Ellerman ship photos - Ships Nostalgia
22:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ellerman ship photos

User Tag List

Old 27th June 2007, 07:05

Ellerman ship photos

Hi, I have been building an Ellerman ship database for the past few years and have over 2300 pictures of Ellerman ships including Wilson, Bucknall, Papayanni, City, ACT ect. These date from the 1870's to the 1980's.
If anyone is looking for a photo of their old ship, I would be happy to e-mail you a copy free of charge. Since I have collected these from a vast variety of sources I have no idea who owns copyright to most of them so I would ask that you respect this and only use them for your own private use.
If anyone out there has any electronic copies of any Ellerman ships I would be happy to add them in to my database for everyones enjoyment.Please include the ships name and date. Thanks to Derek Hudson in Aussie for your valuable contribution.
Old 3rd July 2007, 04:47

Hello
Do you have any of the City of Canterbury (the last one) I was on her around 75
Thanks
Old 3rd July 2007, 18:27

City of Canterbury

Hi, I assume that since you mention 1975 that you are referring to the 1964 Canterbury and not the 1976 vessel. Just to be safe I've included a couple of pictures of both. Kind regards, Ian
Old 4th July 2007, 05:49

Thanks Ian
It was the 76 one, I must go back and check my discharge book, the mind is starting to go
Old 4th July 2007, 17:15

hi,
do you have any pictures of the Rapallo, and the Mediteranian, she was later named the Fenchurch and the City of Istanbul.i was on both of these in the 70s great ships.
Many Thanks.
Old 4th July 2007, 21:44

Mediterranean and Rapallo

Hi Chris, thanks for your enquiry. Here are the ships you requested. Good ships, good times, good luck. Ian Bailey
Old 4th July 2007, 23:04

do you have any of the later contaner boats i have one of the city of manchester, but need the lisbon and the liverpool star i was on them 85-87
Old 5th July 2007, 08:05

Many thanks Ian great pictures,spoke to a shipmate last night told him about your site, he said would you have a pic of the Sangro and Serento, i think they were wilsons, but not sure.Once again many thanks.
Chris Ryan.
Old 5th July 2007, 08:45

I did a coast as acting 3/0 on the Istanbul in about '76. They were desperate (obviously) and got me from the Wellington, where I was senior cadet. When the proper 3/0 turned up, I went back to the Wellington as cadet again, curses! I thought that it was my chance of early promotion! And, the junior cadet on the Wellington had done a runner, with some of my stuff as well!
Old 6th July 2007, 09:02

Hi Chouan, I think it was actually my promotion to 3/O that caused the downfall of the Ellerman empire. They had a successful shipping business and then I turned up in 1971. By the time they realized and managed to get shot of me in 1976, the rot had set in. So all you ex-Ellerman guys out there can blame me for being laid off!!!!!
Old 6th July 2007, 21:03

Smile Livorno

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileybloke View Post
Hi, I have been building an Ellerman ship database for the past few years and have over 2300 pictures of Ellerman ships including Wilson, Bucknall, Papayanni, City, ACT ect. These date from the 1870's to the 1980's.
If anyone is looking for a photo of their old ship, I would be happy to e-mail you a copy free of charge. Since I have collected these from a vast variety of sources I have no idea who owns copyright to most of them so I would ask that you respect this and only use them for your own private use.
If anyone out there has any electronic copies of any Ellerman ships I would be happy to add them in to my database for everyones enjoyment.Please include the ships name and date. Thanks to Derek Hudson in Aussie for your valuable contribution.
Hi, I have tried for years to get a photo of the Livorno, I spent most of my time as a Cadet on her from 1957, If you have one it would be great, cheers Terry
Old 6th July 2007, 22:06
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Electrician
Active: 1967 - 1979

My Father was torpedoed 10/10/1942 Rms Duchess of Atholl
the rescue vessel was HMS Corinthian a former Ellerman Lines
Ocean Boarding Vessel
rescued 821 survivors
Old 7th July 2007, 09:33
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Electrician
Active: 1967 - 1979

Thanks Ian

I wonder what she looked like as
Armed Merchant Cruiser
HMS Corinthian F 103
Cdr E.J.R. Pollitt

Great pictures when she was built
got some from Teeside site
with sister ship Ionian
Old 7th July 2007, 20:43

ellerman ship photos

Hi Baileybloke I've never been able to get a decent photo of my first ship the old City Of Lyons, I believe she was the only time they ever used that name, Here's hoping in advance, kind Regards Alan
Old 8th July 2007, 10:14

ellerman ships photos

Many thanks Ian, great to see those views of the old lady again, I,ll bet shipowners nowadays wish they could get the length of service that Ellermans got out of her. Once again many many thanks for your kindness in sharing yor photos with us Kindest Regards Alan Henderson
Old 13th July 2007, 15:00

Hi Ian,
I wonder if you have a picture of the Scicilian my first ship, joined her in London after leaving the Vindi.

