Ugland Car Carriers - Ships Nostalgia
10:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ugland Car Carriers

User Tag List

Old 31st July 2007, 03:07

Ugland Car Carriers

Any one out there from uglands
Old 25th September 2007, 23:43
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
I was with Uglands - worked on their North sea boats in the early 80's and on the car carriers end of the 80's. I was on all of the car boats at some time or other.
Old 26th September 2007, 07:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
I was with Uglands - worked on their North sea boats in the early 80's and on the car carriers end of the 80's. I was on all of the car boats at some time or other.

Ever come across Ken Marshall - Master.
Old 26th September 2007, 08:57

My location
The name dos'nt ring a bell, I spent most of my time with Uglands on the car carriers-87 till 90, I'm pretty sure he was'nt there then.
Old 28th September 2007, 13:52

I was with Uglands from the 80's through to the 90's till we all got made redundant worked on all the ships the name does'nt ring a bell
Old 28th September 2007, 17:56

My location
I left about a year before the redundancies, car carriers arn't the most intresting ships to work on!! ibuthead..........I think I sailed with you on the Bahn, Sunderland dry dock, my first full trip with Uglands, after 3 years on Norwegian new builds and a few weeks on the Transporter, joining the Bhan was an eye opener!!! There was a cook on there named Ian, so I'm presuming its you.
Old 28th September 2007, 19:05

My location
Timo, I got the name wrong . It was Ken Wallace. We were at pre -sea
school together in 1962 so the memory was a bit off.
Old 28th September 2007, 20:23

My location
Ken Wallace, - a.k.a. Jocky Wallace......he was old man on the Autoline, I did a couple of trips with him, he came from Bank Line I think.
Old 29th September 2007, 09:28

My location
That's him. He left pre-sea to go to Bank Line. When did you sail with him ?.
Old 29th September 2007, 10:05

My location
Sailed with 'jocky Wallace' febuary/march 1988 and january/febuary 1989, both times on the Autoline. (6 week trips on the car carriers) He was still working for Uglands (now UECC) in the late 90's, unless he's retired I would presume he's still there.
Old 30th September 2007, 13:40

Ya your right it was me in sunderland drydock thats a long time ago
but can't place you ----I take it your from Grimsby
Ken wallace was still with UECC up to a couple of years ago went back for a while 10 years after got made redundant he was still there but he must have retired by now I would think
Old 30th September 2007, 14:11

My location
Yeah,it was a long time ago Ian, (20 years I think) and if I remember you were all ready on when I joined, Sven from Grimsby was one of the AB's, last time I saw him he was mate with UECC. I left early 1990, went onto Sally ferries out of Ramsgate, good move.
Old 2nd October 2007, 14:18

Yeah Not seen Sven for a while I think he is oldman now,I have been around a bit since then I'm still at sea out in the gulf of Mexico . It's a small world timo
Old 4th October 2007, 22:43

My location
Hey Butler are you still the best cook in the North Sea? Cos I am the best Bosun...guess who???Are you still in geordie land?Saw Elbo a few months back...Geoff
Old 24th October 2007, 22:33

Did any of you sail with my Father, Fred ( Chief Engineer ) "Strada", "Bahn", "Weg" or "Jarama"
Old 25th October 2007, 06:36
Active: 1964 - 1990

Sailed on the Strada, Bahn and Weg but cant remember who was chief. Cheers Jan.
Old 25th October 2007, 12:28

I worked for Ugland on their dive support vessel 'Ugland Comex1' sometimes when we laid up off charter we would do relieving jobs on the car carriers. I remember Capt.Derek Shorthouse, a lecky Tony Grout and a shore manager (ex engineer I think) Don Bruce, he also ran a taxi company "Beryl's Taxi's" I was on the 'Autobahn' running from Harwich to Flushing which was a killer. I thought the supply boats where bad enough for lack of sleep but that ship took the biscuit.
Old 26th October 2007, 11:39

My location
Reply to threads

Re the chief engineer that most definately would be the legend himself Freddy Lockett,was sorry to hear of his death as I would have been there to pay my respects,one of lifes true characters I understand some of the boys turned up to see him off.
Tony Grout was medically payed off through deafness about 2-3 years ago,I still see him or talk to him he spent a lot of time with Rockwaters before going back on the Coflexit/Technip ships ending there.
Old 13th April 2008, 01:36

Hi Ray I remember Derick shorthouse was on the Balder baffin in Canada with him and also Tony Grout from the autoroute And Don Bruce he is running Humber ship services in goole now those were the days
Old 13th April 2008, 07:44

Hi Ian,
I heard that both Derek and Tony have called it a day. I was last with Derek on the drilling rig 'Ocean Alliance' I'm trying to think of the chief engineers name on the Autobahn. 'Brian Slaughter' comes to mind, could that be right?
Ray Jordan
Old 15th April 2008, 02:10

Brian Slaughter might of been on the Bahn but I remember him from the route and line last I heard of him he was super for UECC living in Norway but that was a few years ago now
Old 15th April 2008, 07:38

Quite right Ian. it was the Autoroute not the Bahn. I'm also trying to think of the names of the captains. I'm sure they were from Cottingham and one of them was called Peter Holmes
Old 16th April 2008, 23:35

My location
Uglands

You are quite right Ray..Peter Holmes was on the Route from the beginning and came from Cottingham the same as phil Watts,Peter Atkin ?and Ken Dearlove ..I too sailed on all the ships after joining the company as Bosun from stevie Clarks and still keep in touch with the boys from Ugland reunion every other month if I am home ..Hello Ian hope your fit?
Old 19th April 2008, 16:56

Geoff,
Phil Watts. Yes that was the other captain I was trying to think of. I believe he was ex Ellerman and Wilson. They used the 'Tiger' in Cot and if my memory serves me well played for a local cricket team. There is another ex Ugland captain who's name escapes me but I'm sure he was from an Indian background. He went on to make a pile of cash by investing into the stowage sites where the cars were offloaded awaiting delivery. Before that he was in charge of the container terminal in KG dock in Hull.
Old 19th April 2008, 19:44

My location
Ugland Captains

The guy you are talking about is sam Judah I did a trip with him on his first command the WEG..He has a large house in Swanland and now owns a agency or something similar his oppo is another well known guy off the Route Steve Bland from Scarborough originally who was mate there and went on to be captain do believe he was on the UC1 the diving boat as a dp mate..
Incidentally Ray it is the Hull reunion this coming friday at the Trades and labour club 12-30 we are averaging 70 or so members a month now..Geoff