Denholm Line M V Carronpark - Ships Nostalgia
06:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Denholm Line M V Carronpark

User Tag List

Old 13th May 2005, 09:05

Denholm Line M V Carronpark

Does anyone know anything of the Denholm Line. I was on the MV Carronpark in about 1955. I believe there was a sistership Lylepark; the Company was mainly into tankers so I heard tell. when I joined her she was under charter to the British Phosphate Commision and was running [though not very fast] between Narau and Ocean Islands and Australian & New Zealand Ports
Old 4th June 2005, 14:45
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Carronpark 5328 tons built 1949 @c connell 421.7 x 57.2 x 25.1 1x 3cyl oil engine 2s csa. registered greenock code flags MCLC. DF,ESD, Gy C, Radar
Old 4th June 2005, 14:50
Super Moderator

J & J Denholm Fleet List As At 1953
Carronpark 1949 5328
Garvelpark 1945 7179
Hollypark 1942 7185
Lylepark 1951 5269
Mountpark 1946 6722
Wellpark 1946 6722
Old 7th June 2005, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipity
Does anyone know anything of the Denholm Line. I was on the MV Carronpark in about 1955. I believe there was a sistership Lylepark; the Company was mainly into tankers so I heard tell. when I joined her she was under charter to the British Phosphate Commision and was running [though not very fast] between Narau and Ocean Islands and Australian & New Zealand Ports
Denholms became the biggest ship management company in the UK in the '70s. They managed every kind of ship immaginable including innovations like container ships and ro-ros - "Euroliner", the first trans-Atlantic container ship, which had us all biting our nails, springs to mind. Not sure what happened to the company in later times.

I sailed on Denholm's iron ore carrier "Dunkyle" and a managed general cargo ship "Industria", owned by Metcalfes of British West Hartlepool - happy days in the White Man's Grave. Came away speaking fluent Glaswegian, Jimmy.

John T.
Old 7th June 2005, 17:00
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Department: Navigation

My location
John,
Whilst in Denholms, did you ever sail with a John MacKinnon, native of the Isle of Barra? Think he ended up as Chief Mate before he came over to us, to sail on the coast as C/O. I think he was more than happy with his lot and had no asperations to be Old Man. I sailed with him when he was 62!

Jim
Old 7th June 2005, 17:37

Hi Jim,

No sorry, don't think I met him, although I ran into a lot of "tcheuchters" in Denholms and Scottish Ship Management - great blokes.

Nice to see someone is still afloat.

Regards, John.
Old 25th July 2005, 14:35

Hi to All

I sailed on the MV Industria ( Jan 78 - Aug 78 ). My 1st trip straight out of the peanut factory. Joined in Cardiff, crew managed to wreck a sailing dingy the OLD Man had picked up mid atlantic. Dropped it staight down #5 hold. Went Venezula, States then to Gulf. Brought her back to Wallsend drydock eventually to handover to Indian buyers. Crew just like the United Nations Brummies,Cockneys, Irish, on deck, Scottish in galley ( Great food ) & welsh down with the donkeys.
Old 25th July 2005, 19:50

Colin butler, a hearty welcome to the sn site, you have a lot of like minded members here, I am sure you will enjoy it, and any current member of a Life boat crew is especially welcome. Look forward to hearing of your experiences.

Please take the time to read the thread "Guidelines To Posting" in either the Members Notice Board or Say Hello forums. Should help with any questions you may have regarding posting to the Site.

Last edited by michael james; 25th July 2005 at 19:51.. Reason: Addition
Old 29th July 2005, 23:00

sailed on a couple of denholm managed ships the db 50 a mcdermots derrick barge took her on her maiden voyage for them and the horizon labrador seismic survay wessel very interesting
Old 1st September 2005, 09:57

NEIL C
MEMBER'
I was a deck boy on the INVEREWE, aDENHOLMS, bulk carrier sailed out of North Sheilds 1960,s .During that time she was fitted with a self discharging crane which ran up the deck on rails ,i dont think it was very successful as it was constantly breaking down and very unstable in bad weather .
I recall we had 7 barra boys as crew ,me being one of them.
Old 3rd September 2005, 18:21

Ex Denholms "Naess Sovereign" Naess Champion" 1962-1968, Master was Calum MacPhee, from Barra, any old shipmates out there?
Old 4th September 2005, 22:03

Signed on the Dunadd one of Denholm's bulkers June 58 Glasgow. Mainly local crew good feeder . Seven Islands for ore to Birkenhead. Round trip of three weeks exactly. We were spoiled for choice of jobs then and enjoyed the freedom of paying off just for a change of scenery if nothing else. Mind you the world was worth seeing then and peace reigned almost all around the globe as I remember it. Halcyon days indeed with a sub in the pocket for runs ashore never to be forgotten. Time for a cuppa and tab nab. Joesoap.
Old 17th September 2005, 02:09

M V Carronpark

Thank you, for your reminders I recall now the Carronpark had a soccer team and played against other ships who were in port at the same time.We also carried bulk cargos but took 8 or 9 days to discharge; and a tot of rum on Sundays at sea They were good times; We have come a long way in the last 50 years
Old 17th September 2005, 03:59
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Chipity,

My time with Denholms was a bit after yours. However, the following extract from my profile may rekindle some memories out there.

