Shell pensions - Ships Nostalgia
04:05

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Shell pensions

User Tag List

Old 13th March 2015, 23:33

My location
Shell pensions

I have a friend who was apprentice/deck officer with Shell tankers for the period 1960-1972. During this period were Shell officers enrolled in the MNOPF or did Shell have their own pension scheme. My friend is now in poor health, and if he is due any form of pension it would be a big help. Any information would be much appreciated.
Many thanks'
Phil Williams.
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Williams View Post
I have a friend who was apprentice/deck officer with Shell tankers for the period 1960-1972. During this period were Shell officers enrolled in the MNOPF or did Shell have their own pension scheme. My friend is now in poor health, and if he is due any form of pension it would be a big help. Any information would be much appreciated.
Many thanks'
Phil Williams.
I was with shell from 1970 untill 1980, in the back of my mind I know I was in a shell pension fund I am not exactly sure which one but I thought it was the Shell Overseas Contributary Pension Fund. You should contact Shell Center in London to see which ones it was. he should have built something up with them although it might not be a great amount. Do you know or does he know what his Shell personel number was that might make things easier for them to find him. Sucess.

Roger
Old 24th March 2015, 04:05

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibberd View Post
I was with shell from 1970 untill 1980, in the back of my mind I know I was in a shell pension fund I am not exactly sure which one but I thought it was the Shell Overseas Contributary Pension Fund. You should contact Shell Center in London to see which ones it was. he should have built something up with them although it might not be a great amount. Do you know or does he know what his Shell personel number was that might make things easier for them to find him. Sucess.

Roger
Many thanks, Roger, I will discuss the matter with my friend to see if we can persue the matter.
Phil.
Old 30th March 2015, 14:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1971 - 1975

Shell pensions

My time with Shell (early - mid 70's) slightly overlaps with that of your friend. In truth, my memory of that time is somewhat hazy, and I'd not given any thought to pensions. Therefore, I was very surprised to receive a letter in 2002 from Abbey Life Assurance, who I was informed had taken over responsibility for handling annuities of the Shell Petroleum Co. Ltd. Even more surprising, was that I received the letter at all, as it had been posted to the address I'd last lived in some 30 years previously! The contact address for Abbey Life is, PO Box 4896, 100 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, BH8 8XB. I hope this proves useful to your friend, however, I would caution against being too optimistic, for the annual payout (at least in my case), is based upon the pittance paid to cadets at the time and is not index linked. The resulting annuity is very small indeed. Good luck with your quest.
Old 3rd April 2015, 02:35

Shell pensions.

When I resigned from Shell Tankers (U.K.) Ltd., in 1975 (as 2/O), I transferred all (I thought) of my my pension from the Shell scheme, into the MNOPF. Last year, I received a letter from Abbey Insurance, forwarded via the U.K. tax authorities, asking if I could confirm my address! Since I have had something like 20 different addresses since I left Shell, I listed them all, and sometime later, received a cheque for about 100 quid. It does raise the question of what other monies are there out there, hidden in long-forgotten accounts. Think about the numbers of seafarers who in the past 40 years, left the sea, forgot about their sea-going pensions, got married, had kids, got divorced, re-married/shacked-up, and died, without wifey even knowing that their sea-going pension ever existed! I had never heard of Abbey, and would not have had a clue where to search for my missing sum. Hmmmm!
Old 3rd April 2015, 05:48

Try contacting the Pension Tracing Service on Telephone: 0845 6002 537 or you can do it online at https://www.gov.uk/find-lost-pension, it's part of the DWP. They should be able to tell you the address of the pension provider though they'll not be able to give specific details of an individuals pension, if any.

Last edited by zero; 3rd April 2015 at 05:54..
Old 8th April 2015, 04:56

My location
Many thanks for your replies, they give me something to get on with (every little helps, financially!)
Phil.