J & J Denholm - Page 25 - Ships Nostalgia
21:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J & J Denholm

User Tag List

Old 24th March 2009, 10:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
Cast Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT(Bert) FRATER View Post
More names for the list - I served on most of them :
CAST HERON(OBO), CLARKEDEN (Ore), BINSNES (Geared Bulker), BAKNES (Geared Bulker), GLEDDOCH (Ore), JERSEY BRIDGE (Bulk), KYOTO FOREST(Geared Bulker converted to Container), MORVEN (OBO), NAESS CAVALIER (Bulk), NAESS CLARION (Bulk), NAESS CLIPPER (Bulk), NAESS PARKGATE (Bulk), NAESS TRADER (Ore), NORDIC PATRIOT (Bulk), ORMSARY (Ore), VANCOUVER TRADER (Bulk), VANCOUVER ISLAND (Geared Bulker).
Also CONON FOREST was renamed HAVRAIS for charter purposes but reverted to CONON FOREST thereafter. SEATRAIN SARATOGA was renamed TFL JEFFERSON and did several trips under this name beforwe being 'flagged out'.
Hi Bert sailed with you on the Cast Heron, remember the long haul at reduced speed from Norfolk to Kakagawa, when we arrived at the outer achorage we were just using the last of the foods from the frifdge board sweepings, also made use of the lifeboat diesel for the top up for the final leg into the inner anchorage. Good old days.
I remember the agent asking quite sternly, why had we run out of food and bunkers.

Spence lewis (ch/std)
Old 24th March 2009, 12:15

My location
Loch Maree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob salmon View Post
Gulpers.
I was on Advara plus Loch Lomond Loch Maree,having just joined still navigating site,I was 3rd engineer/reefer at the time Loch lomond was handed over to Salem in malta,I still have one Denholms magazine with Advara on the back page,Lots of good memories of the Loch boats with the exception of the generators,they were very tempremental,Mike pride was 2nd on the Maree when I was there,that was a good voyage,Nelson in NZ springs to mind,plus we had one afternoon in Honolulu on our way down to there from Tokyo.
Rob salmon
Have only just joined and am desperately trying to pick up people from the old threads on Loch Maree, Rob I remember this trip we loaded cars in Korea,
unloaded in Honololu then Nelson NZ loaded Apples for Helsinki, Capt Ian Graham, Chief Engineer John Deacon.
Do you remember we had just sailed form Nelson early evening, dropped the Pilot, I had just got my head down after the hectic port life, when Ian Graham came into the cabin woke me told me to get my pass key as we had to search for a Stowaway!!! he went straight to the catering staff alleyway, banged on an asst stwds door and told me to open up, inside was the stwd and one of the girls he had persuaded to come with him, what a f---ing idiot, NZ to Finland trying to keep a girl secret on a ship!! apart from that it was an excellent trip.

Hope you get to read this and reply.

Regards,

Spence Lewis Ch/Stwd
Old 25th March 2009, 00:08

My location
Spencer,

I remember your name, but I can't remember if I had the pleasure of sailing with you. I was on Dalma back to back with Derek Fuller and also had a trip on Al Dhafrah, otherwise it was mostly assorted Nordics.

Best Regards,

Roddie MacKenzie.
Old 25th March 2009, 04:22

My location
Dalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by randcmackenzie View Post
Spencer,

I remember your name, but I can't remember if I had the pleasure of sailing with you. I was on Dalma back to back with Derek Fuller and also had a trip on Al Dhafrah, otherwise it was mostly assorted Nordics.

Best Regards,

Roddie MacKenzie.
Roddie, I just looked my old discharge book, dates were Dubai 9/8/77 left Dubai 28/01/78.
Where you on there then ?
Spence.
Old 25th March 2009, 23:49

My location
No Spence, at that time I was on Muirfield and then Al Dhafrah.
Looks like our paths didn't cross.

Best regards.
Old 26th March 2009, 03:57

My location
Dalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by randcmackenzie View Post
No Spence, at that time I was on Muirfield and then Al Dhafrah.
Looks like our paths didn't cross.

Best regards.
But what a ship! I have never seen so many Engineers on one ship and riding squads to back them up.
Apart from Rodney some good times.

Spence.
Old 10th June 2009, 22:47

My location
Sad to read of the death of Graham Gardener on the Air France flight lost over the Atlantic.
I sailed with Graham on the Wellpark's maiden voyage.
Old 10th June 2009, 22:54

My location
Spence
I remember you well. I was deck cadet on the Marie, joined her in dry dock North Sheilds and paid off with you and the Deak and the engineer cadet in Japan in 79 or 80.
Stevie Card was Mate and a great lad, I am still in contact with him from time to time, doing very well as an artist now as you may well know.
Graeme Smith
Old 10th June 2009, 22:55

My location
Well now, my memory said he was an ex Denholm man, and the name was ringing bells, but I can't remember if I sailed with him or not. I think I did, and certainly the photograph looks familiar.

