Who sailed with Watts watts 1956-1963 - Ships Nostalgia
18:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Who sailed with Watts watts 1956-1963

User Tag List

Old 13th March 2009, 16:32

Smile Who sailed with Watts watts 1956-1963

Hi,
I served my apprentice-ship with Watts Watts and stayed until reaching to be 2nd Mate.I served on the SS Twickenham,MV Greenwich,MVWindsor MV Wokingham.MV Woodford,Gulf Ras Al Aird and MV Wimbledon.
I would like to chat with any former sea mates if any are still alive.
My name is Jeff Richens who when articalled was called "Bubbles".
Old 13th March 2009, 16:40

My location
Welcome aboard, Jeff.
Find your way around the ship and have a good trip.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:46
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Welcome to the site Jeff,we have a Watts Watts forum just look down at the bottom of the forum list and you will spot it
I served on The Beckenham and the Willesden in the 1950s,great company to work for.

John.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:48
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Jeff and a warm welcome to SN on your first posting. Bon voyage.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:55
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1954 - 1998

My location
Hi Jeff,
I did Second Mates in 1960 with Roger Paramour who served his time with Watts Watts at the same time as you. Kept in touch with him for many years, possibly he was a shipmate of yours.

Regards, Tony
Old 13th March 2009, 22:39
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage
Old 13th March 2009, 23:48

My location
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.
Old 14th March 2009, 01:23

dom

did a trip on the Windsor Jan 58 April 60,Capt Mudd, the only other name that comes to mind is ch stwd,Zimmerman,greaser wanted to kill him for something or other,New york we lost an AB,wanted to fight some one in an irish pub,turned out it was a offduty policeman,from what i remember it went downhill fast from there,still happy days,Charlie if your out there he asked me and i refused
Old 1st March 2010, 11:45
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

watts watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richensj View Post
Hi,
I served my apprentice-ship with Watts Watts and stayed until reaching to be 2nd Mate.I served on the SS Twickenham,MV Greenwich,MVWindsor MV Wokingham.MV Woodford,Gulf Ras Al Aird and MV Wimbledon.
hi , i sailed on mv wanstead in 1962 medie and canada run, my name is tony wilding, my step brother paul jarvis was on beaconsfield, woolwich, raudhatain, suhail, and quite a few other tankers managed by watts, he was second cook then cook, also my friend neil grant sailed with him , both in the galley, regards, tony wilding, STORES.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:29

My location
Smile Time Served

I served on the Twickenham 27/3/57 11/5/57 one trip loaded coal,
Newport NewsPaid off rotterdam,old man was atotal nutter,used to fire a .22 at beer cans on the foc/sle
Regard Charles (Kalibah)
Old 24th August 2010, 21:58

Mv Woodford

Quote:
Hi,
HI Jeff, I sailed on the Woodford I think about enf of 1953 up until March 1954. What a ship for its day so modern, magnificent quarters and meal a recreation areas. Steel roller hatch covers and electric winches. Great Ship
Old 24th August 2010, 22:13

Joined the MV Weybridge as an EDH in Durban July 1960,Then east Africa/western seaboard of the USA,Vancouver, cotton from Mexico to Japan,dry dock in Kure, light ship to Queensland, sugar to Liverpool via Djakata.
What a trip. My only circumnavigation of the globe.
Oh to be 20 again.
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crompton View Post
Hi Jeff,
I did Second Mates in 1960 with Roger Paramour who served his time with Watts Watts at the same time as you. Kept in touch with him for many years, possibly he was a shipmate of yours.

Regards, Tony
Tony

Did you know George Hope I think he was a Tees pilot

Mick
Old 11th February 2011, 20:36
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1965

Smile terry morrow

Hi,
I sailed under WATTS WATTS management in 1962 on a tanker called
The ST MELIKA, It was a GULF OIL tanker under WATTS WATTS
Management,WATTS WATTS had 4 ships from GULF OIL, this was
After the ships came under the british flag, prior to that the ships were
Under the ITALIAN FLAG,but the" MELIKA '' caught fire in the PERSIAN
GULF,and the italians bailed out with the ship on fire.HMS BULWARK
Put a party aboard ,put out the fire claimed salvage rights.this would
Be around 1958, GULF OIL then put the ships under WATTS WATTS
management.
Regards Terry,
Old 11th February 2011, 21:51

Quote:
Hi,
Did you ever come across a Captain Angus Ferguseon. I believe he was with Watts and Watts at that time you describe
Old 16th March 2011, 15:16
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1951 - 1962

Smile M.V. Wokingham

Quote:
Hi,
I would like to chat widon't know th any former sea mates if any are still alive.
Hi Jeff, I was R/O on the Wokingham August '56 to July '57 - what a brilliant ship (I have a pic on the wall right now) I can't remember where I signed on but our voyage was Australia, Adelaide, Port Pirie, Albany, Bunbury and Fremantle -up to Calcutta for grain back to Oz then Beira loading chrome ore for Baltimore finally paying off in Rotterdam.
Very happy ship but as a non-Watts Watts Company man (Siemens Marine radio) I don't remember the guys on board unfortunately.
I would dearly love to know where that voyage began/ where I signed on.
Best wishes to all,

