Anyone still working at sea? - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Anyone still working at sea?

User Tag List

Old 24th August 2005, 16:21
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

My location
Pat,
That's correct. They've been sent back to the builders (in San Diego) to have this rectified, or so I'm led to believe.

Jim
Old 24th August 2005, 16:25
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

If its a free bar, they have the right type of ship to replendish it.
Old 8th September 2005, 22:33

Did my first trip on the British Scientist back in 1977 Still at sea after a few shots at working ashore dont like it ( working ashore that is ) Jobs so few and far between now what with all the cheap labour Working in the North Sea now Supply or Anchor Handling agency work
Old 8th September 2005, 23:33

Wink

Had a shipmate who sailed on the British Workman years back,his name for her was the British Workhouse!!!!!!
Regards Chas
Old 22nd September 2005, 15:38

hi my son in law works for rockwater he as been on rocky two loads of time and all the boats rockwater have he is on of the riggers onboard you might he as been with them 18 year and through all there name changes
his name is PETER FOSTER FOZZY
SAM
Old 22nd September 2005, 22:06

My location
john how come u live in missouri i no it beats uk tel

Old 23rd September 2005, 02:15

Getting back to Malcoms original question, I am also in Campeche, on the McDermott DB101.
Old 23rd September 2005, 18:58
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - Present

Smile

Yes, rolling around right now on a FPSO off Port Harcourt
Old 25th September 2005, 00:55

Looking at the numbers on some of the discharge books, I guess I must still be wet behind the ears.
R855183
Old 25th September 2005, 01:04

Oh yes you are arent you....but honest we wont hold it against you.
Cheers..
Old 18th November 2005, 21:26
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Only Brit out of a crew off 350 in Gulf of Mexico
Old 18th November 2005, 22:19

Africa Mercy

Yes. I went to sea in 1957. I'm now 65 and have been working as a deckie on the Africa Mercy. Former Danish train ferry being converted to a hospital ship. I've started to have second thoughts about the MN as a career but I suppose it's a bit late now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg africamercy.jpg (63.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 21st November 2005, 02:59
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
Good lord, makes me feel quite young: R907127. The only number I can really remember.
Old 21st November 2005, 07:16
user

My location
Jim, we sold the earlier 'British Pioneer' to Turkish interests and he had the (lack of) style to re-name it "Tish Pion" - I can never understand how having bought something as special as a ship, someone cannot be moved enough to christen her something speciial.
Old 21st November 2005, 07:26

My location
Tish Pion???? Good Lord !!! Well, I guess it saved paint and signwriters !!
Old 21st November 2005, 10:03
user

My location
Oz, maybe it meant something romantic in Turkish, but I fear your assessment is more likely; afterall the rather pleasant name of "TEVIOTBANK" was changed to "Teviotban" when she was sold and that is, to my mind, even worse than our Turkish friend's use of paint
Old 21st November 2005, 13:09

Polarum, I believe the Africa Mercy hospital ship was called the Ingrid when she was a Danish ferry, I piloted this ship twice in 1999 and she had been in the river a while then, six years on and she is still not finished, any idea when she will finally be finished.
Old 21st November 2005, 13:33
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
-30 November, 2005
http://www.mercyships.org/images/print2.gif
http://www.mercyships.org/images/email2.gif

1-30 November, 2005

Newcastle, U.K.

Shaping Up

Onboard the Africa Mercy, things are starting to take shape. The linoleum has been laid in the hospital area as well as the dining http://www.mercyships.org/images/cli...11012005-5.jpgarea. Much of the fixed furniture has been installed. All of this is happening simultaneous to the hospital ship being towed into an approximate two-week dry dock phase. To undergo its yearly required underwater hull survey.

During these two weeks, the Mercy Ship will complete the installation of a 25 ton crane, the installation of 150-man lifeboat guards, welding and load testing of bunkering bollards, as well as load testing of the winches. The shipyard will also complete shipside structural work, as well as installing the bow thruster guards.

http://www.mercyships.org/images/client/ACF87C.jpgStaffing for the initial outreach in Ghana continues for the cities of Tema and Takoradi. Along with staffing, procurement of much needed items continues. Recently 100,000 free safety syringes were donated by a US company. Another company has generously agreed to outfit the whole hospital with IV hooks. It is also an encouragement to see the installation of the medical trunking going up in the hospital. Recently installed in the hospital as well has been the Washer-Disinfector and Sterlizer equipment.

The Africa Mercy recently purchased and received 634 life jackets, immersion suits and thermal protective aid. Special thanks go to crew members Chris and Vicki Gregg who raised the funds to cover these purchased items by partaking in the Great North Run, the world’s largest half-marathon. They raised over £7,000 for this. It’s through efforts of people like Chris and Vicki that so much progress is being made. The deck department still needs mooring lines at £550 each, £8,000 for servicing 10 life rafts, and a 4-ton diesel powered Fork Lift Truck (approx. £10,000 for a reconditioned truck). If you are able to donate the items, or help purchase these, please contact the Procurement Coordinater, Russell Holmes at [email protected]

My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 25th February 2006, 11:30

Ray Jordan DPO

I'm still at sea. Spent many years on salvage tugs and supply vessels befoe becoming a DPO (20 years) presently on a Flotell called 'Safe Concordia' being towed by the 'Wolraad Woltemade' from Singapore to Bay of Campeche in Mexico for contract with Pemex. Voyage expected to take 3 months (via Suez) Have worked on many of the DP vessels you guys have mentioned including Balmoral Sea, Uncle John etc.
Ray Jordan
Old 25th February 2006, 11:34
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo
I'm still at sea. Spent many years on salvage tugs and supply vessels befoe becoming a DPO (20 years) presently on a Flotell called 'Safe Concordia' being towed by the 'Wolraad Woltemade' from Singapore to Bay of Campeche in Mexico for contract with Pemex. Voyage expected to take 3 months (via Suez) Have worked on many of the DP vessels you guys have mentioned including Balmoral Sea, Uncle John etc.
Ray Jordan
Same as Ray spent many a year on Salvage Tugs,Specialized vessels etc and now offshore Gabon on Heavy Lift Crane Barge Thialf
Old 25th February 2006, 16:12

Ships Mail

undefined
Hi There
glad you are at sea
I collect ships mail
Will you post me a couple of letters so I get your ships cancel and a Paquetbot cancel
All I need is where your ship is registered and a mailing address I will then send you 2 SAE
many thanks
Fred in UK
Old 25th February 2006, 22:34
Wee John

My location
Wee John

I'm still working, and still trying to teach cadets the proper way to do the job.
They are the future and I hope to pass on some of the pride we had in our work. OK it has changed but the basic is still the same. There are a few dinosaur's left at sea.
Old 25th February 2006, 22:53
Active: 1968 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo
Ray Jordan
Ray,
Small world. I was on the Balmoral Sea for a couple of trips. Last time I left her was three days before she caught fire and capsized in New Orleans. (I had nothing to do with it- Honest!)

I just got home Thursday night from my ship 'Global Explorer' which works in the Bay of Campeche, so I will keep an eye open for the Safe Concordia when she arrives there.

malcolm
Old 25th February 2006, 23:09
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1970 - 2013

I don't know if being a pilot counts as still being at sea. All I know is that it's the perfect job. I had no intention of becoming a pilot, I just seemed to fall in to it. I get to do all the best bits and then go home and, no matter what the nationality, I am still working with my kind of people, seafarers one and all are a breed apart.
Old 25th February 2006, 23:28
Active: 1968 - Present

My location
Charlie,

It sure counts as far as I am concerned.

Whereabouts are you a pilot?

malcolm