London nautical school - Woolverstone - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
08:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

London nautical school - Woolverstone

User Tag List

Old 9th February 2012, 11:11

Capt.Johannsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Interesting - I remember him fondly...

There was a Norwegian Nav teacher called Johannsson. I still have my reports, and one in particular, where he wrote the great slogan " This boy has more enthusiasm than natural ability " !

I'm still getting over it. He did steer me through ' O ' level Navigation, though. Always remember the ' O ' level seamanship, where we had to sail, row, and scull the big heavy whalers down on the Orwell. ( The paper was set by Pangbourne College, if I remember correctly)
Excuse the intrusion onto your thread but there was a Capt. Johannsen at KEVII in '53 when I was there, who also had a good line in reports.When I laid out a fellow crewmember when shipping an oar he reported,"Better in charge of a boat than an oar!"I wonder, was it the same Capt.Johannsen?
Old 9th February 2012, 12:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Johannson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Excuse the intrusion onto your thread but there was a Capt. Johannsen at KEVII in '53 when I was there, who also had a good line in reports.When I laid out a fellow crewmember when shipping an oar he reported,"Better in charge of a boat than an oar!"I wonder, was it the same Capt.Johannsen?
Hallo Joe,

Could well be the same bloke, as presumably the job at Woolverstone disappeared when they dropped the Nautical theme in 1951.

Even after all these years, I still have an image of him and he was not very tall - maybe about 5'9" or so ?? Trim built, as opposed to some of the lecturers!
Old 9th February 2012, 12:13

My location
Woolverstone teachers/lecturers

I can recall a couple.........

Grout (Geography) - A huge bloke with 'club like' hands which he liked to use to cuff us round the head, frequently. ( Not allowed today, of course)

Lidster - Maths, and a bit of a tyrant in my book.

The Head ( name escapes me) appeared some 15 years later on the bridge of the ferry I was on - bombing along in the dark, and he came up the bridge ladder, a bit worse for wear. After a few minutes we had established our common time spent at Woolverstone, and then I had to get him removed as he was draped over the auto pilot.
Old 9th February 2012, 22:54
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:

Grout (Geography) - A huge bloke with 'club like' hands which he liked to use to cuff us round the head, frequently. ( Not allowed today, of course)

The Head ( name escapes me) appeared some 15 years later on the bridge of the ferry I was on - bombing along in the dark, and he came up the bridge ladder, a bit worse for wear. After a few minutes we had established our common time spent at Woolverstone, and then I had to get him removed as he was draped over the auto pilot.
Was that the same maths teacher who used to throw the blackboard wooden duster at anyone he perceived not to being attentive.

jim
Old 10th February 2012, 02:53
Active: 1955 - 1986

Quote:

I remember Crout used to whack peoples desk with the rolled up wall maps if they weren't paying attention and I have known he chase a boy up the stairs walloping him with a golf club for forgetting his Geography books.(O happy days)He also was a bit fanatical about eating fish and woe betide any boy that left any on their plate.
Old 10th February 2012, 09:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newfie View Post
I remember Crout used to whack peoples desk with the rolled up wall maps if they weren't paying attention and I have known he chase a boy up the stairs walloping him with a golf club for forgetting his Geography books.(O happy days)He also was a bit fanatical about eating fish and woe betide any boy that left any on their plate.
Can recall the woodwork bloke, called Young, and still have an oak stool that I made under his guidance.

Must have been 1950 or 1951 I was in the crew of his yacht when he entered the Harwich Regatta, and we were supposed to race 3 times around the SUNK light vessel ( in those days). Anyway, it got very rough, and the organisers shortened the course to twice round before calling it off. We fell foul of the old wreck outside of the entrance - believe the patch of shoals was called ' The rolling Stones ' ( Jim?) and there was a mast sticking up with shell holes in it. Mr Young's wife was spotted praying on her knees in the cabin! but being boys we thought it was all great fun.

The sequel was that when we finally got back up the Orwell to our moorings, and dug into beans on toast, he later discovered we had won the shortened course, and Young was presented with a cup.

Did he stay on, I wonder?
Old 10th February 2012, 14:54

Quote:

Crikey! What an example!
Old 10th February 2012, 15:56
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Can recall the woodwork bloke, called Young, and still have an oak stool that I made under his guidance.

Must have been 1950 or 1951 I was in the crew of his yacht when he entered the Harwich Regatta, and we were supposed to race 3 times around the SUNK light vessel ( in those days). Anyway, it got very rough, and the organisers shortened the course to twice round before calling it off. We fell foul of the old wreck outside of the entrance - believe the patch of shoals was called ' The rolling Stones ' ( Jim?) and there was a mast sticking up with shell holes in it. Mr Young's wife was spotted praying on her knees in the cabin! but being boys we thought it was all great fun.

The sequel was that when we finally got back up the Orwell to our moorings, and dug into beans on toast, he later discovered we had won the shortened course, and Young was presented with a cup.

