SS Pacific Envoy Furness Withy - Ships Nostalgia
14:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

SS Pacific Envoy Furness Withy

User Tag List

Old 18th April 2008, 17:54

SS Pacific Envoy Furness Withy

I sailed on this ship '61/63 as Engs.steward. I had the A4 plans for 40 years and eventually made my first scratch build last year. Not museum standard.
We carried general cargo (include whiskey) from UK to West coast of US and Canada. One trip was during Cuban crisis when we were 'bussed' by US ships and planes, carrying whiskey to the Americans helped I think. On the return voyage we lost the f'ward wood cargo in a hurricane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pacific Envoy 1.JPG (54.6 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg Pacific Envoy 2.JPG (79.2 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Pacific Envoy 3.JPG (68.8 KB, 208 views)
Old 19th April 2008, 02:35

My location
Hi PJ
Was that the same hull you had the pics of in KShips thread??
She looks great.. I was a couple of years before you on that run on the Pacific Fortune. Recall same circumstances in the Caribs - lost most of the lumber deck cargo in a hurricane.
Where did yo come by the plans - after seeing your pics I may well start a model of the Fortune in the future, they were similar enough.
Jim Mac
Old 29th April 2008, 15:41

More photos

Hi Jim Mac
The hull is the same one. The plans were in Model Boats June 1966, the ship was the Stronghold which I believe was the sister ship to the Envoy. The superstructure of the Fortune is slightly different from the Envoy, but the hull shape looks the same. There were 6 ships on this 3 month run, Reliance, Unity and Northwest.
PJ
PS: I don't know if copying would infringe an copyright ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ship no 5 (Medium).JPG (68.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Ship no 6 (Medium).JPG (64.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Ship no 7 (Medium).jpg (54.1 KB, 84 views)
Old 29th April 2008, 17:01

My location
PJ
The names of the ships were to spell out FURNESS - Fortune, Unity, Reliance, Northwest, Envoy, Stronghold. They never did come up with the second S.
It was a fantastic run - as you say mostly whisky but I also recall fancy sports cars, and for some reason cases of Robertsons jam come to mind.. all sort of stuff. On the return apart from lumber we had oranges and apples.
It was lot of work marking off the different lots for various discharge ports.
Re plans - copyright issue - I'll get in touch with Model Boats and see if they still have it in their archives (Stronghold) As to superstructure - I have a GA plan of the Reliance and I have some photos of the Fortune for comparison.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Jim Mac
Old 30th April 2008, 16:03

My location
PJ
Found a copy of Model Boats June 1966 issue for sale in e-Bay. Seller confirmed 2.5 page article on the 'Stronghold' including line drawings.
We might be discussing scale and power options in a couple of weeks.
Cheers
Jim Mac
Old 30th April 2008, 16:49

I sailed as an Apprentice on the "Pacific Ranger" (Liberty ship ex "Samdaring") in 1951/2 on the Los Angeles/Middle East pipe run, and the "Pacific Nomad" (Liberty ship ex "Samavon") in 1953-54 on the UK/West coast N. America run. We carried general cargo in open stowage topped off with whisky and sports cars (250,000 cases of whisky in open stowage is hard to control!) and brought lumber, mostly railrod ties, back to the UK. We routinely lost partial deck-loads of lumber in the North Atlantic as railroad ties were too short to bind together properly.
Captain Patrick R.M.Toomey, Canadian Coast Guard, (retired).
Old 30th April 2008, 19:49