Sad indeed, we have all made these pay-off or crew change flights. Like the helicopter in the North sea, it is a huge blow when something taken for granted goes wrong so tragically.

Best Regards,

Roddie.
Old 11th June 2009, 03:53

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkney View Post
Spence
I remember you well. I was deck cadet on the Marie, joined her in dry dock North Sheilds and paid off with you and the Deak and the engineer cadet in Japan in 79 or 80.
Stevie Card was Mate and a great lad, I am still in contact with him from time to time, doing very well as an artist now as you may well know.
Graeme Smith
Graeme, if I remeber correctly the flight was Tokyo, Anchorage - London, I think I have you in a photo taken in Anchorage standing by the Big white bear.
I'll dig it out and try to get it scanned and send you a copy. Spoke with Steve last week, just arrived back in Bermuda. I'll probably have to wait a few weeks to get a reply.
So you are now a Pilot, well its a change at least you get home most nights.
Drop me a line sometime.
Ever hear anything about the DeaK ?

Spence.
Old 7th July 2009, 00:48

What great links with a past I thought had slipped away from me!

I am sure that the vessel used as an atavar in this post will be familiar to some!
Joined J&J Denholm in 1964. After a night in Duncan's Temperance Hotel (anyone recall that?) we flew as a crew (Dan Air) via Iceland and Gander (Nfld) to Tampa and Mobile to join "Naess Favorita". Not a ship much talked of in this thread. Quite a flight - anyone else remember it?
Other ships were: "Glenpark" "Clunepark" "Naess Scotsman" "Dunadd" "Sir Andrew Duncan".

Family links with the company go back to WW1. My Grandfather (Captain William Rickard) was Senior Master throughout WW2. Captain Henderson (later Marine Super) was an apprentice with him.

Best regards to all from the J&J Denholm ships of the 60s.................

Barnaby Perkins.

Last edited by barnabyperkins; 7th July 2009 at 00:59.. Reason: Additional material
Old 7th July 2009, 03:43
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1952

J&J Denholm

G'Day Barnarby Perkins- whilst I did not sail on any Denholm ships I was Ship Manager with them in the fifties/early sixties.I managed Group"D" Glenpark,Clunepark,Dunadd,SirAndrewDuncan were with other vessels all part of my management group. I do of course remember Capt Henderson -enjoyed my time there before moving on to new challenges -Regards Teb
Old 8th July 2009, 20:23

Hi
Just joined and came across your thread.
I sailed with J&J Denholm as a sparky, between 77 and 84 and sailed on a few of them
THey managed a couple of Meark SHips too.
I was involved with Mearsk Angus and Meask Buchan when they were on charter to BP in the North Sea Buchan oil field.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:33

J & J Denholm

Hello there from Bill Rankine. Joined Denholms in 1971 as a deck cadet and after the induction course headed off to join the Troll River. I "googled" her this morning and found this site. I wish I had known this was out here all this time. Hoping to hear from old Denholm pals or perhaps GCNS.
Old 17th July 2009, 16:20

Hi to all

I sailed in the Dunblane in the early 70s, 1971 if my memory is correct. I think they had just aquired her and she was formerly named Redcar can't remember the name of the company she came from.

Also if my memory is correct I joined her in Immingham sailed for Narvick iron ore back to Immingham on to Seven Islands iron ore back to Birkenhead sailed back to Severn Islands back to Birkenhead where I paid off. As I have said this is all from memory but I think I am correct.

Graham
Old 18th July 2009, 17:44
Active: 1958 - 1964

hello gulpers i dunno if this the correct way to post. I looked and it said had 13 replies to my post but I cannot find any

I Went to Grimsby to Join MV Broompark it was grim and cold at a very early hour. Someone gave me directions to the ship she was drydocked. Funny thing my D/C book shows Immingham, maybe dome one would mind why.

I joined 29/3/1961 not like my prevoius posts. Left in Osaka Japan. First voyage was Antwerp, Bremen to the US then we went and loaded Wheat at Baltimore for the Med, I remember going to Genoa it was horribly cold and didn't go ashore there my next memory is Piraeus Greece an d then we went through suez and I have lost my little list of ports of call and dates there much to my chagrin. We called in Australia at one time. I Think maybe the apprentices were the ones mentioned although it is a very long time ago

I would like to say hullo to the Tarbet folks as I Know for sure the youngest
apprentice hailed from there.

I had another voyage after in 1962 on MV limerick and we called at Newcastle NSW again which sealed my fate as I met a lass there aand well you know the rest. The Limerick wasn't the same as the Broompark and I found that scotsmen were much better to sail with.

