks
I finished my time on the Ciceros sister ship the Rollo
Old 21st July 2014, 11:13

My mother, Betty 'Jane' Russell, and my father, Derek Taylor, were both stewards on, I believe, the Malmo, sailing, I think out of Hull to Stockholm in 1953/54. Does anyone remember my dad?
Old 21st July 2014, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
Hello, can anyone remember Alf Dye? who sailed on Wilson ships out of Hull my uncle was AB, if you can I would be much obliged if you could pass any info onto me about him and names of the ship or ships he sailed on.
i sailed with alfie dye but not on a wison ship i sailed with alf on the baltic star
Old 4th May 2019, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaskew View Post
Hi Richie
I did 3 trips on Marengo from 8-58 to 11-58,It was Capt,Stokes then.
I did 2 trips 6-62 to sept,62.With Capt Gillis your right he was a man
to be reckoned with.He used to have us stand near the gangway in port.
He was ok.Ive also sailed on Livorno,Bravo,Cavallo,Malmo,Trentino,Rappallo,
Rinaldo,Spero.As you can guess I am from Hull
Regards Artie
I was R/O on the Marengo for several North Atlantic trips, first half of 1958. Captain was David Stokes. He kept signing me on again as soon as we reached home port of Hull, even though it meant paying Marconi for me for 10 days until the ship was ready to sail again. He always asked me not to transmit while the Archers was on :-)