Windows 10 updates - Ships Nostalgia
14:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Windows 10 updates

User Tag List

Old 7th December 2017, 08:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Windows 10 updates

Yesterday evening (11pm) I went to end the computing session and got the normal shut down and install updates or restart and install updates, as usual I selected restart and install updates, so that the computer is ready for action the next day. What happened next took almost an hour and added 18gb to the hard drive, I am guessing it was a complete OS upgrade, it finished around midnight. Maybe Bob or somebody can explain what was going on?

Cheers Frank
Old 7th December 2017, 10:31
Active: 1981 - Present

Can you screen shot your update history Frank? The last update I received was:

2017-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1709 For AMD64-based systems
(KB4051963) this was on 12/01/2017.

These updates that take forever are frustrating. I read the reason that they take so long is so the operating system can better manage them?
Old 7th December 2017, 12:16

My location
Hello Diver, here is the screen shot, it does look like the same update and it is for an AMD64 laptop... but why the big 18gb on the hard drive.....

Cheers Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (2).jpg (14.3 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Frank P; 7th December 2017 at 12:18..
Old 7th December 2017, 12:23
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My HP Laptop, about 8 years old, had Windows Vista factory installed.
It was operating to my complete satisfaction when it decided to download and install Windows 10.
Since then it runs slower and regularly freezes, asking me whether I want to wait till it unfreezes or to reload the page. It can be very annoying but I'm afraid to try to un-install W 10 in case I balls it up and am left with nothing.
Should I buy an Apple Mac?

Last edited by Engine Serang; 7th December 2017 at 12:24.. Reason: Spelling.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:38
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

E.S I will get shouted at for this, however, had the same problem with a laptop which came with Vista. Overcame by purchasing Windows 7 (yes I know but I have it on 2 laptops and 2 pcs working perfectly). It cost 19.99 from a firm called 'software geeks' and I installed it on all the above without any problems. My wife has a laptop with Windows 10 and it is so complicated.
Old 7th December 2017, 13:26
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Go into Action Centre/All Settings/System/About and give us the build and version number.

You can recover much of your disk space once you're happy the machine is working ok by doing a diskclean and selecting system files clean. What this does is remove the ability to 'rollback' to how it was before but I wouldn't do that until you're happy the machine is working well, and you don't think there's a need to 'rollback.'

Full system updates keep the old version available, (usually under a directory called Windows.old) to enable you to roll back. This obviously takes up a fair amount of disk space, but once you're happy with the new build, then you can clear all that out.
Old 7th December 2017, 14:25

My location
Hello Bob, here is the version number, I was just wondering why the update took up so much space..

I did a disk clean up last week that's how I know that the update took up about 18gb of space . I am not worried about the 18gb as the hard drive is 360gb and I am only using 58gb at the moment but I am thinking about what they have put on there.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg win 10 build number.jpg (41.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Frank P; 7th December 2017 at 15:24..
Old 7th December 2017, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
My HP Laptop, about 8 years old, had Windows Vista factory installed.
It was operating to my complete satisfaction when it decided to download and install Windows 10.
Since then it runs slower and regularly freezes, asking me whether I want to wait till it unfreezes or to reload the page. It can be very annoying but I'm afraid to try to un-install W 10 in case I balls it up and am left with nothing.
Should I buy an Apple Mac?
Try installing Linux Ubuntu first if you really are considering a new computer. I find it a really easy and dependable O.S. I've been using it for about 5 years now, and have never regretted ditching Windows.
Old 7th December 2017, 17:00

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
Hello Bob, here is the version number, I was just wondering why the update took up so much space..

I did a disk clean up last week that's how I know that the update took up about 18gb of space . I am not worried about the 18gb as the hard drive is 360gb and I am only using 58gb at the moment but I am thinking about what they have put on there.....
Version 1709 is the latest version. If you look at my screenshot of the C drive you'll see a couple of directories called Windows.old. These are previous installations of Windows which are still available for rollback. These will take up space. Mine is showing two because it's used for Windows 10 beta testing.

I wouldn't remove them straight away but once you're happy that the machine is ok with it's new installation then look at the second screenshot which shows the C drive Diskclean open. The button of interest is the Cleanup System Files. If you click this it will bring up another pop up after a few moments and there you have the option to Remove Previous Windows Installations.

If you're struggling for space then go for it (and examine the other options shown there as well) but like I say, I'd wait a day or two to be sure the machine's ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cdrive.jpg (118.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Diskclean.jpg (173.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 7th December 2017, 17:52
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1975 - 1991

1709 is the Fall Creators Update and it is a complete new windows 10 install, that is why you are seeing the 18 gb
Old 7th December 2017, 18:54

My location
Thanks Bob and Paisley, I thought that it was something like that........
Old 7th December 2017, 19:09

My location
Before you do anything drastic it's always a good idea to create a 'disk image' which should be put onto a separate hard drive (either internal or external) and NOT a partition on the C drive.

If you open Control Panel and select 'File History' you will see the option to create a 'System Image Backup.' This is literally a snapshot of the entire C drive and can be used to restore the machine to the state it was in at the time of taking the image. You use a repair CDROM/DVD which you will have the option to create at the end of the imaging process (which can take a few hours.) It's always a good idea to have one of these repair disks handy whether imaging or not, as the computer can boot up off it.

Always a good idea to do this. All of this has been built into Windows since 7. Prior to that you had to use third party software such as Norton Ghost or Disk Image.

