J & J Denholm - Page 35 - Ships Nostalgia
20:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J & J Denholm

User Tag List

Old 9th November 2018, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
I sailed as Ch Mate on the Rocknes and Rollnes between March 1987 and September 1989 when they were manned by Denholm (IOM) Ltd. The technical management was however, if memory serves me right, still Jebsens.
Excellent, thank you. That at least ties them down a bit tighter in my fleet chronology
Old 27th December 2018, 14:37

Hi all,
Would like to know if anyone remembers my Dad, Alan Common. He was Chief Engineer and worked for Denholms throughout the 70's and early 80's.

One of the ships on which he was chief was the Severn Bridge. My mother, brother and sisters were on board for a trip round the world in 1973-74 on this ship and we all have fantastic memories still. One name I do remember was the Captain, Willie MacRae from Aberdeen.

If any bells have been rung that would be fantastic
Old 27th December 2018, 15:11
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybumbler View Post
Hi all,
Would like to know if anyone remembers my Dad, Alan Common. He was Chief Engineer and worked for Denholms throughout the 70's and early 80's.

One of the ships on which he was chief was the Severn Bridge. My mother, brother and sisters were on board for a trip round the world in 1973-74 on this ship and we all have fantastic memories still. One name I do remember was the Captain, Willie MacRae from Aberdeen.

If any bells have been rung that would be fantastic
Sailed with your Dad on Loch Maree. We both stood by as a new build at Scotstoun in December 1975. The Captain was Davy Dickson, 2nd Engineer Willie Woods, Electrician Donald Campbell. Subsequent to maiden voyage, we sailed together, as he was permanent Chief onboard. Great personality, enjoyed a beer (or two) with him. There may be some info and photos of your Dad in some old 'Denholm News', I'll dig them out from the loft after the holidays, and add to this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alan Common.jpg (207.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Loch Maree 4.jpg (184.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Loch Maree launching.jpg (138.3 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Supercargo; 28th December 2018 at 12:23..
Old 28th December 2018, 05:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercargo View Post
Sailed with your Dad on Loch Maree. We both stood by as a new build at Scotstoun in December 1975. The Captain was Davy Dickson, 2nd Engineer Willie Woods, Electrician Donald Campbell. Subsequent to maiden voyage, we sailed together, as he was permanent Chief onboard. Great personality, enjoyed a beer (or two) with him. There may be some info and photos of your Dad in some old 'Denholm News', I'll dig them out from the loft after the holidays, and add to this post.

That's fantastic mate! Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated
Old 28th December 2018, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybumbler View Post
That's fantastic mate! Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated
There is a great following from ex Loch Maree personnel, who will no doubt come back with memories of the Geordie Chief.
Old 28th December 2018, 12:26
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 2000

My location
If It's the same Willie Woods, he was born and raised in Kentallen in the cottage I live in, last heard of was living in Milingavie (spelling) think he finished up as Chief.
Old 28th December 2018, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickentallen View Post
If It's the same Willie Woods, he was born and raised in Kentallen in the cottage I live in, last heard of was living in Milingavie (spelling) think he finished up as Chief.
Photo of Willie Woods. I shared digs with him whilst standing by building of Loch Maree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willie Woods.jpg (261.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 28th December 2018, 13:49

Wish he'd known about this site when he was still alive. He sadly died in 2015. I'm sure though he'll be well remembered as he was a fantastic character!
Old 7th May 2019, 21:05

Hi, my father is Captain John Rhodes who was with Denholms, retired from sailing in 1976 and became a Superintendent with Denholms until around 1986 or 1987. Sadly he died last year aged 90.

He was good friends with Captain Willie McAllister (who died some time ago I think), Captain Lamont Ross (living in Perthshire) and Ian Anderson (living in Fife, I think he was First Engineer?).

Can't add too much about the names of the ships he sailed on I'm afraid, he and my mother used to rattle off ship's names they had sailed on together after they married, Burmah Pearl rings a bell, other than that I can't remember any other although there were several.

Have seen his name mentioned on a couple of Denholms threads, so there are a few folk out there who remember sailing with him.

http://www.historicalrfa.org/requisi...ish-confidence also mentions a fatal accident which saw two of his friends killed off the coast of Australia in 1947.
Old 7th May 2019, 23:25

Dear Alan,

Sorry to hear that your father has passed. A fine gentleman. I sailed him 1974 in NORDIC CLANSMAN. Later that year I was at his house in Crieff along with Lamont Ross.

Alan, I would like to send my sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Stephen
(Bermuda)
Old 8th May 2019, 00:34
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

I am sorry to hear that (I cannot see it has been reported elsewhere and my memory is a sieve). I met John for the first time in the office and enjoyed his company. As for you, Alan, I do remember having dinner with your family when one of you brats had chicken pox. A week later I was off sick with shingles!
Old 8th May 2019, 09:54
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
Alan condolences to you and your family remember your Father well I think the last time I saw him was in Perth enjoyed working with him
Tom S
Old 8th May 2019, 22:06

Thanks Gents.

Varley - there were four of us kids so the odds are 3-1 against me being responsible for your shingles!

Tom S - yes, he and our mother retired to Perth around 1987 (he then worked part time as a safety officer in a Dundee college for a while). He lived there until early last year when he moved into a nursing home in Linwood for his last few months. He and our mother (who died in 2011) lived in Crieff when they got married in 1960 until he left sailing and we moved to Glasgow in 1976.

I have a few pictures of him on board an iron ore ship at Bone in Algeria in the mid fifties, with pictures of a few others (M. Mullen, W. Price and G. Grierson) - not sure if it's a Denholm ship but I will post them when I get a chance.
Old 10th May 2019, 19:29

Sorry to hear of your fathers passing. I sailed with him as 3rd mate (just after gaining my 2nd mates ticket) on the Naess Sovereign in 1967. I was on the ship for a year and three days and Capt Rhodes was one of the masters. Your father wore a Rolex GMT Master watch, which really impressed me! As I had my 21st birthday onboard I decided to treat myself and your father arranged for the agent in Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia , to purchase one for me from a duty free shop. If I remember rightly it cast 82, that was almost 52 years ago and I'm still wearing it 24/7, I think I got my money's worth. Your was a very pleasant person, he was helpful and encouraging to a young deck officer and I always had fond memories of him, I'm sure are proud of him.
George Porteous
Old 11th May 2019, 00:20
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

A dry sense of humour and one that was always kindly. Infectious, just like his children!
Old 11th May 2019, 05:44
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

You still have a touch of shingles on your chin and chops.