Ellerman ship photos - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
04:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ellerman ship photos

User Tag List

Old 4th October 2007, 23:07

Hi Chouan, I reckon it was Mombassa since I never got to Dar es Salaam.
It wasn't you that left without paying for your round was it? I did a couple of trips on the 'Auckland, deck cadet from July to October 1972 and 3/O from December 1975 to February 1976 where they chucked me off in Las Palmas to spend a few weeks in hospital in intensive care. Happy days.

Last edited by baileybloke; 4th October 2007 at 23:09..
Old 5th October 2007, 18:01

My location
Chouan,
It must have been Mombasa, called in there before Karachi. I remember a night up the Kilindini Rd, Sunshine Day and Night club followed by the Casablanca on the stagger back, with Hobbsy (lecky). Struggling to get my scanner working on Vista otherwise the pic would have been posted !!
Rgds
John
Old 5th October 2007, 22:43

It must have been Mombasa. I would have been the witty, stylish handsome one with a full head of hair. Now I'm just witty. I think.
Look at the gallery, you'll see a picture of the Dundee that I took from the Auckland.
Regards,
Peter
Old 10th October 2007, 00:40

Hello baileybloke,
Before you stop ,any chance of a nice Colour photo of the City of Newcastle in service around i975, 76.
Thank you
Old 16th October 2007, 01:15

John, were you on the Canterbury between June and December 78, your name is familiar so I guess it was Ellermans or maybe Buries Markes later
Old 21st October 2007, 15:42

My location
Motorman,
I left Ellermans in 75. Must have been Buries Markes, was there from 81 till 89. ended up as Capt. before joining Medway Pilots. Any clearer?? rgds
Old 28th October 2007, 13:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1976

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gurton View Post
Chouan,
It must have been Mombasa, called in there before Karachi. I remember a night up the Kilindini Rd, Sunshine Day and Night club followed by the Casablanca on the stagger back, with Hobbsy (lecky). Struggling to get my scanner working on Vista otherwise the pic would have been posted !!
Rgds
John
What Ellerman East Africa's 'Anchor Bar' was/is no more ?
Old 9th December 2007, 21:03

Hi,
I wonder if you can help with a picture of the Ellerman's Wilson steamship FINLAND, which was built by Earle's of Hull in 1884. She was sunk in a collision off Orkney in 1917, but the wreck was only found this year.

Thanks in anticipation,
Bob Baird
Old 15th December 2007, 11:28

Hi. I was 'leccy' 0n City of Ripon 1969-1970 City Liverpool 1973 any photo's would be appreciated.
Best wishes for xmas & new year Malcolm (Bennington)
Old 14th February 2008, 20:53

Smile ken bolton

HI Bailybloke do you have any photo's of the venetian I was EDH on her in 63 also the city of hartlepool regards ken
Old 17th February 2008, 13:56

Hello - I was wondering if you have a photo of Tycho in your collection?

From Disasters at SeaI think Ellermarfs is a typo.)
TYCHO
Ellermarfs Wilson Line; 1904; EarlessS.B.&E. Co.; 3,216 tons;
335x47x22-9; 189 n.h.p.; 9 knots; triple-expansion engines. The
steamship Tycho was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine
16 miles W. i S. of Beachy Head on May 20th, 1917. The captain
and 14 others were killed.

Cheers, Terry
Old 21st February 2008, 12:33

city of newcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileybloke View Post
Hi, I have been building an Ellerman ship database for the past few years and have over 2300 pictures of Ellerman ships including Wilson, Bucknall, Papayanni, City, ACT ect. These date from the 1870's to the 1980's.
If anyone is looking for a photo of their old ship, I would be happy to e-mail you a copy free of charge. Since I have collected these from a vast variety of sources I have no idea who owns copyright to most of them so I would ask that you respect this and only use them for your own private use.
If anyone out there has any electronic copies of any Ellerman ships I would be happy to add them in to my database for everyones enjoyment.Please include the ships name and date. Thanks to Derek Hudson in Aussie for your valuable contribution.
Ian, please PM me to exchange emails later regards coley

Last edited by K urgess; 21st February 2008 at 12:35.. Reason: email address removed as per site policy
Old 21st February 2008, 12:37

i joined city of newcastle in 1967 as junior engineer and had my 21st birthday on her in Karachi in 1968
Old 23rd February 2008, 16:19