The disk image can even be returned to a new hard drive if for example your old C drive pays off, providing the new drive is at least as large in terms of capacity as the old drive.
Old 7th December 2017, 19:12
Active: 1963 - 1995

Could this be the creators version.

A similar thing happened to me recently. I had a problem that I decided could be cured by doing system restore to about two weeks previous. Things started to happen that I was totally lost with, but let it run its course. As you say, an hour or so went by, and pleased to report that all was well after it. I am still not sure what happened !!!

David
+

ps. I did make sure everything was well backed up first though !
Old 7th December 2017, 19:21

My location
If that's returning to a 'Restore Point' David yes that's always an option. System Restore is not the same as System Imaging.

With System Imaging you will lose everything on the drive that was put on after the time you took the image, it is literally wiping the disk clean and reproducing the state from the image.

System Restore isn't anything near as brutal as that, but can be a life saver for sure.
Old 7th December 2017, 20:11
Active: 1981 - Present

Thanks for the good info Bob Clay. I am lucky I am not running into any problems so far with the updates.
Old 7th December 2017, 20:44
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Anyone who allows Windows automatic updates is taking their computer's life in their hands. Microsoft have something of a history of wrecking computers world wide with them.
Old 7th December 2017, 21:34

Thanks for all the info, but the advice is way beyond me. I now know I'm a big spanner man, Doxford if you like.

Every shopping centre in Dublin has a wee chinaman in a kiosk who dabbles in laptops, tablets and mobiles. I will give one of them a go.
There is never a bl00dy Sparky around when you need them.
Old 7th December 2017, 21:45

My location
We'll agree to differ on that one Art. People who don't update are risking their computers in my opinion. The trick is to ensure your machine is maintained and ready for the updates.

I've lost count this year of the number of full Windows Installation updates on the computer I use the most and that I'm typing this on right now, which is seven years old so not exactly state of the art. At least three a month this year alone and a couple of times twice in one week. It's currently running build 17046.1, which went in last week. Of course I've volunteered for this with fast track beta testing and I keep two full disk images going back two builds, just in case.

Not yet had any problems that couldn't be sorted, or were self inflicted by my own carelessness, but all worked fine.

I've also lost count of the number of school computers I've upgraded and updated over recent years from 7 to 10 and upgraded versions of 10.

For my laptop I upgraded to 10 from Windows 8.1.

The other computers running Windows 10 I keep fully updated at all times. The Windows 2000 and XP machines aren't supported any more but I need them because they have some old features and software that I don't want to part with.

My experience has been that most people who complain about Windows were fully justified in doing so for say Millennium Vista and 8, but expect their machines to plod along with little or no maintenance regardless of OS (and Linux updates just as regularly as Windows in my experience, mostly with Ubuntu. But I've got hard drives with Mint and Suse although I suspect they are well out of date) and then wonder why they get into trouble when updates come along.

I was initially trained on Unix and then DOS ... (some may remember Windows 3.1 which sat on top of DOS.) I'd say right now Windows 10 is the best version Microsoft has produced ever given of the 8 debacle. And prior to that Windows 2000 but of course that system was designed specifically for Client/Server networks, although it works fine on a home network.
Old 8th December 2017, 08:12
Active: 1966 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaDiver View Post
Thanks for the good info Bob Clay. I am lucky I am not running into any problems so far with the updates.

I echo compliment above.

Much appreciated information / guidance Bob.

BW

J
Old 8th December 2017, 09:35

Dear Bob,

My laptop is DHL'ing its way to you as we speak because you are the only person in the Western World who understands all this Unix/DOS stuff.

Please sort it out and return.

Much appreciated,

ES.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:23

My location
If it takes hours for you to download updates I'd take a close look at your broadband connection.

Apple Macs are fine, but ridiculously overpriced.

Linux is fine, but not to everybody's taste because it does demand more geekiness.

Microsoft (then little more than a bunch of college geeks) actually 'borrowed' the concept of a Windows GUI from a Xerox team that had been developing it in the 70's.

John von Neumann is considered the primary creator of modern computer architecture. In recent times there have been attempts to break out of the bottleneck this has created with modern electronic devices. An example being Quantum computers, but this is still as much science fiction as science.

The reason Windows has been so successful is because it's simple and easy to use. But Microsoft have definitely hit a lot of rocks on the way.

Whining and sarcasm wont make your computer go any better.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:36

My location
I call it how I see it. Best get used to it.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
You're last sentence sums up about the most insensitive comment so far on this thread.
Your crown is slipping R65.

Apple Mac were hailed as virus free, no more. They are limited as to what can be done with them and as I use a lot of high end CAD, navigation and other technical software unavailable on the restricted MAC iOS, I use and am happy to use, the flexible and powerful Windows system.

Android phones and tablets v iPhones and iPads is the same, their iOS is OK for chasing sweeties round your screen but if you want real flexibility and power, it has to be Android at a fraction of the price.

BTW, anyone paying 1000 plus for a phone needs their head, or lifestyle, examined.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:52

Quote:
#26 ... Yawn! Am still happily hackling along on Windaes Vista.
I hope the Russians are not monitoring this thread, if they hack your computer it will put them back 100 years!
Old 8th December 2017, 11:04

Quote:
If you wipe the sh1t from your eyes you'll see that any Windaes programme from 3.1 onward was only as good as the Peter Nortons of this world who protected them..
"You're last sentence sums up about the most insensitive comment so far on this thread."

Congratulations. R641500, you have won your crown back.