Van der Westhuizen (aged just 45) - Ships Nostalgia
20:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Van der Westhuizen (aged just 45)

User Tag List

Old 6th February 2017, 15:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1981

Van der Westhuizen (aged just 45)

Van der Westhuizen, who has died aged 45, ranked among the finest scrum-halves the rugby world has ever seen. He played 89 Tests for South Africa, scoring 38 tries, between 1993 and 2003....

The bravery he displayed in his subsequent fight against the ravages of motor neurone disease was more inspiring still....
Old 6th February 2017, 15:51

A brilliant player, how the 'Boks could do with the likes of him now.
Old 6th February 2017, 19:53
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

He was pretty brave when he tackled Jonah Lomu. His record on the field of play speaks for itself, and his spirit and determination in the face of grim adversity is inspirational.

R.I.P.
Old 7th February 2017, 12:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

I had the pleasure of attending an England v South Africa test match at Twickenham a few years ago with a customer. I am more into my football than Rugby but it was a fantastic experience. Van Der Westhuizen was the Captain and he gave a fantastic display of Scrum Half play. Probably the best I had ever seen. It stuck in my memory all this time, really sad to hear this. Reading the various obituaries it is clear that his battle against the horrible disease was even more inspiring! He was a fabulous athlete and it is very ironic that he was attacked like this. RIP and thanks for the memory.