J & J Denholm - Ships Nostalgia
19:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J & J Denholm

User Tag List

Old 28th September 2005, 20:13
Administrator

My location
J & J Denholm

Can't remember who requested this one, but here it is.

Regards

Steve
Old 28th September 2005, 20:36

A great company,full of Scots!!!!!! Look forward to seeing the Forum filling up.
Old 29th September 2005, 09:30
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
J & J Denholm

Steve,

Thank you. I'm sure us ex "Diamond D" guys will fill it up!

If I put a message in the following threads advising members of the new forum, could you tranfer them over to the new location in a couple of days?

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2874

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=1210
Old 8th June 2007, 11:49

I don't think that I was? A Scot I mean, neither was the Old Man (English), nor the 3/0 (Irish), nor the sparky (Irish), nor the Chief (English), on the other hand, that was only the first trip, on the "Friendly Carrier", OBO, later 1980's.
I only did 2 trips with them, and the second was on the "Kona", what a complete piece of s... she was! British shipbuilding at its worst!
Old 10th October 2007, 19:47

My location
I havent sailed under Denholms but ive posted a couple of pics of Tor Hollandia and some are coming of Tor Mercia ,i have also in my possesion a couple of Denholm news from autumn 1970 and winter 1970 if these are of interest to anybody ,there is a ship profile of the Naess Endevour and crew listings etc..
Cheers Lex
Old 15th October 2007, 20:03
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1996

Not a Denholms guy and will never forgive you guys for unloading the Baknes and the Binsnes on to us i n Silver Line. What did we ever do do to deserve such an abhoration. Could'nt close the E/R sky-lights because of the fumes. The Flue discharged a thick black plume on a 'good' day, and the emmissions from the E/R skylights was almost as black. The derricks (cranes, and I use that term very loosely) could not lift a dancing girls skirt in Mombasa. The main engines!!!! There is reputedly a ward in Broadmoor filled with engineers from these ships. Come you Denholm guys, what did we Silver Liners do to deserve such hardships. They, the two abominations became the the Silvertweed and the Silverclyde. If they ran for 24 Hrs non stop, the engineers\ went on the p**s. It was a sober voyage.
Ccurtis1, A Silver Liner
Old 16th October 2007, 08:19

My location
My heart bleeds for you Ccurtis1. Did 8 months on the Baknes in 1972.
You must admit that the accomodation was very good , even the 2nd.mate
had his own seperate bedroom !!. Seriously , they were all that great. I have
memories of very frequent stops at sea , main engines being run in port.
We did a self discharge of cement klinker in Savannah using the Velle's with
grabs which took 3 weeks. Lots of nervous tension on the Panama Canal
transits hoping main engines and Kamewa would last until the other side.
Don't remember any pangs of regret when sho left Denholm's management.
Old 16th October 2007, 17:13
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1996

Baknes/Binsnes. Silver Line made 1 great change to these monstrocities, by dumping the Wretched Paxman Generators replacing them with Allens. We too tried to discharge fertiliser in Karachi using the 'cranes' and with the grabs attached and trying to hoist the 'crane' arm began descending. Starting the main engines was something of a performance too. Enough air for one attempt only and every engineer manually pushing the fuel pumps to maximum. The noise emitting from the reluctant engine was awe inspiring and the engineers on the pumps, reckoned that adrenaline was brown coloured. If the engine started, and that wasn't a foregone conclusion, then we 'bump' started the other engine. Bump starting necessitated clutching in the idle ngine to the runner and putting the fuel on. Once both engines were running, we started a lub oil replenishing pump which pumped lub oil from a D/B storage tank into both engines.One of the diesel bunker tanks was converted to carry lub oil. I think if memory serves correctly we used 6o gallons per watch. No boilers. All heating electrical. Death alley between the main engines was a terrifying place. Aye, the good old days?
Old 16th November 2007, 18:07

In the late 50's and early 60's I sailed as AB in Gleddoch, Arisaig, Clarkeden and Clarkavon, they were regular visitors to here in Port Talbot in those days along with Ormsary, Morar, Crinan, Craigallian, Wellpark and Naess Trader, the Management Company was called Scottish Ore Carriers, the two Clark ships were owned by Clarksons of London who also had a cargo ship managed by Denholm called Clarkspey, if my memory serves me right Clarkspey had at one time a long term charter to Port Line and was renamed Port Campbell for the duration of the charter.
Calm Seas to you All
Ray Jones
Old 20th November 2007, 12:53

Hello Raz!