I went over to the Australian Merchant Navy after and after my 2 years were up went ashore frixing tellys.

My Sailing Days were sadly over since I was hauled ashore by my girl!

I still long for the Broompark days funny isn't it.

All the best and if you can help me navigate to the replies that were posted it would be a greatful old codger here. Pity we get old just when things are getting interesting. If any lads are out here please get in touch for a yarn.

Roy Thwaites
Later I went to the Limerick in Avonmouth paid off a year later in Victoria Docks
Old 18th July 2009, 18:20

Hi Roy, I was deck boy on the Broompark on her maiden voyage 13.05.1959 to 25.03.1960. Dan
Old 18th July 2009, 18:35

Thanks Dan I joined in 1961 March a drydock near Grimsby. I remember a deck boy as he was mates with the younger apprentice.

I have just found your reply.

Roy
Old 18th July 2009, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowling View Post
yes the same man.we stayed in whiteinch till 1965 then moved to dunbar.old archie still going about now staying down near fleetwood.think he finished with denholms early or mid eighties.i finished with denholms 1979 still at sea but in the north sea.
Sorry to butt in but the lecky rings a bell do you remember me the sparky roy
Old 19th July 2009, 10:58

I was a Donaldson "man", but I see my first ship, the "new" Letitia, was mentioned in the list after being sold and renamed the "Bibi"!
What really takes me back though are the frequent mentions of the Dalma and the Al Dhafrah! Ah yes, happy days in Jabal Dhanna where I was Pilot.
The Dalma was storage vessel there for quite a while and I remember fondly, some exciting alongside berthings whilst training the new breed of Pilots. However, a wee dram calmed me down afterwards! I shan't mention any of the Masters' names though, as we might have been bending a couple of rules.
Ah, the good old days prior to the Exxon Valdez!
Old 20th July 2009, 00:36

I was with Denholms as junior engineer in the late 70's /early 80's. Norman Logan.

Sailed on Nordic Texas and Nordic Louisiana, Chemical Venturer, Chemical Explorer, the odd one out being Coastal Corpus Christie. There were a couple of others but I'll have to dig out my lil' blue book.

Spent a bit of time backreading this thread and I recognise some of the names, but then again there are probably few who can remeber me.

Apprenticed in the Middle docks in South Shields, I worked on the a lot of the ships mentioned,little believing that I would sail on them eventually. Ah if I only knew then ....
Old 21st July 2009, 16:14

earlier reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Janner View Post
Have only just joined and am desperately trying to pick up people from the old threads on Loch Maree, Rob I remember this trip we loaded cars in Korea,
unloaded in Honololu then Nelson NZ loaded Apples for Helsinki, Capt Ian Graham, Chief Engineer John Deacon.
Do you remember we had just sailed form Nelson early evening, dropped the Pilot, I had just got my head down after the hectic port life, when Ian Graham came into the cabin woke me told me to get my pass key as we had to search for a Stowaway!!! he went straight to the catering staff alleyway, banged on an asst stwds door and told me to open up, inside was the stwd and one of the girls he had persuaded to come with him, what a f---ing idiot, NZ to Finland trying to keep a girl secret on a ship!! apart from that it was an excellent trip.

Hope you get to read this and reply.

Regards,

Spence Lewis Ch/Stwd
I have not been on site for a while so missed your reply,sorry,are you living in falmouth,I am at bodmin,my daughter lives in penryn,that brought back memories,the stowaway at nelson,I had the screamer,she picked me up at the football match and afterwards the Hangii where it poured with rain and we all went on the piss in the garage,great port,we loaded cars in Tokyo,I have a plate made of that time,am I right?John deacon,we nearly got kicked out of a bar in long beach because of his stutter,they thought he was drunk.
regards rob
Old 27th July 2009, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob salmon View Post
I John deacon,we nearly got kicked out of a bar in long beach because of his stutter,they thought he was drunk.
regards rob

And the second place we tried that evening I got 'carded' and they would'n't serve because they thought I was under age! But we managed!

Rob, I think we should pay a vit to Spence. That would upset the neighbours!

Stephen
Old 28th July 2009, 03:54

My location
Come on down, the price is right.
Steve, Rob you are more than welcome.
Summer lasts till end of September, maybe into mid October.
Or Make plans for next year Summer starts Mid May, though I have been known to go swimming in April.

Spence.
Old 29th July 2009, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Janner View Post
Come on down, the price is right.
Steve, Rob you are more than welcome.
Summer lasts till end of September, maybe into mid October.
Or Make plans for next year Summer starts Mid May, though I have been known to go swimming in April.

Spence.

Spence,

Ah, perhaps we should make some plans for next summer.

Stephen