Xmas Memories - Ships Nostalgia
03:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Xmas Memories

User Tag List

Old 21st December 2009, 19:48

Xmas Memories

The years fly by, 40 years have passed since my first Xmas spent aboard m.v Cardiff City( Reardon Smith Line) ) berthed at Stockton , approx 10 hours up river from San Francisco.
We walked in the snow for what seemed a 1/2 hour to reach something that resembled a large wooden hut and waiting inside for us were all the local hustlers, pool cues at the ready.
Can anyone beat this for excitement or did you come away winning?
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:53

My location
Was on United Baltics Vanguard, along side in Helsinki one christmass when the first mate decided to take a fire axe to one of the crew, but but hit the wrong bunk, slept with my door locked that night
Old 24th December 2009, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekie View Post
The years fly by, 40 years have passed since my first Xmas spent aboard m.v Cardiff City( Reardon Smith Line) ) berthed at Stockton , approx 10 hours up river from San Francisco.
We walked in the snow for what seemed a 1/2 hour to reach something that resembled a large wooden hut and waiting inside for us were all the local hustlers, pool cues at the ready.
Can anyone beat this for excitement or did you come away winning?
Hi Lekie
Many happy memories of Stockton. Loaded timber for Japan on M/V Duffield for about 10 months. Early 60s. Lovely people made us very welcome. Happy days.
Duffield
Old 27th November 2012, 10:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1967 - 1986

Hustlers were also ships

The 'Hustler' was a class of small container ship run by amongst others Ellerman Papayani of Liverpool. I count myself fortunate that for 3 years I sailed with some of the best story tellers of their generation an hilarious antidote to the conditions aboard one of Ellerman's submarines, particularly in bad weather.
Old 27th November 2012, 12:51
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

My one and only Xmas at sea (first trip) I was on a P&O passenger ship, it still amazes me how that ship managed to sail that day, must have had auto pilot on everything,all the engineers were pi**** out of there minds, one lad went on the dance deck and tossed any empty chairs either overboard or into the next table and punched a drunken passenger the lad was despatched home at next port.
Old 5th December 2012, 01:39

My location
Spent Xmas Eve, Xmas morning 1971 in the company of a local lady at her home (shack) in Tamatave, Madagascar before heading back to ship for Xmas lunch.
Old 5th December 2012, 01:54

Did you take her back and give her your drumstick, Dave?

John T
Old 11th December 2012, 01:34

My location
Visited the "shack" a few times during my stay in Tamatave John.
Old 11th December 2012, 02:02

I've heard the song, Dave:

"There's a track winding back to an old fashioned shack, along the road to Tamatave ..."

I bet you thought all your Christmases had come at once, as they say. I know I would have. Nice work.

John T
Old 11th December 2012, 02:33
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Just had a look at my apps. journal,first trip, Thursday Dec.25th 1969 at King George dock,Calcutta and it says ''Continued disharge(grain)with contract labour and shore cranes''.
I know I had a great day and did no work that I can recall but was hardly likely to put that in the journal!
Two years later I was back in Calcutta for Christmas..splendid port.
Old 11th December 2012, 05:09
KIWI
Active: 1949 - 1955

My location
My first Xmas at sea was on a Norwegian tramp discharging lumber in Sydney.The meal was as good as any P&O Xmas Dinner I had in later years but was served Xmas Eve rather than Xmas Day.Ships officers dined at mid day & then took on serving in the crews mess.A memorable experience. KIWI
Old 11th December 2012, 08:28
Department: Navigation
Active: 1977 - 1988

My first Xmas was on the Strathconon. Seem to remember a good time, but as homesick as hell. I'd only been away from the busom of my family for a few weeks and was a sweet seventeen (VERY dim and distant past).
Old 11th December 2012, 11:25

My location
Commented elsewhere on the SN forum. Berthed in Vizagapatnam on Christmas day '64 on Brocklebank's SS Malakand. After an excellent Christmas lunch and a few drops of good cheer, it seemed like a good idea to visit the Russian ship berthed on the other side of the quay and spread a little international Christmas spirit.
We were met at the top of the gangway by a Rusian wielding what looked like a sub-machine gun and making "go away" gestures. we had a lucky escape because the smell of sweaty unwashed humanity emanating from the accommodation block would have killed an elephant from 100 yards downwind.
By unanamimous consent we returned to Malakand and continued the Christmas celebrations.

Happy days,

gwzm
Old 11th December 2012, 15:59

I found Christmas aboard whether at sea or alongside fine until some bright spark said:
'I wonder what they are doing at home now?'