Marine Engineering Lecturers Remembered.... - Ships Nostalgia
04:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Marine Engineering Lecturers Remembered....

User Tag List

Old 12th November 2008, 15:27
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Marine Engineering Lecturers Remembered....

In the vein of other threads......Lets hear your anecdotes about your time in Phase I and III and the lecturering characters ......!!!!
Rgds.
Dave
Old 12th November 2008, 21:27

@ Riversdale [1972].

Eric Knowles;
Font of knowledge, good humoured, good natured and patient.

imho.

B.
Old 12th November 2008, 21:35
Active: 1970 - 2001

Joe Watson,Electrical Lecturer at Liverpool Poly.....and DIggle..ex ED I think
Old 13th November 2008, 20:43

GCNS (GLasgow College of Nautical Studies)

Alan Bolwell - Applied Heat (Thermodynamics?). An absolute genius, who as luck would have it (for us) set the final exam paper

Sandy Smith - Seemed harsh at the time (phase 1) but turned out to be an ace guy (phase 3). Sadly - he made it to the top of the tree at the college in time for all the cadet lay-offs.

Dougie Patterson - Electrical Engineering. You would think he ran the Phase 3 workshop . Told the class that his wife was a "Catering Manager". I couldn't help myself - I shouted "Your wife's a dinner lady at ***** High School!"

Surprisingly - I didn't fail.

Al
Old 13th November 2008, 23:20
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
Joe Watson was a great guy - one time Mayor of Maghull. Sadly passed away some years ago.
I think Diggle was ex BF but wouldn't argue about it.
Old 13th November 2008, 23:52
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Anyone remember George Saltrese ( E/Ks ) or Commander Kenworthy Neale (Heat Engines ) George Harwood ( Math ) Others are clear in my mind but I cannot put a name Help !!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Derek

Last edited by Derek Roger; 13th November 2008 at 23:53.. Reason: spelling
Old 13th November 2008, 23:54
Super Moderator

My location
Elecro Tech was a mister Endbinder . The grey cells are kicking in again . Derek
Old 14th November 2008, 00:05
Super Moderator

My location
Also at Riversdale I think it was a Mr Humpries who took us for Applied Mechanics ???
At the end of first year finals he read out all the marks and mine was omitted ! Stuck up my paw and asked as to mine . Had me out in the front of the class and showed me the paper 100% scored out and 99% marked in .
"Took off a percent for poor writing he said " Otherwise you would be as smart as me as that,s not going to Happen !

Was I ever Pleased Derek
Old 14th November 2008, 06:41
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Great Posts! Keep them coming guys! Knowlsie, agree a great guy! His son went on to great things as a surveyor! Any comments on Birkenhead Tech? I am in Honduras, will post more later! Derek Burton, Mc Cloud, Ashok?
Old 14th November 2008, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersuk View Post
Joe Watson was a great guy - one time Mayor of Maghull. Sadly passed away some years ago.
I think Diggle was ex BF but wouldn't argue about it.
Diggle was indeed Blue Funnel. Understand he still sports his yachty type hat and cycles everywhere around West Kirby. Eric Knowles, Chairman of NW IMarEST is not keeping the best of health but still active.

Last edited by Bill Davies; 14th November 2008 at 09:18.. Reason: Help should read health
Old 14th November 2008, 08:55

I remember my time at Bolton. The cadets had the old church, an annex to the college. At lunch time you could get a pint of cider and a paste and go site amongst the graves.
First year was easy, not a lot of work done, everyone away from home for the first time. Second year was hard. Had to cram both years work into the second. After that we all went our own ways. Still remember the names and faces although they will have all changed since 1968
Old 14th November 2008, 11:18

Yes Riversdale back in 1955. Gordon (?) Kenworthy-Kneale (Heat Engines) has already had a mention; also George Harwood who would help us out with any other subject when needed; ? Bailey for Mechanics (he was a bell ringer at the Sailors Church) also very proud of his Rover car - we lifted it onto bricks so the rear wheels were just off the ground, he started it and thought the clutch had gone. I can see the sadistic PE guy but can't put a name to him. I'll try to recall some others, who was it who went to a new college in(I think) Singapore?

Last edited by oglebilluk; 14th November 2008 at 11:22..
Old 14th November 2008, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackal View Post
GCNS (GLasgow College of Nautical Studies)

Alan Bolwell - Applied Heat (Thermodynamics?). An absolute genius, who as luck would have it (for us) set the final exam paper

Sandy Smith - Seemed harsh at the time (phase 1) but turned out to be an ace guy (phase 3). Sadly - he made it to the top of the tree at the college in time for all the cadet lay-offs.

Dougie Patterson - Electrical Engineering. You would think he ran the Phase 3 workshop . Told the class that his wife was a "Catering Manager". I couldn't help myself - I shouted "Your wife's a dinner lady at ***** High School!"

Surprisingly - I didn't fail.

Al
Spot on with Sandy Smith. would come across as an ogre when you were in phase 1. However, I was sat with him in the GCNS canteen a few years later when doing my 4th's ticket. By that point CGNS was doing secreterial courses, and other non sea faring stuff. Sandy looked round the canteen, and commented sadly that we were the only 2 guys in a nearly packed canteen that had ever been at sea.

