Pursers. One or two? - Ships Nostalgia
19:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Pursers. One or two?

User Tag List

Old 31st August 2018, 15:07

My location
Pursers. One or two?

Can anyone recall if it was unusual to have two purser/stewards on Brocks? Reading some old threads I find references to 2nd purser.
I'm trying to recall if we had one or two on Mahanada 1957 and Mahronda 1959, and who they were.
Marwarri 1961 had just one, I'm sure. He was Peter Boggan (last heard of in Perth, WA)
Old 31st August 2018, 15:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1950 - 1961

Pursers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson View Post
Can anyone recall if it was unusual to have two purser/stewards on Brocks? Reading some old threads I find references to 2nd purser.
I'm trying to recall if we had one or two on Mahanada 1957 and Mahronda 1959, and who they were.
Marwarri 1961 had just one, I'm sure. He was Peter Boggan (last heard of in Perth, WA)
Harry, Two on Maidan, Magdapur, that I knew. One only on the old Mathura and Malabar (the ex Sam Boat) Regards, Roger
Old 31st August 2018, 16:39

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bentley View Post
Harry, Two on Maidan, Magdapur, that I knew. One only on the old Mathura and Malabar (the ex Sam Boat) Regards, Roger
Thanks, Roger - I hope all is well with you.
I have pics from 1957 Mahanada that show two different chaps as steward. I've been wrestling with that. Perhaps there were two, and Les Flockhart (from Dundee area) was junior to the chap from Bootle (sometimes known as the Duke) whose name I don't recall.

When we had two pursers- i wonder how they divided up their roles.

This forum is eerily quiet just now.

Best wishes
Harry
Old 31st August 2018, 19:30

Quote:
I have pics from 1957 Mahanada that show two different chaps as steward. I've been wrestling with that. Perhaps there were two, and Les Flockhart (from Dundee area) was junior to the chap from Bootle (sometimes known as the Duke) whose name I don't recall.

Best wishes
Harry
My cousin, Dicky Carberry was a purser in Brocklebanks, and he came from Bootle.
Whether or not he was nicknamed "The Duke" I don't know, but it would be typical of him, he was that kind of guy.
Pat
Old 31st August 2018, 19:53

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
My cousin, Dicky Carberry was a purser in Brocklebanks, and he came from Bootle.
Whether or not he was nicknamed "The Duke" I don't know, but it would be typical of him, he was that kind of guy.
Pat
Hello, Pat. Here's a pic of a trip ashore from Calcutta autumn 1957. The chap on the right I think is Mahanada's purser. I'm next to him (2r/o).
The fellow in specs is Steve Lee r/o but I dont think he was with Mahanada at the time.

Does the purser look like Dicky Carberry? I don't recall his name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3280Durgapur_picnic2.jpg (49.1 KB, 130 views)
Old 31st August 2018, 21:40

Quote:
Hello, Pat. Here's a pic of a trip ashore from Calcutta autumn 1957. The chap on the right I think is Mahanada's purser. I'm next to him (2r/o).
The fellow in specs is Steve Lee r/o but I dont think he was with Mahanada at the time.

Does the purser look like Dicky Carberry? I don't recall his name.

Yep Harry, That is our Dicky.
He was a real character, a gambler, charmer, and rogue. He was living in Blackburn but moved around frequently. I have not heard from for more than fifteen years and have to assume he has crossed the bar by now, he would be around 85.
He was sacked from Brocks for some jiggery pokery involving flogging ship's stores.

Regards,
Pat
Old 31st August 2018, 23:10

My location
Quote:
Yep Harry, That is our Dicky.
He was a real character, a gambler, charmer, and rogue. He was living in Blackburn but moved around frequently. I have not heard from for more than fifteen years and have to assume he has crossed the bar by now, he would be around 85.
He was sacked from Brocks for some jiggery pokery involving flogging ship's stores.

Regards,
Pat
Thanks, Pat. It's interesting to hear of him after nearly 60 years.
This discussion has triggered some pale memories - I can 'see' the pursers' cabins at the end of the corridor that ran past Mahanada's radio gear's motor room. Dicky's was forward and Les Flockhart, the 2nd steward, lived next door aft.
Les was from the Dundee area. During the war he held his Mam's hand at the entrance to the harbour to watch his Dad's vessel, an armed trawler, leave port. As they watched, the ship hit a mine and was destroyed. So Les saw his father die. That story is one that has stayed in memory when so much else has gone like a fog before the wind.
Old 31st August 2018, 23:51
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1996

Palm Line had:- Purser, Assistant Purser and a Writer.
Old 1st September 2018, 10:10
Active: 1969 - 1981

We had a Purser and Second Steward on the Maihar in 1977. Also on the Markhor in 1978 and 1980. Those were the only Brocks ships that I sailed on.

