Maid of the Loch paddle steamer - Ships Nostalgia
01:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Maid of the Loch paddle steamer

User Tag List

Old 14th August 2018, 15:55
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 1960

A call has gone out to find engineers to help with the restoration of the Maid on Loch Lomond.
Details can be found on Facebook under Vale of Leven History or by contacting [email protected]
Old 21st August 2018, 08:05

Gentlemen please,engineers first,? The maid of the loch! What an honest subject- however i quote""and the stop cock was left handed" just another engineers song??
Old 21st August 2018, 09:47
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

That is tautological. Engineers are gentlemen.
Old 21st August 2018, 11:49

I think I've been on it. Me and my mate and girlfriends trained through to Glasgow from Edinburgh and got a bus up to the Loch. Lots of piss being consumed and as is the habit with girls they always went to the toilet together. Synchronised or sympathetic bladders? Anyway that was the signal for some serious slurping of Drambuie and disposal of glasses before they came back.Along the time frame somewhere their was a rocking motion and it was announced that we were back at the wharf so be prepared to disembark. We never saw squat of Loch Lomond but I'm sure it's very nice.
Old 21st August 2018, 21:39
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

I really do sincerely hope that this time, she is restored properly, and hope against hope that she can be made to pay her way. Otherwise it will once again be a triumph of ambition over experience.
Old 22nd August 2018, 10:39

"Maid of the Loch" (1953, 555 grt)
https://www.paddlesteamers.org/wp-co...f-the-Loch.jpg
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
I really do sincerely hope that this time, she is restored properly, and hope against hope that she can be made to pay her way. Otherwise it will once again be a triumph of ambition over experience.
You are right Roy, I likewise would like them to succeed and hope they do.
The big difference between her and Waverley is she is in a fixed place which means people are going to have to go to her rather wait until she comes to them.
That aside she is the last paddler built in the U.K. and for that reason I personally would like her to be in working condition.
She is also part of my youth. I watched them putting her back together on the slipway without using nuts and bolts.
Davie

Last edited by Davie M; 22nd August 2018 at 11:58..
Old 26th August 2018, 18:02

Sorry, you are looking at the birth of a real white elephant. West Dunbartonshire need this like a hole in the head. She was laid up as she couldn't pay her way. This is what is known as a vanity project. It will only drive the existing commercial boat owners out of existence. It will ask for - and no doubt get - an enormous subsidy to operate. Meanwhile the roads in the area are full of potholes and other services cut. Get it into razor blades as quickly as possible
Old 26th August 2018, 19:44
Department: Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by double acting View Post
Sorry, you are looking at the birth of a real white elephant. West Dunbartonshire need this like a hole in the head. She was laid up as she couldn't pay her way. This is what is known as a vanity project. It will only drive the existing commercial boat owners out of existence. It will ask for - and no doubt get - an enormous subsidy to operate. Meanwhile the roads in the area are full of potholes and other services cut. Get it into razor blades as quickly as possible
Bit harsh , she is in good walk on condition, don't know about subsidies- any evidence of this, I know she did get lottery money.

Not sure how scrapping her would solve the pot holes
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 27th August 2018, 12:37
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Department: Navigation

My location
The reason she was withdrawn by Calmac in 1981 was that she basically needed re-boilering and a lot of other mechanical work done which coincided with massive public spending cuts by our friendly political party with the blue rosettes. Not only that but she was an anachronism within the Calmac fleet at the time, operating solely on the loch for tourist purposes, being a paddler and being steam powered.
She's also not owned by the council and so why would she receive a subsidy?
Loch Lomond has an enormous tourist catchment and Maid of the Loch has the ability to offer a service that the existing boat owners cannot provide, especially considering the size of their vessels (very much smaller).
High end dining cruises as well as jollies up and down the loch for punters of different means is what I believe is envisaged and I'm sure she shall be successful at it. The length of cruise will likely be longer than the current operators, many of whom seem quite positive about the Maid's return to service as she'll be an attraction in herself.
You only have to look at comparable operations on Windermere and abroad to see how it can and indeed will work.