Many thanks,

Alan
Old 16th July 2007, 17:25

Thanks Ian
Been looking for a picture of the old ship for years,new to this site its great.
I went to the Vindi in 1959 she was my first and only ship. I still go to the Vindi reunion each year and am a member of the "Severn Area Branch" of the Vindicatrix association. Trying to build a "Web Site" for the branch!!slow process.
Many thanks again.

Alan
Old 19th July 2007, 19:39

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileybloke View Post
I have great concern regarding this item. I am fully aware that Baileybloke is doing it for the benefit of members with no gain to him, however there must be a major breach of copyright laws. He didn't take the photographs, therefore some will have been scanned from his collection of original and others downloaded from websites. If the photos were scanned then over 50% will have the copyright on the back and this should be noted, if they were taken from a publication then beware, if the photos were taken from another site then does he have there permision to use them. Once they appear on a website without a copyright then other people will use them without any idea of the original source of the photo's.

I have a collection of over 2,000 photo's that I feel unable to publish them as I know where the copyright is, yet I see many of them produced on this and other sites. I have admired Ellerman's and although I do not have 1,000s I do recognise some of these displayed, and I know who has the copyright.

This is not an attack on Baileybloke, as it is good to be able to get a photograph of a ship sailed on by a relative, it is a warning for us all, just a case of be careful of what is shown.
Old 19th July 2007, 19:54

City of Calcutta

I have been trying for quite some time to obtain a photo of my first ship the City of Calcutta without much luck, maybe there is not that much interest in her as she was a right work house, the only picture I have is an origina water colour of her at the Mersey bar dropping the pilot. I would be most grateful if you could help in this matter,many thanks.
Regards Dave Fitzpatrick ex junior eng
Old 20th July 2007, 02:03

Copyright

Hi Baltic Wal, Thanks for the 'heads -up' regarding copyright. I have to be honest and say that I really don't know what the answer is. I was under the impression that there was not a problem if the photos were not used for financial gain which was why I ask people to respect this and only use them for there own private use. These photos are freely available to all on the internet and all I have done is pool these images and sort them into some kind of order. I would be interested to hear from anyone who knows exactly where we stand. If it turns out that I can't do this then I will have to ask the SN moderators to remove this thread. Thanks again, Ian
Old 20th July 2007, 14:10

My location
Ian, I agree with your thoughts and apparently the rules vary from country to coutry. Even the Moderators are confused as the subject has been covered many times.

I feel that we just have to be aware then act, as you are, to the best of our understanding and ability. Just be aware that some photo are easily identifiable from their source, for example the Fielden collection.

ian
Old 22nd September 2007, 06:31

looking for ship picture

Hello ;
I'm looking for a picture of the Ellerman line ship City of Vienna id# 1135577 launched 17 march 1914 built by Workman Clark Belfast. This ship was wrecked in 1918 outside Halifax Harbour Nova Scotia and is now a popular dive site . If you are interested I can provide you with some underwater pictures of what is now left of this vessel .
Thank you bluenoser
Old 22nd September 2007, 18:08

My location
Hi Ian, Was it you on the City of Dundee in December 1974? If so I have some slides of that voyage. You as King Neptune's daughter complete with a necklace of beer can ring-pulls amongst them. I was 2/0 then, great trip, my last with Ellermans! Rgds John
Old 4th October 2007, 00:04

Hi John, Yes thats me. I knew some embarrasing photos would surface sooner or later. You are right, they were good times. Great to hear from you.
Old 4th October 2007, 22:42

baileybloke, and John, I'll have had a drink with you on the Dundee then, in a general sense; I was on the Auckland as deck cadet from September '74 to Feb '75, and I, and others from the Auckland, visited the Dundee, in either Mombasa or Dar es Salaam during that time. We were on the E.African coast for most of late November and December, returning to the UK from Mombasa in January '75.