Ted ?Hanna? as Purser he was the father of the Catering Super Les ?Hanna?. He came back out of retirement for one more trip and Mike ?? as 2nd on the Maihar
Old 1st September 2018, 12:34
Active: 1961 - 1975

My location
Exclamation There was always-----

Quote:

Best wishes
Harry
-----two on every Brock ship I was on.

I can recall just two names unfortunately! (Anno domini and all that!!!), Ted Hannah and Bill Wilford on 'Maipura'.

Re. 'The Duke'.

The only 'Duke' I knew was Chief Engineer Dougie Ruddick, 'The Duke of Bootle'. Phil
Old 1st September 2018, 12:40
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

Writer

When I sailed with Ellermans and an Assistant Purser was carried the position was known as Ships Writer.
Old 1st September 2018, 15:15
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1968

#8 . On the Bamenda Palm we only had one purser.
Old 1st September 2018, 15:24
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Elders & Fyffes' "Golfito" had a Purser, Assistant Purser, Writer, & Chief Steward in 1960.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 1st September 2018, 19:53

Quote:
Thanks, Pat. It's interesting to hear of him after nearly 60 years.
This discussion has triggered some pale memories - I can 'see' the pursers' cabins at the end of the corridor that ran past Mahanada's radio gear's motor room. Dicky's was forward and Les Flockhart, the 2nd steward, lived next door aft.
Les was from the Dundee area. During the war he held his Mam's hand at the entrance to the harbour to watch his Dad's vessel, an armed trawler, leave port. As they watched, the ship hit a mine and was destroyed. So Les saw his father die. That story is one that has stayed in memory when so much else has gone like a fog before the wind.
That was a dreadful experience for Les, to watch his dad's ship mined and to know he wasn't ever coming back. I can't imagine how it felt for him to see that.

As for Dick Carberry, I phoned another cousin this morning and asked had she heard from him at all in the last few years. She told me that about ten years ago, he had phoned her to say he was moving into a nursing home run by nuns in the Manchester area, as he was no longer able to manage on his own. She did not get the address from him, and despite enquiring at several likely nursing homes, she never traced him, and assumes, like me, that Dicky has passed on.
Regards,
Pat
Old 1st September 2018, 21:41
Department: Purser
Active: 1950 - 1960

Quote:
Peter Boggan was around when I joined Elder Dempsters in 1950. We bumped into oneanother over the years until I came ashore in 1960.
Elders carried a purser or asst purser if you didn't have the seniority - did the job but less pay. The second man, or boy , was called the clerk or writer. My last trip was on the Owerri with Peter's older brother Brian. Bob Appleton
Old 1st September 2018, 23:12
Department: Electrician
Active: 1963 - 1975

Snr Pursers

Sailed on all cargo vessels deep sea with two pursers but one purser on tankers. those I recall are Bob Webb(3 trips on Matra63/64)). Fred Thomson(Manipur one trip 1966 to scrappy one trip on Maihar Vancouver/Japan runs 1971) late Charlie Clarke, Mahout68/69 Mahsud 69/70 Allan Woods Mahsud 70. Others I cannot remember for sure.

Coasted with Les Flockart twice, he was from Dundee lovely man and a generous/imaginative feeder,used to put curry on at teatime,a welcome change.
Old 2nd September 2018, 09:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don A.Macleod View Post
Sailed on all cargo vessels deep sea with two pursers but one purser on tankers. those I recall are Bob Webb(3 trips on Matra63/64)). Fred Thomson(Manipur one trip 1966 to scrappy one trip on Maihar Vancouver/Japan runs 1971) late Charlie Clarke, Mahout68/69 Mahsud 69/70 Allan Woods Mahsud 70. Others I cannot remember for sure.