Jim
Old 29th August 2018, 10:33

Quote:
Agreed it was years ago but at that time there were three private boat hiring companies at Balloch and one at Balmaha and the Maid.
They all managed to get along together.
As was said in another post the Maid would provide a different type of cruising on the Loch.
I am not right in thinking that it is a private group who are undertaking the restoration.
As for holes in the road maybe the council would see that getting this project going might give them some income from visitors to repair the problem.
Davie
Old 3rd September 2018, 18:01

You wait and see, the begging bowls will be offered to the council in no time.
The sad fact is , she was not economically viable. That is the reason she stopped running, if she was viable she would still be in operation.
Old 10th September 2018, 09:02

Hi all I have answered the call.....dusted down my second's gold and maroon epaulets .......NOT the steaming bunnet.....I have already been down the hole....have seen worse at a drydocking....with new boilers, new piping,new pumps....bottom scraped...paddle blades renewed..."daddy's yacht....will be as good as new....Thank goodness I took my steam ticket
Old 10th September 2018, 14:08

Good for you, Douglas James Michael! Plenty of what were thought of as 'unviable' paddle steamers thrive on Europe's inland waterways. What better way to appreciate the 'bonnie bonnie banks'. She would be a great asset to Scotland's tourism industry.
Old 10th September 2018, 15:39
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location

Quote:
You wait and see, the begging bowls will be offered to the council in no time.
The sad fact is , she was not economically viable. That is the reason she stopped running, if she was viable she would still be in operation.
Regrettably there is an element of sourness in your posts on this matter which will do your long term health no good. I reckon you need a long chilled out holiday and fresh air.
I went through a few negative periods in my life and at one time would have applauded your comments. Fortunately I got over them. Positivity is a happier road to tread.
Old 10th September 2018, 16:31

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasjamesmichael View Post
Hi all I have answered the call.....dusted down my second's gold and maroon epaulets .......NOT the steaming bunnet.....I have already been down the hole....have seen worse at a drydocking....with new boilers, new piping,new pumps....bottom scraped...paddle blades renewed..."daddy's yacht....will be as good as new....Thank goodness I took my steam ticket
Looking forward to seeing her back in steam.
Davie
Old 10th September 2018, 18:26
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasjamesmichael View Post
Well done Douglas If I lived nearer I would join you and help ! I was involved in Bringing a 1921 steam yacht back into service, SS Delphine so I know what you are up against. I had to remember things, taught to me in college, that I thought I would never have to use ! Good luck
Old 10th September 2018, 18:49
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

13&17. I count you both lucky buggers!
Old 10th September 2018, 19:53
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
13&17. I count you both lucky buggers!
Yes I was Varley. Even more so that the Delphine, was highly unusual as she has twin Quadruple expansion engines, against the normal triple expansion engines. Her boilers had been replaced with one vertical watertube boiler and a slightly larger normal watertube boiler. All the other Steam plant was original but she did have to modern deutz diesel generators.
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:51

Just read in the Herald that the expected 3.6 million from the lottery funding will not be forth coming. They also must have realised that it would not be viable. The Gondola on lake Windermere is around 50 tons whereas the Maid of the Loch is around 500, the two are not comparable.
I didn't know the Scottish government have already bunged them 1 million already, that would have been better spent on pot holes or schools or the NHS
Old 2nd October 2018, 18:11
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
The Gondola on lake Windermere is around 50 tons whereas the Maid of the Loch is around 500, the two are not comparable.
... and, of course, it is in England!

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:22

Quote:
Just read in the Herald that the expected 3.6 million from the lottery funding will not be forth coming. They also must have realised that it would not be viable. The Gondola on lake Windermere is around 50 tons whereas the Maid of the Loch is around 500, the two are not comparable.
I didn't know the Scottish government have already bunged them 1 million already, that would have been better spent on pot holes or schools or the NHS
Sad news, maybe the money for the potholes will come from the new holiday village?
Davie
Old 5th October 2018, 16:28

Just had a lovely wee cruise on Loch Katrine, the Sir Walter Scott , glided through the magnificent scenery like a dream, smooth,nearly silent. None of those horrible thump thumps you get from a paddle steamer. Unlike the Maid of the Loch she was not and will not need a subsidy.

Saw a lovely wee steam boat , the Vesuvios, steaming out onto the loch. Does anyone have any information on her?
Old 5th October 2018, 17:00

"Sir Walter Scott" received a 1.75m grant from Scottish Govt and Scottish Water for maintenance work and the steamer is cross subsidised from other tourism activities eg Loch Katrine eco-lodge and camping development, which was itself grant funded.