I too sailed on most of these . First as an apprentice (Ormsary, 1953) and later as 3rd. and 2nd. Mate. Hated cleaning out those bloody holds and getting all the muck out of the channels before closeing the hatches as well as using those weird 'tools' to turn the wheels and raise the hatch covers for closing. Happy days! All the best.

Jim C.
Old 26th November 2007, 21:01
Organisation: Coasters
Active: 1956 - 2000

My location
Nobody remember the Morven?? what a Sh## Heap sailed as leckie on B articles made more money in O/T than wages. Capt McDonald, Ch Eng'rs Semple,& Fleck who I think came to a sad end, anybody know the story?
Kenny Grier Jnr Eng think he became Eng Super, not one of the happiest years of my life after the RN.

Vic S.
Old 27th November 2007, 23:39

My location
Morven

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickentallen View Post
Nobody remember the Morven?? what a Sh## Heap sailed as leckie on B articles made more money in O/T than wages. Capt McDonald, Ch Eng'rs Semple,& Fleck who I think came to a sad end, anybody know the story?
Kenny Grier Jnr Eng think he became Eng Super, not one of the happiest years of my life after the RN.

Vic S.
Yes, I remember her well, regular runner Chile/Japan, and Denholm's first ore/oiler, though the oil part was only used once I believe.

Built in Monfalcone for some American chemical company (Olin Matheson?) and intended to run from Guyana to the USA, but I don't think ever did.

Which MacDonald?

I sailed with 'Fingers' Fleck, and yes he died early, though I can't remember why.

Kenny Greer was indeed a Denholm Super, and I think went on to finish his time in Acomarit or Northern Marine.
Old 28th November 2007, 20:56

My location
Mv Morven

Hi Mac,
this epistle could be a cathartic experience for me I still wake up sweating to the sounds of B&Ws grinding to a halt, literally grinding (saltwater contamination of the lub oil) bucketting white metal out the crankcase bottom.However enough of my problems. As far as I can remember
the old man was A.J. Macdonald, nice guy, but I was never on first name terms. Fingers Fleck got his Yamaha Organ as a "presento" from Mitsobishie Yard (excuse spelling) Yokohama for clearing Japans national dept single handed...Mate was JD Farley, 2/O Bert Frater(wound up as harbourmaster Stornoway) 3/0 Lenny Bell, other engineers were 2/eng RA Steven(Orcadian very kind to a poor lost ex RN Leckie) 3/eng Jimmy Gannon(Clydebank, previously on Morar & was still shaking) 3/eng R Hanlan 4/eng JR Clark Jnr/engs K Greer (cream of the crop) J Morrison (Ginge ex NB Loco) & W McDonald. I have to admit to an aid memoir of my last surviving copy of Denholm News.
As far as I can remember she was built by Cantiarra Navalie Triest who went bust before completion, lots of bits and pieces still lying about still to be fitted. ( owner Ollafson ??The trip started badly flying out to SA From Renfrew by the dreaded
Martin air charter (Dutch?) loosing an engine going over the Sahara forced landing in the Belgian Congo (where the "crowd" started throwing stale cheese rolls at the Belgian Special Forces) new engine flown up from SA and so we limped down to Jo'burg where for 3 or 4 days they tried to get the plane airbourne with us all in it! It got so bad that every time we were called to board Pathy News camera crews were on the airport balcony awaiting the imminant disaster. Eventually sense prevailed and the powers that be sent us down to PE to join the ship by Springbok airlines. Subsequently heard the Italian crew, that we releaved, mutinied about there return trip with Martins!! Enough stress for now Vic S..
Old 28th November 2007, 21:01

