Ship's Bell - Ships Nostalgia
18:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ship's Bell

User Tag List

Old 18th December 2009, 05:19

Ship's Bell

I'm looking for information regarding the bell in the attached photo. It was supposedly recovered from the Boyd which was destroyed in Whangaroa Harbour, New Zealand in 1809. I'm wondering if anyone recognises what the crest/emblem may represent. There is no other name, date etc on the bell. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crest.jpg (94.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:28

Send a photo of the bell, with dimensions, together with the close up of the logo, to the company which manufactured Big Ben in Whitechapel, London. I haven't looked for them myself but a search on Google should find them. I took an unmarked bell to them some years ago and they identified the country of origin and a date range, which might help you. You might be lucky, if you ask them nicely.

Dave W
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:03

OAB,

Its the WHITECHAPEL BELL FOUNDRY LIMITED
32/34 Whitechapel Road,
London E1 1DY,
UK.
Phone: 020 7247 2599
Fax: 020 7375 1979

E Mail address :- [email protected]

Chris.
Old 26th December 2009, 21:59

Thanks for the replies. I had sent a message to Whitechapel foundry but they didn't recognise it. However I did get a reply from bellhistorians.org.uk and it turns out to be made by James Barwell of Birmingham who made church bells. Much later than 1809 so not from the Boyd at all even a church bell in transit.
Thanks again
Mike