Broadband an Sky TV - Ships Nostalgia
15:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Broadband an Sky TV

User Tag List

Old 22nd March 2017, 14:15

Broadband an Sky TV

Based in UK. We have got fed up of Sky broadband & TV, because it is virtually impossble to contact them if problems arise, and the bill seems to go up relentlessly every month, no two months bills being the same!
------
Can anyone suggest a good server for telephone and broadband, who has reasonable charges, and can be contacted if the need arises?
Would like to ditch the TV part.

Therefore

Can anyone recommend a good Sky box for Sky Freeview and the standard channels listed below?. I believe these boxes will work on Sky satellite dishes that Sky do not take away if you leave them. Would like the normal Sky features such as record two channels at the same time. Capabiity of pausing a live TV channel, or running it back a bit. Not looking for much in the way of channels, not interested in sport at all. We mainly watch freeview, as generally nothing of interest to us on main channels, although occasionally someting that appeals comes up on BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5.

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:14
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Bob,

In conjunction with a Humax video recorder (PVR) we have watched Freesat (the satellite equivalent of the Freeview terrestrial TV services) for many years, since its introduction. We currently use an LG TV receiver with a built-in satellite tuner and a Humax satellite PVR which can receive and record 2 channels simultaneously - a combination that allows us to watch one channel whilst recording two others. (TV schedulers across the channels seem to delight in airing all the good shows at the same time - the ability to save a couple to watch another time gives us a chance to frustrate them). We have a satellite aerial with 3 feeds to facilitate such use and it can be used for Freesat or Sky without adjustment.

The latest Humax PVR can be seen at http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat...reetime/314758. This is a 'Smart' device that can connect to the internet via your home network/connection and access Catch-Up and On-Demand TB services. Since our TV already has that facility we don't need such sophistication and have a different model Humax PVR.

There are cheaper products on the market from other manufacturers but, as a very-satisfied Humax user for over 20 years, I have never been tempted to cut corners and try them.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbuilder View Post
Based in UK. We have got fed up of Sky broadband & TV, because it is virtually impossble to contact them if problems arise, and the bill seems to go up relentlessly every month, no two months bills being the same!
------
Can anyone suggest a good server for telephone and broadband, who has reasonable charges, and can be contacted if the need arises?
Would like to ditch the TV part.

Therefore

Can anyone recommend a good Sky box for Sky Freeview and the standard channels listed below?. I believe these boxes will work on Sky satellite dishes that Sky do not take away if you leave them. Would like the normal Sky features such as record two channels at the same time. Capabiity of pausing a live TV channel, or running it back a bit. Not looking for much in the way of channels, not interested in sport at all. We mainly watch freeview, as generally nothing of interest to us on main channels, although occasionally someting that appeals comes up on BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5.

Bob
Might be worth your while to check out SSE the utilities company. I got a really good deal from them when I signed up almost 2 years ago. No problem contacting them, and all their call centres are U.K. based.
Please do not be tempted by BT, I had disastrous dealings with them, as had many of my friends and colleagues.
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:48

Thanks for replies. The Humax PVR sounds very inetersting, and I have looked at the demonstrations via the link. Bypassing the broadband server appeals greatly, so after the initial cost, that is it unless it breaks down. BT have tried to hook us, but am rather wary, as I have heard some pretty bad reports on them. We would really like to keep the TV separate from the broadband and telephone, because that is what seems to put the cost up. It will be a while before our contract ends, but may go along the path of establishing the Skybox system and just writing the Sky TV off. Then, at the end of the contract, just look for a better deal on phone/broadband, if there is such a thing. I like the idea of being able to have the box elsewehere, as our router is in a diffenrt room to the TV! So, it just seem a matter of plugging ther box into the router, and using a couple of mains plug type comunicators!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:20
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I've had the TV package from Sky for 20 years but was quite happy until last year to stick with my old broadband provider. However their service fell off mightily when Plustnet took them over, so I moved on, and Sky offered the best deal at the time given that I had the TV package. This included a huge increase in speed thanks to fibre provision via FTTC.

However I must agree with Shipbuilder in that once you're in, they treat you as a cash cow, relentlessly pushing up the price on all services from TV/Landline/Broadband. The only way to get a good deal from them is to be coming in from new !!!

So here I am having to contemplate changing yet again ... so much for bloody 'competition improves services' BS I'm forever hearing. Murdoch is yet again bidding for full control of Sky, he isn't going to give up. If he gets it, I'm definitely out.
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:29
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

..........how odd Bob...my service has dramatically improved by using Plusnet ( of course a BT owned company)....

geoff
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:44

My location
Well Madasafish were noted for their fine service, yet when Plusnet took them over it became unstable and unreliable and my attempts to contact them about it went ignored. What can I say ?
Old 29th March 2017, 14:11

In preparation for leaving Sky, we yesterday got a new TV (Samsung) and a Humax Freesat box. After the usual messing about with unintelligle instructions, got it going. Very pleased with the picture quality and choice of stations and programmes. The only poor thing was the sound. It was nowhere near loud enough, and comes from a tiny speaker in the back of the TV. Plugged the computer speakers into it and considerably better, but would still like a bit of spare volume. May make a custom amplifier for it. It does everything the old Sky box did.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 29th March 2017, 14:35