My location
Hello Patrick.
As I recall the worst part when it came to 'control' were the dockies in Glasgow loading the whisky. If they couldn't talk you into opening a case and giving them a bottle or two they would 'bounce' the incoming pallets until something broke and they got their grog.. then there was always one that was too drunk to climb out of the hatch at the end of the shift...
Lumber on deck - when you see turnbuckles the size of your forearm snapped and bent you definitely appreciate the forces of Mother Nature....
Cheers
Jim Mac
Old 30th April 2008, 22:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG1412 View Post
I sailed on this ship '61/63 as Engs.steward. I had the A4 plans for 40 years and eventually made my first scratch build last year. Not museum standard.
We carried general cargo (include whiskey) from UK to West coast of US and Canada. One trip was during Cuban crisis when we were 'bussed' by US ships and planes, carrying whiskey to the Americans helped I think. On the return voyage we lost the f'ward wood cargo in a hurricane.
HI Looks good to me wish i had the time to build one myself

stuart
Old 1st May 2008, 16:09

Sailed on the "Northwest" in 56/57. Brilliant ship and a brilliant run. The Captain was called Perry, an absolute gentleman. I was the R/O, but he never called me Sparks - always "Marco"!
You are to be complimented on your model - it's almost a dead ringer for the photo of the "Northwest" I have on my study wall!
Old 5th April 2010, 00:01
Active: 1967 - 1970

i sailed on pacific envoy when it was Rms loch ryan. The runs to Frisco were the greatest.we carried 12 passengers. Perry was captian Butler was Chief engineer.
I think the store keeper received OBE for services to MN. Whisky Galore Boats!
Old 5th April 2010, 00:04

have built model SD14, similar to furness ships
Old 9th April 2010, 08:05
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1960

I sailed as deck apprentice on the Pacific Northwest from 56 - 58. Good ship, good run - met my wife of 50 years in Nanaimo loading pulp at the Harmac Pulp Mill. We nearly lost a load of deck cargo off the Washington State coast - sure made a mess of the port fo'cstle ladder when it shifted. Out of Glasgow usually loaded about 120,000 cases of liquor, mostly Scotch. Also cars, Morris Minors, etc., with the odd Rolls Royce and Aston Martin thrown in for good measure. Everything else from bags of nails, to steel plate, to ladies powder compacts. On the return from Vancouver, B.C., grain, apples, wood pulp, newsprint, lumber, and then further south citrus fruit, dried fruit from Stockton, California, and cotton waste. First mate's name was Cole, believe he went into Thames pilotage when he left the ship. Worst job? -- Taking the deep tank fuel oil soundings with mercator gauges, pumping up pressure jammed between the Yarrows boilers and the bulkhead when going through the Panama Canal. (Maybe not - perhaps working a whirly hammer chipping the decks which suffered from sea water under the deck cargoes.
Old 9th April 2010, 17:25

Must be getting old - was already blonde. After sleeping on it, I recalled the first mate's name was not Cole, but Stanley Coe.
Old 26th April 2010, 23:34

Hi, I was 4th mate on the Northwest in about 62 or 3 did 4 trips in her. Captain was Simms. Real gentleman. Whiskey, cars, lumber, apples, citrus and plenty more. Trip after trip. Was an apprentice in the Envoy about 59/60. Can you remember a Dave Greenwood on the Reliance? Rgds Chris Giles
Old 28th July 2010, 21:14
Active: 1959 - 1998

After a time away from ShipsNostalgia It's good to return and find some Furness Chat.
I too enjoyed the West Coast Run and spent a number of happy trips there,latterly on the Fortune as 4th Mate with Capt Simonds,Duggie Aitchison Mate,Roger Hann 2/o and Brian Dyson 3/0.
Old 28th July 2010, 23:27

Did you know James Downie Chief Electrician? Capt Bob?
Old 20th December 2011, 10:25

Yes, I knew Jimmy Downie well. I completed my Engineering Apprenticeship with Furness with 2 voyages on the Envoy in 1962 and often worked with him on daywork. He was a very interesting character with a wealth of experience.
Cannot remember the name of the Chief Engineer at the time but he was Lt Commander RNR and being an apprentice I was not meant to forget it . Henry Topping was the 2nd Eng. and Wilf. Dickinson Jnr 2nd.
After The Envoy I sailed on the Pacific Reliance for 18 months as Junior and 4th Engineer before sitting my 2nd Class Steam Cert.
John Greaves, Ch Eng. Gordon Taylor, 2nd Eng and Olly Mark Jnr 2nd.
Old 20th December 2011, 19:37
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