Was a Deck Officer with J J Denholm, Glasgow (Denholm Ship Management) 1972 - 1981 (Deck Cadet, 3/O, 2/O) then came ashore to join HM Coastguard.

When at sea served on MV Troll River, MV Erskine Bridge, GTV Asiafreighter, MV Gina Maria, MV Nordic Crusader, MV Avon Bridge, GTV Asialiner, MV Arctic Troll, MV Troll Park, MV Vancouver Forest, MV Burmah Pearl, MV Seatrain Saratoga - served on some of these vessels on several trips.

Gulpers
Old 23rd September 2005, 23:18

The original question was around the Lylepark a Denholm ship that was originally built in 1929 and sunk 11th June 1942. Under the command of Captain Charles Stuart Low. His son Hamish sailed as Fifth Engineer in the new Refrigerated Cargo Ship Lylepark which was built after the war...1950 I think.

Chris
Old 3rd November 2005, 11:34

My location
I have a few photos of Carronpark taken in early 50s at Geelong, during my student days. As I recall, she was on her maiden voyage, written up in the local paper.
When I figure out how to do it I will post them,
Allan Collier
Old 29th May 2006, 19:35

My location
Denholm Line MV Carronpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybeti
Ex Denholms "Naess Sovereign" Naess Champion" 1962-1968, Master was Calum MacPhee, from Barra, any old shipmates out there?
I also sailed on both of these vessels during that period. I met the late Capt Calum's cousin from New York some years ago on holidays in Barra.

I left Denholms in '68 to work for Irish Shipping. Emigrated to South Africa in '74, transferred to Rio de Janeiro in '84.
Old 29th May 2006, 19:39
Super Moderator

Welcome sunny jim from the south of England, enjoy the site and all it has to offer.
Old 8th August 2006, 15:52

Mv Lylepark

I joined the MV LYLEPARK OFF.NO 183539.GRT 5270
At TILBURY on August 1959 TO DECEMBER 59 Sorry
i cannot remember a great deal about the voyage.
Regards Artie
Old 9th August 2006, 12:45

I was apprentice on Lylepark from April 59 to December 59. My recollection is trip(s) down west africa coast, from Bathurst to Lagos , stopping at many ports both southbound and northbound. Mate's name was Ernie Warman from Aberdeen. Also recall that Lylepark was sold to Nigerian National shipping line
Old 26th October 2006, 12:20
Active: 1956 - 2002

My location
Was it the Carronpark that managed to keep sailing after one of the units on the 3 legged Doxford main engine failed. I believe that they hung-up the offending unit and procceeded towards the UK on two units before taking on a tug near the irish coast. Any of the engineers still around?
Rgds. Robert36.
Old 29th October 2006, 11:46

hi all has anybody any info on the tv morar denholms of glasgow an ore carrier registerd in greenock i sailed on her in 63 from port talbot she was always breaking down at sea kepowee
Old 29th October 2006, 16:19

Morar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepowee View Post
hi all has anybody any info on the tv morar denholms of glasgow an ore carrier registerd in greenock i sailed on her in 63 from port talbot she was always breaking down at sea kepowee
Hi kepowee,
Sailed on her in 1961, one trip as part of a "hit sqad" to overhaul
neglected machinery, however we spent most of our time keeping
gasifiers functioning.

Believe she was sold to a German company who fitted conventional
diesel machinery in 1967 and renamed CLARI.

Cheers
Archie.

Last edited by ARRANMAN35; 30th October 2006 at 14:00..
Old 30th October 2006, 10:43

My location
Thumbs up Denholms

Greetings. I served with Denholms for twenty years from 1961 to the bitter end when they went foreign and made us all redundant. I remember all the ships mentioned above and served on Naess Trader,Clarkeden, Clarkavon, Naess Pioneer, Gleddoch, Morar, Glenpark, Inverewe, Industria, Federal Hudson, Bibi, Fidentia, Dunadd, Vento di maestrali, Vancouver Trader, Dunelmia, Conon Forest, Sig Ragne, Nordic Trader, Scotspark, Troll Park, Vancouver Forest, the m/v Redundant, so I went to Sealink for Five years.
Now happily retired.
Regards to all
Terry
Old 8th November 2006, 21:15

Morar.

Hi Guys,
The "Morar" rings a bell in my memory. In 1950 "Rankin & Blackmores" of Greenock were trying to stay alive by building the first merchant vessel gas turbine marine engine. I was leaving to go to sea at that time and I completely lost track of what happened to the vessel the gas turbine was installed into I seem to recall the name "Morar " and she was fitted out in the James Watt Dock. When I enquired about her I was told she was nothing but trouble and eventually had the engines pulled and replaced by a diesel. Can anyone enlighten me about this as I've always been curious about the outcome of that engine?

Neil Mac.