J & J Denholm - Page 14 - Ships Nostalgia
07:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J & J Denholm

User Tag List

Old 5th January 2007, 08:56

It may be that some of the ships were in fact customers of the Denholm agency in Greenock. Gastor for example was laid up in Loch Striven for 20 years with her sister Nestor, Blue Flue of course.

These are both now in service as LNG Lagos and LNG Port Harcourt.

The Sugar vessels were regular callers in Greenock.
Old 7th January 2007, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulpers View Post
Stephen,

Seatrain Saratoga for certain - I sailed on her and one of our members Tom S was Old Man before he joined Forth Ports. Seatrain Bennington was sister ship.
Seatrain Saratoga was renamed the TFL Jefferson, sailed on her under both names.
Another one for the list Caledonian Forest
Old 8th January 2007, 10:48
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Thumbs up Welcome

tumble38,

Thanks for that. Did you notice the recent photographs and threads covering the loss of CP Glory - one of Seatrain Saratoga's sisterships?

I see you have been registered with SN since Dec 2004 so I'm delighted that you have chosen to make your first post in the "Diamond D" thread.

Keep at it and join in with some of oue banter.
Old 3rd February 2007, 10:45

Denholms Ship Management Ships

I was an engineering cadet on the Burmah Legacy in 1982 also served time on the Cast Narwhal. Other ships I sailed on with Denhoms were the Afran Sky,Merchant Pioneer and the Wellpark.I noticed some were missing from your list.
Old 3rd February 2007, 11:14

I've just looked at my discharge book and I've forgotten the MV Helm.Served on her from11/84 to 4/85
Old 3rd February 2007, 11:19

The Burmah Legacy at the time was the biggest tanker to enter Sydney Harbour and we just managed to clear the Bridge! Was on Channel 9 news, the first of many contacts with the press in my time at sea! On route from Mobile we were placed on stby to go to the Falklands( or so we were told?),but we were replaced by the Atlantic Conveyor and we all know what happened to that one!
Old 11th February 2007, 09:16
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1986

My location
Only just joined!(ex 3rd/2nd Mate)
Have just read some of the posts and it brings back happy memories of my time with the Diamond D. ships I was on included Eden Bridge(my reliefe was killed after only a few days when he fell down a hold or tank).Nordic Louisianna - stood by her for 4months in Port Sulphur, with a 2nd Engineer when laid up. Broompark twice(always seemed to end up in the Great Lakes and Australia!) Clunepark was my first trip with DD in the early 70s Lloyd was captain. I did a trip on the Nordic Clansman but that is a complete blank except for the hydrolic indicators not working and having to put my ear to the pipeline and listen for the valves opening/closing. Happy days!etc etc etc. What I remember most is the great people I met all characters and all good shipmates.

sorry did not mean to Rabbit

Enjoy life Dick
Old 11th February 2007, 11:44
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick S View Post
Only just joined!(ex 3rd/2nd Mate)
Have just read some of the posts and it brings back happy memories of my time with the Diamond D. ships I was on included Eden Bridge(my reliefe was killed after only a few days when he fell down a hold or tank).Nordic Louisianna - stood by her for 4months in Port Sulphur, with a 2nd Engineer when laid up. Broompark twice(always seemed to end up in the Great Lakes and Australia!) Clunepark was my first trip with DD in the early 70s Lloyd was captain. I did a trip on the Nordic Clansman but that is a complete blank except for the hydrolic indicators not working and having to put my ear to the pipeline and listen for the valves opening/closing. Happy days!etc etc etc. What I remember most is the great people I met all characters and all good shipmates.

sorry did not mean to Rabbit

Enjoy life Dick
Dick,

Was the 3/O who fell to his death on Eden Bridge "Stevie Saunders?"

I sailed with Stevie on Erskine Bridge and by coincidence, a week or two ago John Cassels and I were trying to remember which ship Stevie died on.

Rgds
Old 11th February 2007, 13:03

My location
Ray
Will contact you personally as my memory may play me false and I do want to hurt anyone

Dick
Old 11th February 2007, 20:23

Quote:
Dick,

Was the 3/O who fell to his death on Eden Bridge "Stevie Saunders?"

I sailed with Stevie on Erskine Bridge and by coincidence, a week or two ago John Cassels and I were trying to remember which ship Stevie died on.

Rgds

Ray,

Stevie Saunders and I were for for 2/M in Glasgow together. Fine fellow for sure. He owned one of those small and dangerous 3-wheeled vans. He rolled it one day coming to college. The topside was ground away to nothing but fortunately...in this case... Stevie did not have a seatbelt on and he was thrown from the wreck. He was in hospital for for a few weeks. He was killed on his next ship. If you have any old Denholm News handy, the story was carried in Ship News... I guess around Simmer 1975.

Stephen
Old 11th February 2007, 21:41
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Ray,

Stevie Saunders and I were for for 2/M in Glasgow together. Fine fellow for sure. He owned one of those small and dangerous 3-wheeled vans. He rolled it one day coming to college. The topside was ground away to nothing but fortunately...in this case... Stevie did not have a seatbelt on and he was thrown from the wreck. He was in hospital for for a few weeks. He was killed on his next ship. If you have any old Denholm News handy, the story was carried in Ship News... I guess around Simmer 1975.