Bob
Old 23rd November 2011, 22:22

Tony Veale

I sailed on the Mv Weybridge for two trips. The first as a junior eng and the second as 4th. The first trip was from Gravesend 1965 to Canada, then South Africa where we loaded sugar for Japan. We were then chartered by the K line for a two year stint. West coast of States, Central America, through the canal and all stations the other side. Then back to Japan.
Really memorable trips. Eventually paying off in Tampa florida after 18 months. My next trip was shorter. Flying back to rejoin her in Haiti after the relief 4th went sick. We returned to the UK in 1967 to learn that the ship had been sold to the Pakistan National Line and we where to deliver her. This plan was scuppered by the six day war which closed the Suez. We handed over in Marseille and flew home. A great ship with some great shipmates.
Old 24th November 2011, 09:18
Active: 1951 - 1962

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that - the Wokingham was a great ship and those on it - I think I'm probably still engaged to a girl in Fremantle, but I never got back (her insistence) - in the small ports of OZ people turned out to see the ship. I have a picture of the Wokingham on my study wall now !

All the best,

Bob
Old 24th November 2011, 16:37
Active: 1957 - 1963

m.v.Windsor

Hello Jeff Richens.. Did one trip on the Windsor, December 1958 to February 1959 ....... Londonderry to Boston to load grain for a Kelloggs charter to Manchester. My one and only time up the Manchester Canal. I was R/O with Siemens Bros. and it was only a short duration so never got to know any WattsWatts men. Nice ship,nice accomodation and general rooms. My best memories of that time was in Boston,great city,great night life ..... was it Scully Square or Crawford street. At that time of the year I remember the Atlantic was a calm as a duck pond but there were many small icebergs to be seen.
Old 24th November 2011, 22:27

dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank elliott View Post
Hello Jeff Richens.. Did one trip on the Windsor, December 1958 to February 1959 ....... Londonderry to Boston to load grain for a Kelloggs charter to Manchester. My one and only time up the Manchester Canal. I was R/O with Siemens Bros. and it was only a short duration so never got to know any WattsWatts men. Nice ship,nice accomodation and general rooms. My best memories of that time was in Boston,great city,great night life ..... was it Scully Square or Crawford street. At that time of the year I remember the Atlantic was a calm as a duck pond but there were many small icebergs to be seen.
you were lucky,i joined her in Feb,59. in Manchester,trip from hell
Old 13th January 2012, 21:58

Hello,
I was an apprentice with Watts Watts from 1960 t0 1963 sailing on Port Wanstead, Windsor, Woodford,Woolwich,Wanstead, Wokingham and Ceuta. My name is John McGrath. Good years and excellent training. Finished up piloting hovercraft for Canadian Coast Guard in Vancouver, BC. It would be great to hear from any fellow apprentices. Cheers, John.
Old 13th January 2012, 22:07

Hoverlover

Hello,
I sailed with Watts Watts from 1960 to 1963. My name is John McGrath and I have nothing but good memories for the fine ships and people I worked with. Cheers, John.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:14

Hi,

Sailed on the Wendover as Marconi R/O for a few months but sadly don't remember much about her or the trip. I 'think' we had a Rhodesian (?) engineer, possibly a 4th or maybe 3rd. Also I 'think' I had my 21st whilst enroute BA - Far East. I drank a bottle of wood alcohol (amongst other things) which laid me low for a while...not too convinced I was ever right after that !!!

Joined her on the 5th March 1962 and paid off in Liverpool 10th May 1963. (no I haven't got such a great memory - I still have my Discharge Book !!!).

Signatures in Discharge Book are Neill something and possibly a W Morris - one of these was obviously the Master - anyone know these gentlemen?

Hoping to put together a scrapbook of my times at sea so if anyone has any pictures of the Wendover - especially the Radio Room - I'd appreciate a copy/copies.
Old 18th January 2012, 18:40
STORES

wendover

hi i was on her sister wanstead, have many photos of wendover, but complete ship only. regards, STORES.
Old 18th January 2012, 18:47
STORES

Re Watts Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverlover View Post
Hello,
I was an apprentice with Watts Watts from 1960 t0 1963 sailing on Port Wanstead, Windsor, Woodford,Woolwich,Wanstead, Wokingham and Ceuta. My name is John McGrath. Good years and excellent training. Finished up piloting hovercraft for Canadian Coast Guard in Vancouver, BC. It would be great to hear from any fellow apprentices. Cheers, John.
HI , I WAS ON THE WANSTEAD 60/ 61 WE JOINED IN ANTWERP, PORTUGAL, SPAIN,ITALY, GREECE, TURKEY, SYRIA, CANADA AND USA, WAS U ON HER THEN, I WAS ENGINE ROOM DEPT, U SAILED ON THE CEUTA, ? WAS SHE OWNED BY WATTS WATTS, ? IF SO HAVE U ANY DETAILS OF HER AM DOING A HISTORY OF WATTS WATTS BUT THAT SHIP IS NEW TO \ME, BEST WISHES, TONY WILDING.