I sailed on Pacific Unity as J/E late1961-mid 1962.
Frank Geraghty was Chief, Gordon Taylor Senr 2nd and John Sealey (spelling?)
was Jnr 2nd. The other two J/E were Bob Sanderson and John Roberts.
Bob had been on Queen of Bermuda, John Roberts on Nova Scotia - I was a first trip J/E. I found Gordon Taylor to be a great guy - a genial Geordie
I made contact with Bob Sanderson fairly recently he retired as a Senior Chief Engineer with P&O Ferries.
Old 21st December 2011, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG1412 View Post
Pacific Northwest 56 - 58. Didn't get "buzzed" but came close to loosing a deck cargo of lumber off Cape Flattery in some really "snotty" conditions. Shifting cargo made a right mess of the port side fo'cstle ladder.
Old 21st December 2011, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim MacIntyre View Post
Hello Patrick.
As I recall the worst part when it came to 'control' were the dockies in Glasgow loading the whisky. If they couldn't talk you into opening a case and giving them a bottle or two they would 'bounce' the incoming pallets until something broke and they got their grog.. then there was always one that was too drunk to climb out of the hatch at the end of the shift...
Lumber on deck - when you see turnbuckles the size of your forearm snapped and bent you definitely appreciate the forces of Mother Nature....
Cheers
Jim Mac
They'd only bounce the pallets with the wooden cases --- when they strained the whisky into their tea cans it didn't taste -- the cardboard cartons made the contents taste of cardboard. They reserved those to cut a three sided lid on the case (mickeys) so they could help themselves whenever.
Old 24th December 2011, 22:55

I remember being berthed at New Westminster one afternoon , and seeing 6 to 8 deck crew walking down the gangway each carrying a case of Whisky on their shouders and walk across to the Northwest (I think) It may have been a Sunday as the dockside was completely empty, so there was nobody to stop them, it was so brazon.
As for the lumber being lost, I took some photos from the monkey island during the storm I will try to find them.

Pete
Old 25th December 2011, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim MacIntyre View Post
PJ
Found a copy of Model Boats June 1966 issue for sale in e-Bay. Seller confirmed 2.5 page article on the 'Stronghold' including line drawings.
We might be discussing scale and power options in a couple of weeks.
Cheers
Jim Mac
Jim Mac
Did you make any headway with this? My Pacific Envoy is gathering dust these days as another project starts.
Pete
Old 24th January 2012, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavistock View Post
Yes, I knew Jimmy Downie well. I completed my Engineering Apprenticeship with Furness with 2 voyages on the Envoy in 1962 and often worked with him on daywork. He was a very interesting character with a wealth of experience.
Cannot remember the name of the Chief Engineer at the time but he was Lt Commander RNR and being an apprentice I was not meant to forget it . Henry Topping was the 2nd Eng. and Wilf. Dickinson Jnr 2nd.
After The Envoy I sailed on the Pacific Reliance for 18 months as Junior and 4th Engineer before sitting my 2nd Class Steam Cert.
John Greaves, Ch Eng. Gordon Taylor, 2nd Eng and Olly Mark Jnr 2nd.
sailed on Envoy abd reliance/ Envoy was the cleaner vessel
Old 24th January 2012, 23:28

I did a couple of voyages on the Envoy as a deck apprentice in the mid-sixties. She was indeed a fine ship though not a particularly happy one as I recall. It was a great run indeed although as a deck apprentice with all that whisky in the cargo, and 24 hour dock working in just about every port, one was extremely lucky to see much outside of a cargo hold for most of the coastal passage.
CBoots
Old 25th January 2012, 03:07

My location
sailed 0n the pacific liberty.galley boy,52-53.ex liberty ship.
samcalia.ran aground entrance to coos bay.up to the usual
ports vancouver,seatle and such.on the way back to the uk
spent three weeks in cristobel us navy docks getting repairs
after running aground coos bay ,
liverbob