HMS Queen Elizabeth - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
22:12

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Queen Elizabeth

User Tag List

Old 14th July 2019, 23:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 1983

Wasn't that the ship the the Old Man got done for using the ships hire car for personel use and he was very popular with everybody. He even paid for the petrol, so the Navy was out to get him. Perhaps this upset everybody and they are letting the press hear stuff.
If Whitehall and the FCO can leak emails then the boys can let the odd reporter know a few things and hope they get a week in drydock and shore leave.
Old 30th September 2019, 12:13
Active: 1976 - Present

Very simple answer to the 284 valves being replaced.

To reduce the amount of time the HMS Queen Elizabeth is in drydock - all the ships side valves were replaced, the removed valves will be overhauled and used on HMS Prince of Wales drydock.

The original intention was to have 3 aircraft carrier - 'smart drydocking' reduces the time the vessel is out of service.
Old 30th September 2019, 14:34

I have recently read the Battle for the Atlantic, an excellent book regarding the U boat war, we were lucky that Hitler had the obsession with big ships, rather than as Donitez wanted to build u boats to starve us.

Looking at these two aircraft carriers is this dogma still prevailing, we have two aircraft carriers nothing to fly of them, nothing to surround them for protection when they put to see.

Look at a US battlle fleet protecting there carriers when at sea.

We need frigates but all the money has gone into this big ship obsession, I am surprised there is enough nan power to actually man them to full strength.
Old 30th September 2019, 15:41
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA View Post
I have recently read the Battle for the Atlantic, an excellent book regarding the U boat war, we were lucky that Hitler had the obsession with big ships, rather than as Donitez wanted to build u boats to starve us.

Looking at these two aircraft carriers is this dogma still prevailing, we have two aircraft carriers nothing to fly of them, nothing to surround them for protection when they put to see.

Look at a US battlle fleet protecting there carriers when at sea.

We need frigates but all the money has gone into this big ship obsession, I am surprised there is enough nan power to actually man them to full strength.
There was a clip on the news the other day about the RN Fleet being vastly increased. I only caught it once, and might just have been an election ploy. I agree that we need more destroyers & frigates as we have (Or will have) all our eggs in two large baskets.
Old 30th September 2019, 19:11
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA
nothing to surround them for protection when they put to see.
That's been my feeling since I first heard of them.
Old 30th September 2019, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Forgive me for I am konfuzed.
Is the LH valve bit a belated April Fool's joke?
If so, on one hand, it has reached the stage that I don't know whether to believe it or not whilst, on the other hand, the concept seems so outrageous that it might just be true. (Too many hands doing we know not what, perhaps).
If true, who uses LH valves and for what purpose?
Just noticed your posting and don't know if anyone has answered.
The left handed stop valve - 'a very unusual thing' of much mirth in the famous rude song - was, in fact a reality.
Some valve designs required a left-hand thread to be cut in order to make a traditional right-hand valve.
There were some workshops which did not have the facilities to cut a left-hand thread so applied a right-hand thread to the valve which made it left-hand.
Old 30th September 2019, 20:59

Basil,
You didn't answer the question.
In what instances would a LH threaded valve be used, I cannot say I have ever come across one.
You always told the apprentice to ask for a ball of Whitworth thread, and make sure its right handed when you sent him to the stores.
Old 30th September 2019, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternchallis View Post
Basil,
In what instances would a LH threaded valve be used
, I cannot say I have ever come across one.
You always told the apprentice to ask for a ball of Whitworth thread, and make sure its right handed when you sent him to the stores.

OK, only if that's what you were presented with because of the manufacturing constraints which I mentioned. e.g. a gate v/v with the thread going into the gate.
VERY counter-intuitive and confusing.

p.s. in my day you sent the apprentice to stores for a long stand

Last edited by Basil; 30th September 2019 at 21:10..
Old 30th September 2019, 21:27
Active: 1973 - 2009

Non rising stem.
Old 30th September 2019, 21:42

It may have been left hand thread but you would still open and close in the normal manner, otherwise there would have been some smashed spindles and confusion.
Old 30th September 2019, 22:13

Don't know about LH V/V's, but do recall that the retaining nut on the RH rotating propeller boss was a LH thread

Will be travelling for a few days, looks like I'm in for a lot of wet weather driving, always found at sea that the Kent Clearview rotating screen was better than windscreen wipers. Wonder if the Kent on a car would be legal!