Alan 'If you do what I tell you, you will get 85% in your exams' Bolwell. there's a name I haven't heard in many years. A really nice guy. He once made the 85% qoute to my class when we were in phase 1. Some bright spark stuck his hand up and said 'If we do what you tell us surely we will get 100%!' For once Alan was stuck for words
Old 18th November 2008, 21:51
Active: 1970 - 2001

Gordon Kenworthy-Kneale left RTC to start up the marine dept(?) at LLandaff.We had him for EK's at RTC,but he was more involved with the new HMS Eaglet shore base at the time.
Old 20th November 2008, 04:49

Does anyone remember, Elsby and Mac taggarts college of Marine Engineering located in Upper Parliament street in Liverpool, number 11 I think it was.I studied there in 1956.
Old 23rd November 2008, 14:42

I remember a real character that taught us Maths at Poplar Tech in the late 60s, but I can't recall his name now. He was only a young bloke, but he had a Master's degree in Maths, and was currently doing a degree in Law by correspondence course ( he used to get on with it in class while we were doing the dreaded "worked examples").And in his spare time his hobby was amateur wrestling!
I also remember Commander Martin who taught us Naval Arch., who had served on the Royal Yacht and always seemed somewhat out-of-place at Poplar. He took us down to HMS Phoenix at Portsmouth, put us all in the damage control simulator and half-drowned us. I think it was his revenge for not being able to impose naval discipline on us long-haired MN louts.
Old 27th November 2008, 16:23

Birkenhead had an older gent for Heat who managed to make things simple and easily understood -name ???? Sory
Also remember a Elec-Power guy - ex boxer - huge forehead no hair and bulging eyes who made things absolutely as hard as possible. Tripped over his own desk legs one day - constantly looking and talking at the ceiling instead of us poor plebs - and he then proceeded to throw a complete strop throwing the chair and wastebin out the front window ?? 3 floors up. Lessons over for the day and retire to Rock ferry Arms for a few darts and some lager lube.
Rgds
Uisdean Mor
Old 27th November 2008, 18:10
Active: 1970 - Present

I just received a small booklet from my father, it is the Glasgow College of Nautical Studies prize giving ceremony booklet dated Friday 11th May 1973 for session 1972 - 1973, chairman Mr. J. C. Robertson, Principal. Mr. R. Marshall. It lists the various prize winners, I was lucky enough to win a 2nd prize for my 2nd year behind Peter Ridley.

That was only thanks to Sandy Smith and his numerous colleagues who taught me, insulated me and one who actually kicked my butt for messing around. How I remember him coming into our class room and reading out the various results for the guys after those numerous tests and giving each a compliment or a word of encouragement but when he called out my name it was to tell me to go out to the corridor. That was the best thing he ever did, I was really struggling and home sick but he told me I would never make it so I set out to prove him wrong. I did and years later over a few beers and after fixing his own boat I thanked him.

Who remembers wee Logan, the maths guy, uncle Shuggie with the rubber gasket material on his demob suit wrists and elbow. Mr. Elliott with a yellow VW Beetle, what was the name of the applied mechanics lecturer who played the organ at the art galleries and had good looking daughters who would bring their friends from the "do'e" school to the organ nights and the one or two disco nights we had in the hall at our college.

I received an email from somebody who is organizing a 40th reunion at GCNS in November 2009 which made me realize just how many years have passed since those days.

Does anybody remember the engineer cadets who took out the very poor 1600cc engine in the old Capri and replaced it with the new big engine from one of the arab deck cadets much newer Capri in one afternoon.

Besides the lecturers who remembers the "hot" girls in the office, mini skirts and all.

All good memories
Old 28th November 2008, 01:56

Yeah, I remember Logan - who used to whiz around the room, while teaching mathematics.
Elliot was the Engineering Drawing lecturer.
Davy Duff would have been the Phase 3 manager at that time?

Al
Old 28th November 2008, 07:54
Active: 1973 - 1991

[QUOTE=MARINEJOCKY;268708]
........... what was the name of the applied mechanics lecturer who played the organ at the art galleries and had good looking daughters who would bring their friends from the "do'e" school to the organ nights and the one or two disco nights we had in the hall at our college.........

Besides the lecturers who remembers the "hot" girls in the office, mini skirts and all.

All good memories[/QUOTE

There was an applied mechanics lecturer called Mr Barclay in Phase I and a Mr Mahon in Phase III.

And yes I do remember the mini skirts - one of the girls was called Pat can't remember the name of the other but I can remember her legs!!
Old 28th November 2008, 10:28
Wee John

My location
I dont need to try to remember the name of one girl from the office, I married her when she was in West Graham St. just before the move to the new college, so she was able to retire just after the move. She still does a wee bit typing for me but still won't tell me the answers to the questions.
Old 28th November 2008, 13:45

I wonder how many cadets went off to sea dreaming of "Pat". Was there not another girl in the office that Paul from OND married later on. I think I heard years later that they got divorced.

What was the electrical lecturer called, a wee sturdy built guy with a beard.

I can not remember the lecturers from Stowe but do remember the pies filled with old mutton and grease and a spoonful of beans at the pub around the corner. I also remember one cadet in my class standing fast asleep at the vice when he was supposedly filing a block of steel, one to many beers at lunch time.

how many of us went through the YMCA hostel on Bothwel Street while going thru' GCNS
Old 30th November 2008, 22:00

The following is copied from an email I recieved about the reunion at GCNS

Thistle Hotel, Glasgow City
Dear Friends of GCNS

We are planning a dinner dance on Sat 3 Nov 09 to celebrate the College's 40th anniversary and would like former members of staff to get in touch as well as interested students.

We hope to put together a commerative brochure to mark this special event and would love to hear from you and share any memories and or photographs you have of your time at the College.

Please get in touch with me at [email protected]

I look forward very much to hearing from you.

Ann Brannan
Marketing Manager
GCNS 21 Thistle Street, Glasgow
Tel 0141 565 2554
Old 30th November 2008, 22:10

Good God! They have a "Marketing Manager"

That's progress!

Al
Old 14th December 2008, 21:03

How many BP Tanker Men remember Gerry Betts at Llandarcy on their Instrumentation Course? And what does a Capacitor Say? "Oh for a short accross my terminals" and what do the electrons do?