My location
Morven

Hi Mac flash of insperation old mans first name Angus..
Old 28th November 2007, 22:43
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990

Quote:
Hi Mac,
this epistle could be a cathartic experience for me I still wake up sweating to the sounds of B&Ws grinding to a halt, literally grinding (saltwater contamination of the lub oil) bucketting white metal out the crankcase bottom.However enough of my problems. As far as I can remember
the old man was A.J. Macdonald, nice guy, but I was never on first name terms. Fingers Fleck got his Yamaha Organ as a "presento" from Mitsobishie Yard (excuse spelling) Yokohama for clearing Japans national dept single handed...Mate was JD Farley, 2/O Bert Frater(wound up as harbourmaster Stornoway) 3/0 Lenny Bell, other engineers were 2/eng RA Steven(Orcadian very kind to a poor lost ex RN Leckie) 3/eng Jimmy Gannon(Clydebank, previously on Morar & was still shaking) 3/eng R Hanlan 4/eng JR Clark Jnr/engs K Greer (cream of the crop) J Morrison (Ginge ex NB Loco) & W McDonald. I have to admit to an aid memoir of my last surviving copy of Denholm News.
As far as I can remember she was built by Cantiarra Navalie Triest who went bust before completion, lots of bits and pieces still lying about still to be fitted. ( owner Ollafson ??The trip started badly flying out to SA From Renfrew by the dreaded
Martin air charter (Dutch?) loosing an engine going over the Sahara forced landing in the Belgian Congo (where the "crowd" started throwing stale cheese rolls at the Belgian Special Forces) new engine flown up from SA and so we limped down to Jo'burg where for 3 or 4 days they tried to get the plane airbourne with us all in it! It got so bad that every time we were called to board Pathy News camera crews were on the airport balcony awaiting the imminant disaster. Eventually sense prevailed and the powers that be sent us down to PE to join the ship by Springbok airlines. Subsequently heard the Italian crew, that we releaved, mutinied about there return trip with Martins!! Enough stress for now Vic S..
old man angus john macdonald from isle of mcgee eric baily from manchester told me the exact same story he was with you on that flight regards kev.
Old 3rd December 2007, 21:14

My location
A J Mcdonald

cheers Kev thats the man very pleasant gent never heard of him again after the Morven. Vic..
Old 3rd December 2007, 21:21

My location
on from last

Eric Bailey was he a young seaman in 64 I kind of remember him. Most of the sailors were from Greenock and Barrachs the black gang were all Arabs from
Tiger Bay ?? Sarang was a Somallie of whom they were all sh*t scared.

Regards Vic...
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:06

Quote:
Eric Bailey was he a young seaman in 64 I kind of remember him. Most of the sailors were from Greenock and Barrachs the black gang were all Arabs from
Tiger Bay ?? Sarang was a Somallie of whom they were all sh*t scared.

Regards Vic...
yes he was young in those days just like you and i but not anymore and yes there was a few barrachs on there was the boson not from there gillies regards kev.
Old 5th December 2007, 20:50

My location
morven

thought the bosun was Mcneil with his cousin as deputy vic.
Old 6th December 2007, 19:43

Quote:
thought the bosun was Mcneil with his cousin as deputy vic.
could have been i know old sati gillies was bosun on her for a long time regards kev.
Old 10th December 2007, 20:29

Diamond D ships

Broompark on trials 1959

Last edited by JimC; 23rd September 2008 at 16:45..
Old 10th December 2007, 20:32

Clarkeden on trials off S. Shield. in 1959

Old 10th December 2007, 20:37

Yet more ships

Naes Sovereign report in Llyods List. Sen alongside fitting-out berth at Mitsubishi, Japan.

Old 10th December 2007, 20:44

ships again!

Scotstoun on trials in the firth of Clyde in 1954. Young sister of the 'Norscot'. Parents were Charlie Connell and two bottles of champagne!

Old 10th December 2007, 20:49

Back in the good old days!

Excerpt fro a page of Lloyds Register in 1961. How many of these yards still build ships???