Coasted with Les Flockart twice, he was from Dundee lovely man and a generous/imaginative feeder, used to put curry on at teatime,a welcome change.
Thanks for all the responses, chaps. I've now a clearer picture - it's surprising what recall comes when you're given a few triggers.
Les Flockhart played the tea chest double bass on Mahanada's skiffle group, he'd smoke his pipe at the same time. He was indeed a generous feeder. Guinea fowl curry in Calcutta! I enjoyed the meat loaves he cobbled together, though sometimes I did wonder what we were eating.
Old 2nd September 2018, 09:41

My location
Quote:
That was a dreadful experience for Les, to watch his dad's ship mined and to know he wasn't ever coming back. I can't imagine how it felt for him to see that.

As for Dick Carberry, I phoned another cousin this morning and asked had she heard from him at all in the last few years. She told me that about ten years ago, he had phoned her to say he was moving into a nursing home run by nuns in the Manchester area, as he was no longer able to manage on his own. She did not get the address from him, and despite enquiring at several likely nursing homes, she never traced him, and assumes, like me, that Dicky has passed on.
Regards,
Pat
Thanks for this, Pat. Dick organised an enjoyable run ashore in Calcutta for a picnic. I was grateful to him for getting some of us away from that foetid Kidderpore dock and out into the Bengal countryside - at least for a few hours. He was always well turned-out and more dignified than some of us.
Old 2nd September 2018, 09:45

My location
[QUOTE=appbob;2943485]Peter Boggan was around when I joined Elder Dempsters in 1950. We bumped into oneanother over the years until I came ashore in 1960.
Elders carried a purser or asst purser if you didn't have the seniority - did the job but less pay. The second man, or boy , was called the clerk or writer. My last trip was on the Owerri with Peter's older brother Brian. Bob Appleton[/QUOTE

Pete was purser on my last trip before coming ashore. The Marwarri (a fierce roller with a worryingly rusty hull). In the river Hooghly he would borrow the keys to my motor room, just for one night, for some mysterious purpose. Apparently it was customary . . .
Old 2nd September 2018, 10:35

My location
Hi Harry,

Sometimes one, sometimes two. Far as I remember - it was a long time ago:
Mahseer - Two (Les Hannah and ...............?)
Makrana - One
Mahronda - Two ( Arthur Moules (sp?) and ......?)
Manaar - One (Chips with everything, including breakfast)
Malakand - One (George Godfrey)
Maturata - One
Alaunia - one
Andania - One (Frank Canon?)
Happy days,
John / gwzm
Old 2nd September 2018, 23:02

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwzm View Post
Hi Harry,

Sometimes one, sometimes two. Far as I remember - it was a long time ago:
Mahseer - Two (Les Hannah and ...............?)
Makrana - One
Mahronda - Two ( Arthur Moules (sp?) and ......?)
Manaar - One (Chips with everything, including breakfast)
Malakand - One (George Godfrey)
Maturata - One
Alaunia - one
Andania - One (Frank Canon?)
Happy days,
John / gwzm
Thanks for that list, John. Compared to the Tyne collier I was on, Brocks was the Ritz. On Corburn, when we docked, the cook sent the boy ashore for a dozen sliced loaves, and fish and chip takeaways all round. A broad man, he served through the hatch, scratching his expansive hairy chest through his string vest, the while.
Old 3rd September 2018, 08:36
Active: 1956 - 1970

I was on the Corbrae probably about the the same time you were on the Corburn. our captain took a great interest in food and used to closely supervise the provision thereof. I recall it being a good feeder,probably a good boarding house standard. Luck of the draw.
Old 3rd September 2018, 10:40
Active: 1957 - 1967

On all the Brock ships I sailed on there was ever only one Purser. The only name I remember was Jim Summers on Maihar, who I believed passed away from Black Water Fever.
Old 7th September 2018, 10:50
Department: Electrician
Active: 1963 - 1975

Jimmy Sumners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccarton View Post
On all the Brock ships I sailed on there was ever only one Purser. The only name I remember was Jim Summers on Maihar, who I believed passed away from Black Water Fever.

Lovely person was Jim,sailed with him on Maipura along with Phil the chill. We were caught up in the canal closure but managed to turn round before Suez and went round the cape,a long way round . He` was a good feeder and sadly he passed away not long after that.Phil will remember probably.

Salaams Donald .
Old 7th September 2018, 14:17
Active: 1957 - 1967

He was a real character and certainly did us proud having done three voyages with him.