Last edited by seaman38; 30th September 2019 at 22:17..
Old 30th September 2019, 22:15
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilJiver View Post
Non rising stem.
I have nightmares about one such valve ! Trouble I was awake when it happened !
Old 30th September 2019, 22:54
Active: 1976 - Present

We have quality vs quantity. The type 45 is renown for having the best air defence system in the world. The US battle groups will ask a type 45 to take over air defence duties when up the Gulf.

The F35 planes fly & land and time is needed for military electronic information to be shared between the plane, astute submarine, type 45 and aircraft carrier - this electronic information sharing gives a world leading defence force.
The battle group also consist of a couple of new MARs takers, Fort Victoria as solid support and new type 26 frigates under construction.
The astute submarine is a formidable deterrent combined with type 45 gives good protection to the carrier
Old 30th September 2019, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
I have nightmares about one such valve ! Trouble I was awake when it happened !
They say, 2 of Sand and 1 of Cement will cure it.
Old 1st October 2019, 10:36

Quote:
Basil,
In what instances would a LH threaded valve be used, I cannot say I have ever come across one.
Gas cylinders containing a flammable gas are always fitted with left hand threaded valve outlets. Indentified by a notch cut in the hexagonal
connecting nut.
Old 1st October 2019, 10:51
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Gas cylinders containing a flammable gas are always fitted with left hand threaded valve outlets. Indentified by a notch cut in the hexagonal
connecting nut.
But the cylinder valves are still right handed.

(Somewhere and I can't for the life of me remember where I came across pipe couplings that were right handed on one end and left handed on the other so the same direction tightened and loosened both fittings)

The regulator you turn clockwise to increase pressure though.

At the back of my mind I think some of the deck valves on BP's "River Class" were left handed (anticlockwise to shut)

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 1st October 2019, 14:34
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
They say, 2 of Sand and 1 of Cement will cure it.
Not this time ! It was the main condenser overboard valve. The nut holding the spindle in the motorised unit fell off ! the spindle dropped down and the valve slammed shut, followed by a large jet of water spraying into the engineroom. To make matters worse we were loading at Juyamah, Saudi Arabia at the time and we had to be towed off the loading Bouy

Last edited by stevekelly10; 1st October 2019 at 18:42..
Old 1st October 2019, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
connecting nut.
A friend damaged the skin on his hand because, when he picked up a gas cylinder by the valve, he didn't notice that it wasn't fully closed and the expanding gas had lowered the v/v temp to substantially below freezing.
Fortunately the frostbite damage wasn't too deep and eventually healed up OK.
Old 1st October 2019, 18:45

Those LH threads are so you don't fit the regulators on the wrong bottle as we all know. Prop nuts and similar accepted, but I was thinking in terms of valves you turned the opposite to convention to close.
Old 1st October 2019, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
A friend damaged the skin on his hand because, when he picked up a gas cylinder by the valve, he didn't notice that it wasn't fully closed and the expanding gas had lowered the v/v temp to substantially below freezing.
Fortunately the frostbite damage wasn't too deep and eventually healed up OK.
I once delivered 25 compressed air cylinders to Manchester Airport cargo facility for shipment to Sharjah. They were all fully pressurised to 300 bar. The receiving clerk at the cargo facility wouldn't accept them pressurised and told me to discharge the air from them. They were stacked in a small warehouse building ready for shipment, and I opened all the valves to release the contents, then opened the double doors. It was cold and wet outside so the cargo superintendant closed the doors and told me to go. I said, well you better get some barley sugar to suck and use gloves to handle the cylinders because there will be an almighty increase in air pressure in here and those cyls will be freezing.
That was met with condescending laughter and a shooing motion.
I got my paperwork signed and scarpered.
Experts !
Old 2nd October 2019, 01:11

In K-Mart years ago when, amongst all the other stuff, they sold car batteries. I had bought a battery and lifted it from the trolley to the check out for the young bird to scan it.

It didn't scan for some reason so, in a flash of light, bird tips it over presumably looking for a bar-code on the bottom. It wasn't one of those sealed types so acid starts to run out on the bench. By this time I had realised what she was doing and about to do so was able to stop her. She had grabbed a plastic grocery type carry bag and was about to launch into the acid with it.

Thankfully, there was a heap of water bottles on a stand nearby from which I grabbed one and poured it onto the spill.

No they didn't teach kids anything in schools then either.
Old 2nd October 2019, 06:22
Active: 1969 - Present

Japanese Niigata marine engines have a left-handed valve just below the fuel lever for the local air start control and blowing over. Works fine, ONCE YOU KNOW it is left-handed!!