Did he stay on, I wonder?
Alan,
are you thinking of the rolling banks just east of the beach end?/

jim
Old 10th February 2012, 16:09

My location
approaches to Harwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
Alan,
are you thinking of the rolling banks just east of the beach end?/

jim
Jim,

That's the place. There used to be a wreck there, with a mast sticking up, back in the 50's - but later removed. Also, the lightship (Sunk?) was also replaced, I think.
Old 11th February 2012, 02:26

Jim:
On another forum you mentioned getting a chit for kitting out at Monnerys,I to received the same chit and was told there was a fund for boys who entered the Merchant Navy which even carried over after LNS was finished.It included No.1 uniform,battledress,working gear,heavy weather gear and a No.10 uniform(which never saw the light of day.)E#verything a seagoing Apprentice needed.
Old 11th February 2012, 08:06

My location
Quote:
Jim,

That's the place. There used to be a wreck there, with a mast sticking up, back in the 50's - but later removed. Also, the lightship (Sunk?) was also replaced, I think.
The lightship we raced round was the ' Cork Lightship '
Old 12th February 2012, 02:40

There is an ex Marconi/Bank line sparks who was also at Woolverstone named David Harrington.Don't know if you know him?
Old 12th February 2012, 12:16

My location
Quote:
There is an ex Marconi/Bank line sparks who was also at Woolverstone named David Harrington.Don't know if you know him?
Don't recall him. The Woolverstone boys that I know went into Bankline were:-

(Mick) Mann- back in 1949
Weston - around 1950
Brian Lucy - Not sure. Brian says he was in 12 Dorm when I was there, but I don't recall it, so this is a complete mystery to me. Does anyone remember him at Woolverstone?
Jim - 1952

I left in 1951 to join the Forthbank.

I'm sure there were many more.

In my time, Mason went to Union Castle, and Wesson went to BP tankers.
Old 12th February 2012, 12:43
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Member oldmarconiman

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 16th February 2012, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Member oldmarconiman
Hi Ron, spot on! Went to Woolverstone along with "2newfie" - you running incognito these days Brian? "You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" - LOL!

Woolverstone Hall Boarding School for Boys, as it was to be known, opened on a trial basis in Sept 1950 and was officially opened the following year, but for that first year we shared the establishment with the remaining members of LNS Woolverstone - complete with buglers and nissan huts!

A prior posting named Taffy Edwards as PE Master, he was of course Taffy Evans, long since departed.

Matt Mathews was a great old character. He signed my autograph book with the quote - "Steer by your own compass!" which I surely did, sometimes through some pretty rough and murky seas though Matt.

I have mentioned it before but my time as an R.O. on the Eskbank and old liberty Corabank are recorded on my web site http://www.oldmarconiman.co.uk should anyone be interested. Both under Captain Sam Withers. Good ships and good memories of both.

Last edited by oldmarconiman; 16th February 2012 at 10:04..
Old 16th February 2012, 15:58

My location
Mathews

Another Mathews story.............

He would occasionally ' lose it ' good time, and I can still see him standing between the 2 dining rooms where everyone could see him, and screaming " Your're just like chickens - you s--- and you jump in it! " This was after we had all been throwing cake around between the tables.
Old 16th February 2012, 16:08

My location
log book

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmarconiman View Post
Hi Ron, spot on! Went to Woolverstone along with "2newfie" - you running incognito these days Brian? "You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" - LOL!

Woolverstone Hall Boarding School for Boys, as it was to be known, opened on a trial basis in Sept 1950 and was officially opened the following year, but for that first year we shared the establishment with the remaining members of LNS Woolverstone - complete with buglers and nissan huts!

A prior posting named Taffy Edwards as PE Master, he was of course Taffy Evans, long since departed.

Matt Mathews was a great old character. He signed my autograph book with the quote - "Steer by your own compass!" which I surely did, sometimes through some pretty rough and murky seas though Matt.

I have mentioned it before but my time as an R.O. on the Eskbank and old liberty Corabank are recorded on my web site http://www.oldmarconiman.co.uk should anyone be interested. Both under Captain Sam Withers. Good ships and good memories of both.
Just to mention I enjoyed your website and ' log book ' esp. the pictures of The Samfleet launching.
Old 16th February 2012, 17:31
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Don't recall him. The Woolverstone boys that I know went into Bankline were:-

(Mick) Mann- back in 1949
Weston - around 1950
Brian Lucy - Not sure. Brian says he was in 12 Dorm when I was there, but I don't recall it, so this is a complete mystery to me. Does anyone remember him at Woolverstone?
Jim - 1952

I left in 1951 to join the Forthbank.

I'm sure there were many more.

In my time, Mason went to Union Castle, and Wesson went to BP tankers.
cant remember Brian Lucy,but does anyone know pis phone number/cos if he was still at the school when we went into civvies then he is in my copy of the school photo..OCT 1951.
Old 17th February 2012, 15:47

My location
old boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
cant remember Brian Lucy,but does anyone know pis phone number/cos if he was still at the school when we went into civvies then he is in my copy of the school photo..OCT 1951.