Do you have the Wilsons Spero from 1922 and the Angelo from 1940s please
Old 23rd February 2008, 17:53

Many thanks for your offer, baileybloke.
I would dearly love to have decent pix of the three City boats in which I served my apprenticeship 1952-55:

Colchester (ex Samlea, liberty ship)
Edinburgh - 4 passsenger, fast . built 1937?
London- 12 passenger, built 1947

Thanks in advance

Chris Field
Old 24th February 2008, 00:49

Hi, The first ship I worked on as an apprentice fitter, was the City of Agra in Liverpool in 1951. I would appreciate a photo of her,she was a turbine ship with a huge engine room.
Many thanks,
Roy.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:00

Hi bailebloke, I'm not sure if this is of interest to you but I remember collecting callenders in the early sixties (I think) that were put out by the Ellerman line. Each month was accompanied by a painting of one of their ships and some were very evocative.

Cheers, Bill
Old 12th April 2008, 19:03

Hi Bill, thanks for getting in touch. I notice from your profile that you are an artist which explains your interest in the calendars. I have seen some of these in the past and you are quite right, they are evocative and definitely conjure up the magic of those grand old ships. My collection of photos is simply an attempt to rekindle some of the atmosphere of a very exciting part of my life. We can all dream. All the best, Ian
Old 12th April 2008, 22:39

Hi.
Just Hit Your Tred, Nice To See City Line Mentioned. I Did Two Trips On
The City Of Lichfield In The 1970s Great Trips, Would Appreciate Any Photos

The Names Are fading Of The Lads I Sailed With, Still Happy Memories
Thanks

RO Vintage( Ex marconi)
Old 13th April 2008, 03:25

Snap. I was 3/O on the 'Lichfield in the 70's. I'll dig out my discharge book and check out some dates. I might even come up with a few names for you. I'll get back to you in the next couple of days. I'll PM you to save tying up this thread. Leave it with me. Cheers, Ian.
Old 13th April 2008, 20:36

Hi Ian.

Thanks Your Msg Nice To Talk With You, You Are Welcome Anytime To Hit Me
With Photos.
Rgds

RO Vintage George Savage
Old 13th April 2008, 23:33

Ian,
Got one or two pics myself which I can send you when next on leave - the C o York (expect yopu've got loads already) and my first ship the C o Poona (although I suspect it's in Ben Line colours, as we were sold halfway through the trip and became Benarkle).
Vague memory of being 2/O on the Lichfield in 73 or 74 - must look back in my book. O/M was Davey Anderson, a nice guy from Belfast.
Harvey
Old 10th May 2008, 01:15

Hello Ian

Just Wondering About Photo "City Of Lichfield" Had Message From You A Few
Weeks Ago. Is There A Problem Sending Your Photo"s A Lot Of Threads About
Photo"s? Will Leave It With You Any Time Will Do
Thanks

RO Vintage (Ex Marconi)
Old 13th May 2008, 04:11

Hi everyone, sorry I've been a bit elusive just lately but as some of you will know, I lost my broadband connection at home and then I bought a new router on e-bay and that only lasted one night. Anyway, I've got it sorted now so apologies to anyone who has been awaiting a reply. I will try to catch up with all my mail over the next few days and I promise, if you've contacted me recently, I will get back to you.
Ian
Old 24th August 2008, 19:21

Cool hi baily,i am trying to get photo of the mv catanian

Please send me a PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileybloke View Post
Hi, I have been building an Ellerman ship database for the past few years and have over 2300 pictures of Ellerman ships including Wilson, Bucknall, Papayanni, City, ACT ect. These date from the 1870's to the 1980's.
If anyone is looking for a photo of their old ship, I would be happy to e-mail you a copy free of charge. Since I have collected these from a vast variety of sources I have no idea who owns copyright to most of them so I would ask that you respect this and only use them for your own private use.
If anyone out there has any electronic copies of any Ellerman ships I would be happy to add them in to my database for everyones enjoyment.Please include the ships name and date. Thanks to Derek Hudson in Aussie for your valuable contribution.

Last edited by K urgess; 24th August 2008 at 19:23.. Reason: email address removed as per site policy