Quote:
In preparation for leaving Sky, we yesterday got a new TV (Samsung) and a Humax Freesat box. After the usual messing about with unintelligle instructions, got it going. Very pleased with the picture quality and choice of stations and programmes. The only poor thing was the sound. It was nowhere near loud enough, and comes from a tiny speaker in the back of the TV. Plugged the computer speakers into it and considerably better, but would still like a bit of spare volume. May make a custom amplifier for it. It does everything the old Sky box did.
Bob
You need a Sound Bar Bob

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 29th March 2017, 14:51
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
The only poor thing was the sound. It was nowhere near loud enough, and comes from a tiny speaker in the back of the TV.
The modern vogue for ever-slimmer TVs leaves no depth in which to house decently-sized speakers. As the Chief says, a sound bar will sort the problem.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 29th March 2017, 15:20

Trouble is - I don't know what a "sound bar" is! Unless you are talking about the ever-popular bars that appear on computers, and creep ever-more slowly across or upwards when searching. If that is the case, I found the sound bar straight away, and pushed it right to the top - still not loud enough, and neither of us have faulty hearing - quite acute, actually!
On most programmes, the computer speakers are very good, giving adequate volume. It just hapenned that the programme I first tried them on had low sound anyway. It is simply that the internal speakers are far too small!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 29th March 2017, 15:24

I have just found out what a "sound bar" is, via Google! Another expensive piece of kit, in which I have no great faith anyway I guess I will either get some spare computer speakers for it, or build an amplifier.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 29th March 2017, 15:28

My location
Flat screens are wonderful, nobody denies. But Ron is right, making a flat speaker is just a no no. So, in the main, you have to go for an external sound system with a modern telly.

This can involve a full cinema system with bars of speakers fastened to the wall, laying on the table and a big bass speaker rumbling the floor, often coming with a complete blu-ray DVD player, fibre sound feed from the TV the whole bloody shebang.

The price we have to pay for a flat screen tv, .. but in all fairness, considering the size of old style tellys, ( nearly as deep as they were broad) I think it's worth paying. (You can always thrown in a popcorn machine for the price.)
Old 29th March 2017, 15:33

It is no big deal building an amplifier, but the computer speakers may well be loud enough anyway!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 29th March 2017, 15:42

My location
There is an upside.

When you're watching something, you are immersed in a sound system that makes you think you're in a cinema, but you don't have to put up with noisy [email protected] all around you munching crisps, yakking and slurping sugary sh1t out of polystyrene cups.

God I luv old age, ya get to do politically correct grumpiness.
Old 29th March 2017, 16:40
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 1983

Quote:
Bob
Most modern TVs have a poor sound quality.A good sound bar with a sub woofer soon sorts out the sound quality.I matched up my JVC tv with a LG soundbar and subwoofer
Old 29th March 2017, 17:02

One of the biggest problems with modern technology, as far as I am concerned, is the fact that those who write the instructions seem to assume that the reader knows eveything there is to know about it anyway! So - I am suddenly confronted with a solution - "A good sound bar with a sub woofer," but without any explanation about what it is, and how it works. I still don't know how a sound bar works, whether it be electronic or just a mechanical directing of the sound.
Not that I am planning on getting one, after seeing the costs involved. I am sure I can solve the problem with an amplifier, if the computer speakers are still not loud enough. Took me all morning to figure out how to set up the system and get it going, and the instruction book was not much help. As I am writing this, Sky has just phoned to try and get us to stay, I suppose! My wife is dealing with it the moment!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 29th March 2017, 17:52

It appears that we are not on a contract with Sky, but a "running Agreement" that we can terminate by giving 30 days notice. They also gave us the option to ditch Sky TV and just have broadband, line rental and phone calls for 36.99 a month thereby saving about 20 a month on TV that we can now get for nothing on the Freesat. We will decide whether to stay or go during the next 30 days, during which time, we will watch the stored films in the Sky box. Fortunately, there are only a handful! Also, may look round for a better deal on broadband, line rental and phone!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 29th March 2017, 18:39

In its basic, original, form a sound bar is just a stereo loudspeaker enclosure that connects to the sound output of your television, so a good PC speaker set will do the job.
They have evolved somewhat - Dolby, surround sound in its many manifestations, fancy shaped boxes to match the TV, digital inputs etc. They still do the same job but, so the sales folk will tell you, better.

When we say that modern flat screen TVs have poor quality speakers we are comparing them with the previous generation of wide screen stereo-sound sets. Go back another generation - A single poky little 7" x 4" sat just next to the screen to which, in comparison, the speakers in the new sets are pretty good.
Old 30th March 2017, 15:44

Just got some cheapo computer speakers for about 12.99 and they are working fine - problem solved! When I was purchasing the TV, I noticed a USB port in the back. I asked if I put a stick with a video in it, would it play. "Definitely not," came the reply, it is a servicing aid, or used for USB charging. After I got the system sorted, I naturally put a USB stick in it to see what would happen. It played the video beautifully. So - I can now download from UTube using Real Player (free version), put it on a stick, and play it through the TV!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships