Your Discharge Book Number. - Ships Nostalgia
08:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Your Discharge Book Number.

User Tag List

Old 27th April 2018, 10:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

Your Discharge Book Number.

Sometimes it may take a while before 'something of significance' permeates those 'little grey ones'. Self being no exception it's only taken 61 years for that to happen.

Was given that little book with a hard, blue cover and a 'number' ~ sounds like a scene from 'The Prisoner' {Patrick McGoohan 'No 6'} ~ mine was R681193 which stays in the subconscious for instant recall if and when required.

Was chatting to a distant neighbour who turned out to have been a RO and couldn't believe my seniority in years and rank when he quoted his much higher number.

"Where's this 'story' actually going I hear you ask"?

OK, get to the point Smith! Fine. My Golden Wedding is this year.

"So what has that to do with Discharge Book numbers"?

Only just realised the year and date of the month are 'there', in my number, be it 'jumbled'. Year 1968. Day of the month 13th.

Bet no one 'out there' can beat that oddity but ~ as always ~ stand to be corrected.

Have a good weekend {April 28th and 29th MMXVIII} Folks.

GGG {X GTP now Great Granddad Graham}
Old 27th April 2018, 11:43

When driving licences changed from a nice little red booklet to a scruffy bit of paper ones date of birth was clearly shown, together with the comment that if you didn't want your date of birth to be evident you could cut it off. What they didn't tell you was that your date of birth was still shown, jumbled up in your driving licenece number. The current plastic jobbies continue this, and your date of birth is still shown in the number.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:54
Department: Engineering

I've had a look at my book and number (R872855) and can see no correlation to my date of birth, so it looks like I was born on the wrong day.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:13
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I dug out my discharge books (they re-issued in about 1973 so I ended up with two.)

Strangely the number appears to be identical to quite a few passwords I use ..

Oh s**t what a giveaway !!
Old 27th April 2018, 12:27
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator

My location
Discharge book numbers were no real guide to date of issue as the marine offices were issued them by the box and all with sequential numbers. Naturally the busier marine offices issued more books and so tended to always have higher numbered books whereas the smaller offices had the lower numbers.
The R number series finished circa 1971, whereupon the UK prefix took over.
By way of an example above, I regularly sailed with a Motorman who had only gone to sea in the early 80s yet stilll had an R series discharge book, issued (if I remember correctly) at Hartlepool - they'd obviously found an old box somewhere and were using them up at time of issue.

Jim
Old 27th April 2018, 14:40
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - Present

Welcome back GTP you have been noticeable by your absence. R651368, WoodendJD is one of those numbers engraved in the brain somewhere followed by my South African ID number and my ticket number 99000. Why these three numbers particlarly I know not as i have to keep birthday dates and appointments on my phone. Strange.......
Old 27th April 2018, 16:29

Have read all replies with extreme interest ~ thanks 'All' and still await a 'coincidental', or otherwise, connection between DB numbers and subsequent events.

Yes, I was aware of driving licence DOB info but not ~ thanks Jim ~ about the issuing procedure in those long ago, non computer days. Bang goes my higher R number designating after self and lower prior. Having said that see post #6, above {Hi John}, ahead of me with, to me expected, lower number. Liverpool '50s being our home and issuing port not surprising that my compatriots, John being one, worked on that logic.

The reason I posted this thread is that it has taken me 61 years to notice my number was issued eleven years before my wedding day, my wife to be was a wee lass of 12 at the time and the last thing on my teenage mind was 'settling down'.

Spooky? Maybe, as the 'Bull's Eye' ~ now in '18 ~ is FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH of July.
Old 27th April 2018, 17:36
Active: 1960 - 1969

My wife was born in January 1945 but it wasn't till we started spending more time in Arizona that she noticed that her birthdate in US fashion was 012345

Bob
Old 27th April 2018, 18:25
Active: 1958 - 1965

R700363, just celebrated 54 years. Struggling to find a connection!
Old 27th April 2018, 19:21

Don't struggle Roger, it's all in the stars, better get that old sext*nt out again and the tables.

Like your wife's numbers Bob. Can't compete with that but do have a great grandson born 17.1.17 and a wife with the initials SAS.
Old 27th April 2018, 20:18
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
I also can not fined any correlation, my first book was issued in July 1947, a thin cardboard version. In April of 1952 they re- issued a nice hard cover copy with the same number R398395 as the first book only had four more spaces left in it.
Born in 1931 so it don't match any number in the R number. I believe Jim is correct about the issue of books by the Board Of Trade in bulk.
Old 27th April 2018, 21:47
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
I believe Jim is correct about the issue of books by the Board Of Trade in bulk.
Yes he is. There is no correlation at all with dates of birth.

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”
Old 28th April 2018, 05:55

My location
First went to sea in 1947, Dis Book number (the thin one) was R359806 then
issued the hard cover book, same number about 1948, you do remember the special numbers especially the Marconi Paybook number or you didn't get paid
7944 or the ID insurance number SCOJ428,can remember my MN ID card had RM
Dutt Money changer on it as you needed ID to change cash on the Indian Coast
way back in those days.
Ern Barrett
Old 28th April 2018, 20:34

What a momentous subject you have opened up GGG aka GTP (Congrats) a regular Pandora`s Box of trix.
It forced me for the first time of my life, well after 65 years to minutely examine this testament to my unblemished character - not a DR in sight!.
Anyway R59766 Liverpool issue 3/9/53 doesn`t appear to have any mystical correlation with anything significant. Birthday 17/5/1935

But wait I did spot the following at the bottom of page 1 under "Important" blurb
T.91-1252 Wt 3134 20,000 Books 10/52 M.D. & Co Ltd.
Any chance this contributes to the way books were allocated to different areas?

Last edited by Roger Turner; 28th April 2018 at 20:38..
Old 28th April 2018, 20:46

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Turner View Post
What a momentous subject you have opened up GGG aka GTP (Congrats) a regular Pandora`s Box of trix.
It forced me for the first time of my life, well after 65 years to minutely examine this testament to my unblemished character - not a DR in sight!.
Anyway R59766 Liverpool issue 3/9/53 doesn`t appear to have any mystical correlation with anything significant. Birthday 17/5/1935

But wait I did spot the following at the bottom of page 1 under "Important" blurb
T.91-1252 Wt 3134 20,000 Books 10/52 M.D. & Co Ltd.
Any chance this contributes to the way books were allocated to different areas?
I went back and looked after reading this and sure enough my first DB, issued 1965 in Liverpool reads:

T.91 - 2506. Wt. 37206. 30,000. 4/62. W. & S. Ltd. 397967m.

The second one, issued 1973, also in Liverpool has no such blurb.

What does it all mean …. ?
Old 30th April 2018, 09:44

Thanks for the 'congrats' Roger and yes it does remind one that you're no longer a teenager looking to earn those stripes. Glad this 'D' scussion has caused a few to look at, probably, something that hasn't seen daylight for many moons.

Not sure what it all 'means' Bob but you can ask Alfie what it's all 'about'.
Old 30th April 2018, 12:12

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post

Not sure what it all 'means' Bob but you can ask Alfie what it's all 'about'.

I would, but my Cilla Black impersonation is likely to get me arrested for making loud screeching noises.
Old 30th April 2018, 14:25
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
My first discharge book was issued in North Sheilds in 1953 on January 28th. I was charged 2/6 for it. The #R5 ****3 bears no relation to anything and as each shipping office was issued the books in batches there is no corelation to when the number for any other book was issued except from the same office.
Old 30th April 2018, 20:30

Somehow Bob your 'personal impression' of the Cavern Club's cloakroom attendant {May she rest in eternal} doesn't exactly get me in the mood for Dan Singh, Gin Slingh or any other Phlucking Gin.

Must say I don't remember paying out half a crown for mine four years later Lakercapt but 'there you go' it was a few deck aids ago. Do remember writing a cheque for £14 exactly for Masters in August '67 though.

One 'last word' as I'm 'here'. My original stitch in this thread was not to suggest that any form of coded, or otherwise, personal information was contained in one's DB number; simply the spooky coincidence that my marital year and day of the month was 'there' ~ be it jumbled and thereby disguised ~ eleven years prior to the event. OK so the month wasn't there but to conclude with the conclusion from my all time favourite comedy film, "Nobody's perfect".
Old 30th April 2018, 21:39

The former cloakroom attendant at The Cavern earned her place in the hall of greats on the occasion when a Glen boat (Glengarry?) returned from the Far East having received a particularly rough political reception from Chairman Mao. There were numerous terms of imprisonment in Shanghai at the time.

On return to London for Glengarry, however, it is amply recorded that the owners, showing their appreciation to the crew, organised an evening reception at a West-End night-club. The hat-check girl performed, introducing her act with, "I understand that tonight we have some boys in from the Glengarry?" - Whereupon she launched into "What's it all about, Alfie?"

A magical moment, it must have been!
Old 30th April 2018, 23:21

My location
March 1947...

Apropos of nothing contained herein, two thirteen-year-old Cardiff lads walked three miles to the Capitol Cinema in the city centre.
It was snowing heavily, but my mate, Tommy Mitchell and myself didn't wear overcoats, they were for cissies. It was a Thursday and we had mitched school to see a cowboy film.
We came out at four o'clock and were surprised to see deep snow, which came up over our knees. It was still snowing, but much heavier than when we went in.
Having left the warmth of the cinema, we realise that it is cold out here as we trundle towards our homes. We also realise that there is very little traffic and the trams aren't running.
The snow became deeper as we fought our way through it and it was a very dark six o'clock before we finally arrived at our homes. I won't mention here what our parents said...

What I didn't know, however - how could I? - a little girl was being born up the road in West Yorkshire, at the very moment we left the cinema.

Twenty-five years later, almost to the day, a group of men were shown to their table in a hotel in Auckland by the maitre d', an attractive, blonde-haired young woman. I ignored the ribald comments, reserved only for attractive, blonde-haired young women. She smiled at me. Then smiled at each of the other five, who had only whispered their ribald comments among themselves.

I began to frequent that dining room with a mate, who knew what I was up to. However, I was getting nowhere with the object of my desire, in spite of my incredibly stunning good looks, until one day, after a particularly long lunch, we passed the lounge room on our way out and there she was, sat by the window - knitting!!

It was her day off and she was knitting something for a girlfriend's sprog. Now, it may seem sneaky, but I got rid of my mate and began a conversation by telling her about my mother's and my sister's skill at this knitting business. It worked but it was another two weeks before she would go out with me, but meanwhile mum and sis had brought me up to date on this arty farty stuff with a couple of needles. It worked!

September 2018

It's Sylvia's and my 46th Anniversary!

Taff
Old 1st May 2018, 17:09

A lovely story, Taff. Thanks. Trust you've settled into your new home.
Old 1st May 2018, 19:42

Your getting down to the 'knitty gritty' was just a little different. Did you do something different for your 'purl' anniversary perchance Taff?

Little did you and your lovely Sylvia realise you have given the lovely SN Mary a 'plot' for her next novel.

Happy XLVIII when the time comes.
Old 1st May 2018, 22:40

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary75 View Post
A lovely story, Taff. Thanks. Trust you've settled into your new home.
Mary, thanks love... of all my adventures over the years, that was the most memorable. Don't tell anyone, but Sylvia taught me how to do a few lines of knitting, but after a while, I wormed my way out of that pastime. Mind you, I was a dab hand with palm-needle-sailmakers when I was at sea!

Permission granted for use as your next plot, as Graham has suggested... although perhaps I might write it up in the Tusitala thread?

Still trying to find things I packed away where they would be easy to find!

We hope you have recovered and are well, best regards,

Taff
Old 1st May 2018, 22:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post
Your getting down to the 'knitty gritty' was just a little different. Did you do something different for your 'purl' anniversary perchance Taff?

Little did you and your lovely Sylvia realise you have given the lovely SN Mary a 'plot' for her next novel.

Happy XLVIII when the time comes.
G'day from Oz, Graham... yep, there was 'something different' for each anniversary!

I can hear Mary's writer's mind ticking over from here.

XLVIII... thanks for your optimism, mate!!

All the best,

Taff