Hi Jim,

Don't know Lucy's number, but when I was talking to him some years ago, he mentioned a tragic incident when a boy apparantly died in the tuck shop. Certainly didn't happen betwee 48 and 51 to my knowledge. Any ideas?
Old 17th February 2012, 17:06

Quote:
Just to mention I enjoyed your website and ' log book ' esp. the pictures of The Samfleet launching.
I was very chuffed to receive those photographs of that launching and permission from Mike Drydens' Grandmother to use them on the web site. Bit of real history.
Old 1st March 2012, 10:46
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Electrician
Active: 1950 - 1955

My name is ron vizard, and I was one of the tiresome 11 year olds in 1950, and I stayed on till 1955. There is an active WHOBA site.
There was some discussion as to the history of the LNS.
To my knowledge it is briefly as follows.\
London Poor Law districts buy the hulk Goliath from the Admiralty in 1870.
It burns down in 1875.
Admiralty donates Exmouth in 1877.
Declared unseawothy in 1905.
Exmouth ll built by Metropolitan Asylum Board; purpose built.
LCC takes over from Asylum Board.
School goes shore based at Burnham on Croach in 1939.
Exmouth acquired by admiralty for service in Scapa Flow in 1942.
School moves to Lydney Glouc. in 1942.
School moves to Bray in 194?
To Woolverstone 1947?
LNS closes 1951, Boarding school opens.
School closed 1992.

The LNS in Stamford St. shared a governing body with LNSW. There is still some Exmouth paraphernalia there. They used Exmouth for training in the summer holidays pre war.

I was in Forecastle.
Hope this was of use.

Last edited by ron vizard; 1st March 2012 at 12:46.. Reason: spelling
Old 1st March 2012, 16:32
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron vizard View Post
My name is ron vizard, and I was one of the tiresome 11 year olds in 1950, and I stayed on till 1955. There is an active WHOBA site.
There was some discussion as to the history of the LNS.
To my knowledge it is briefly as follows.\
London Poor Law districts buy the hulk Goliath from the Admiralty in 1870.
It burns down in 1875.
Admiralty donates Exmouth in 1877.
Declared unseawothy in 1905.
Exmouth ll built by Metropolitan Asylum Board; purpose built.
LCC takes over from Asylum Board.
School goes shore based at Burnham on Croach in 1939.
Exmouth acquired by admiralty for service in Scapa Flow in 1942.
School moves to Lydney Glouc. in 1942.
School moves to Bray in 194?
To Woolverstone 1947?
LNS closes 1951, Boarding school opens.
School closed 1992.

The LNS in Stamford St. shared a governing body with LNSW. There is still some Exmouth paraphernalia there. They used Exmouth for training in the summer holidays pre war.

I was in Forecastle.
Hope this was of use.
Hi Ron,I to was in forecastle,no 1 dorm and was a buglar I left in summer 52 so we must have known each other I also have the school photo taken in Oct 51 so you must be standing proud somewhere,
did you go to sea,

jim(haggis)
Old 1st March 2012, 19:44
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Electrician
Active: 1950 - 1955

Hello Jim

Were you Jim Ferrier?.

No, I didn't go to sea; I burst my eardrum whilst at WH, and I didn't realise how badly till after I started an apprenticeship, hated it, went to join a special entry to the RN with ONC, signed on for 12years with an option for 18, only to fail the medical.

You must of known Ray Boulding. He has just got in touch with the WHOBA site; I have, I hope, steered him to this. I am on that 1951 photo. I'll have to sort it out. (Just looked; I'm back row, third from right looking at photo., David Harrington is to my right.

You could try
www.whs-photo-archive.net/
Go to Life at WHS, then look at WHS Archive Photos, there's a list of year photos, plus some early pics I sent in.

Last edited by ron vizard; 1st March 2012 at 22:06..
Old 1st March 2012, 23:08
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron vizard View Post
Hello Jim

Were you Jim Ferrier?.

No, I didn't go to sea; I burst my eardrum whilst at WH, and I didn't realise how badly till after I started an apprenticeship, hated it, went to join a special entry to the RN with ONC, signed on for 12years with an option for 18, only to fail the medical.

You must of known Ray Boulding. He has just got in touch with the WHOBA site; I have, I hope, steered him to this. I am on that 1951 photo. I'll have to sort it out. (Just looked; I'm back row, third from right looking at photo., David Harrington is to my right.

You could try
www.whs-photo-archive.net/
Go to Life at WHS, then look at WHS Archive Photos, there's a list of year photos, plus some early pics I sent in.
Hi Ron, thats me jim ferrier,second back row 14 from left,yes Ray boulding rings a bell will look up your site.
regards
jim
Old 27th March 2012, 16:10
ELDER MEMBER

facebook have just informed me that there a group of chaps on there who were at woolverstone,now i am pretty useless at operating that site so maybe someone can get on there and point them in this direction.

jim