Stephen
Stephen,

Yes, thank you for the confirmation. Dick S has also sent me a PM which ties in exactly with what you wrote.
If I remember correctly, Stevie was from Barnsley and was proud of his membership of the "Royal Antediluvian Order Of Buffaloes!"
Old 19th February 2007, 20:56

My location
denholms men

(found my old book and after reading some of the stories on this site i have to ask is their any other old g.p. ratings still out there as well,or am i all alone?sailed with denholms first boat was the loch lomond aug.76-jan.77.stayed with denholms till march-79 then went into north sea-still there yet with farstad as motorman. a few photos of denholm ships passed onto me by my old man archie dowling.fort st. catherine-naess spirit-loch maree-trollriver. will try to send copies to anyone if they require them.it may take a while as i am new to this kind of technology.
Old 19th February 2007, 21:09
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Welcome to SN Dowling and more specifically to the Denholm thread.

I don't think I met you but I certainly sailed with your Old Man on Troll River.

He was our Lecky - big bearded guy with glasses, and always game for a yarn or a laugh!

Scraping the barrel here but didn't your mother sail with him too? Was her name June?

Last edited by Gulpers; 19th February 2007 at 22:55..
Old 20th February 2007, 13:43

My location
Quote:
Welcome to SN Dowling and more specifically to the Denholm thread.

I don't think I met you but I certainly sailed with your Old Man on Troll River.

He was our Lecky - big bearded guy with glasses, and always game for a yarn or a laugh!

Scraping the barrel here but didn't your mother sail with him too? Was her name June?
cannot remember any laughs with him.yes my mothers name was june and she was away with him a few times on arctic troll.she passed away a few years ago.currently sailing with ex-denholm cook alex leckie from largs.he has been filling me in on what happened with the company as he says he was one of the last cooks to finish.
Old 20th February 2007, 16:07
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowling View Post
cannot remember any laughs with him.yes my mothers name was june and she was away with him a few times on arctic troll.she passed away a few years ago.currently sailing with ex-denholm cook alex leckie from largs.he has been filling me in on what happened with the company as he says he was one of the last cooks to finish.
Could well have been Arctic Troll right enough. Sorry to hear about your Mum.
Old 20th February 2007, 19:28

My location
old archie still going about but now showing his age a wee bit.he now stays down near fleetwood.
Old 25th February 2007, 20:14

My location
Denholms - J&J, Offshore etc

Hi Gulpers

Joined denholms in 1966 as Engineer Cadet, left Anglo Eastern in 2004 as base manager for NATO Research Vessel ALLIANCE.( AE had taken over /merged with Denholm Ship Management in 2003.)

During time with Denholm sailed on following - Naess Endeavour, Naess Sovereign, Nordic Texas, Muirfield, Scandia Team, Novergia Team, Euroliner, Eurofreighter, Nordic Louisiana, Chemical Venturer, Subsea Canopus, RV ALLIANCE.

The last two were managed by Denholm Offshore from Aberdeen and then transfered back to Denholm Ship Management in Glasgow.

Have pictures of most of these somewhere, apart from the Endeavour and Sovereign as I was a poor cadet and couldn't afford a camera.

Graham
Old 25th February 2007, 20:18

My location
Dick

2nd Engineer was me. Still connected with the remains of Denholms but from the owners side.

Graham Hutton
Old 26th February 2007, 01:06
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Smile Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hutton View Post
Hi Gulpers

Joined denholms in 1966 as Engineer Cadet, left Anglo Eastern in 2004 as base manager for NATO Research Vessel ALLIANCE.( AE had taken over /merged with Denholm Ship Management in 2003.)

During time with Denholm sailed on following - Naess Endeavour, Naess Sovereign, Nordic Texas, Muirfield, Scandia Team, Novergia Team, Euroliner, Eurofreighter, Nordic Louisiana, Chemical Venturer, Subsea Canopus, RV ALLIANCE.

The last two were managed by Denholm Offshore from Aberdeen and then transfered back to Denholm Ship Management in Glasgow.

Have pictures of most of these somewhere, apart from the Endeavour and Sovereign as I was a poor cadet and couldn't afford a camera.

Graham
Graham,

A warm welcome to the site, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
Good luck!
Old 26th February 2007, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hutton View Post
Hi Gulpers

Graham
hi graham was it as late as 2003 denholms merged with AE. i seem to have read 2000? mike p also just joined this site you must certainly know him.as your leader. you dont happen to know when denholm left st vincent street for that other office by chance?
Old 26th February 2007, 18:17

My location
Graham,
glad to hear you are still around - I never thought you'd make it after those months in Port Sulphur - remember Mardi Gras and my creme de shandies!!!!!

Dick
Old 26th February 2007, 18:56

Hullo Dowling,
I was first trip apprentice (deck) on Broompark 1961/1962 Leckie on there was Archie Dowling trip lasted 14 months 5days. I think he stayed in Clydebank or could have been whiteinch. is this the same guy,
Argyll
Old 27th February 2007, 20:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
Hullo Dowling,
I was first trip apprentice (deck) on Broompark 1961/1962 Leckie on there was Archie Dowling trip lasted 14 months 5days. I think he stayed in Clydebank or could have been whiteinch. is this the same guy,
Argyll
yes the same man.we stayed in whiteinch till 1965 then moved to dunbar.old archie still going about now staying down near fleetwood.think he finished with denholms early or mid eighties.i finished with denholms 1979 still at sea but in the north sea.
Old 28th February 2007, 16:39

My location
Hi Ruud
Just seen your note on the Crystal Cube the pic looks like the one on Brian's site. I placed the other one on his site the one running with her up to Duluth in the Lakes. Good trip and very interesting with regards to the seamanship working the Locks. The St. Lawrence and the Welling Canals would make a good thread. Anyway thanks for the offer of the pic, much appreciated
Old 28th February 2007, 16:52

My location
Hi Gulpers

Looking foward to the completed list of Denholm ships. The Naess Endeavour just does not seem to get much of a mention. I spent my first 6 months at sea running to the Gulf and back to Rotterdam. It was not what I thought the sea was all about, but it all changed when I got away from tankers.