Plymouth Nautical College .. Portland Place - Ships Nostalgia
04:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Plymouth Nautical College .. Portland Place

User Tag List

Old 17th August 2011, 13:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Plymouth Nautical College .. Portland Place

Anyone else down at Plymouth from 1970 onwards, BP or otherwise?

Days of Bill Currie as head warden; Chiefy Tozer for signals, flag break on the teaching block roof and drill on Saturday mornings; Mr Lester for GSK; Seamanship with Mr Mitchell & Captain Hyde at the Seamanship Centre down at Cattedown; Fire Courses at Ernesettle fire station ... the list goes on!

Many other Deck Cadets there from Shell, Reardon Smith, Blue Star, RFA, New Zealand Shipping .. plus a lot of Engineer cadets too.

Sparkies also did their Radio Courses at Plymouth Poly.

After the Induction Course at the main residential building (paid for by Shell), Phase 2 was spent either there again or in Merrifield Hall or Standard House.

Happy days, even though we had to wear uniform during the day, including all visits into the City Centre!

Last edited by derekhore; 17th August 2011 at 16:29..
Old 20th August 2011, 10:19

My location
Did my all my tickets in Plymouth College (as it was then) finishing in 1974. I remember Chiefy Tozer well but I can also remember Capt Day (Planetarium) and Capt Fifield who was my saviour with his Formulae for splitting "B". I've forgotten it now (ravages of time) but it was bl**dy handy) cheers........pete
Old 20th August 2011, 11:22

'Splitting B'? Now you've ruined my Saturday!!
Old 18th September 2011, 17:36

My location
Don't recall a Capt Fifield ... but Capt Day and the Planetarium, along with the Plymouth city skyline I remember well!

A quick pint at the James Street Vaults (still there) just behind the residential block .. or a trip down to the Goodies (Good Companions) in Drakes Circus, which has now gone.
Also the Unity by the multi-storey car park .. and a trip down Union Street on a Friday night to see the MP's deal with drunken matelots at closing time!
Old 27th September 2011, 16:08

Phase I in 1971, Phase III in1974 in Standard House with Warden Pop Howard.... happy days
Old 27th September 2011, 16:15

My location
Good old Pop Howard, would lock the doors dead on time but always leave a downstairs window open!

Standard House was handy for the station .. and for the Penny-Come-Quick pub .. which I notice now is all boarded up.

Many preferred Merrifield Hall over in Greenbank Road - only because it was next to the nurses home!!
Old 27th September 2011, 20:45
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Plymouth Nautical College

Did all my ticket studying there in the 60's. Fantastic memories. Moreby was the senior lecturer (Not the principal). Fifield was also a senior staff member. Day and Danton (of TV weather fame) also. The other names will filter back as I think about it. I think I spent more time in the Navigation Bar at the Bedford Arms drinking brown ale than I did in the tech. Another chap taught stability and had written a text book on it which we used.
Old 27th September 2011, 21:30

My location
Graham Danton was a regular on our local Westward televison doing the nightly weather forecast.

I still have a near pristine copy of his "Dantons Seamanship"!!
Old 27th September 2011, 21:39

Plymouth School of Navigation

Joined 1960 after interview with Capt Johnson who sadly passed away.Capt Hughs took over as principal. Remember well Capt Fifield who looked after the Shell Cadets.Capt Day took us for Gyro Compass work,Capt Danton wrote his own seamanship book of which we all had a copy he went on to appear on the then Westward Television and later Radio Devon.Capt Gibson took us for boatwork on a ketch at Mutton Cove-he with his guitar sang the background music for an old film "Fire Down Below". Chiefy Tozer was there as well as Capt Hyde. Bumped into Capt Moreby on Paddington Station going to join the Egyptian Prince in West India Docks. I believe next year would be 150years of the School of Navigation so might be some celebration?. There is a training ketch called "Tectona" back in Plymouth I beleive it was used by Shell Cadets all those years ago. We used to have to go to the Naval Barracks at HMS Drake for drill with Navy Gunnery Instructers on the parade ground they used to take delight at putting their nose next to yours to yell at you-good old days.
Old 29th September 2011, 16:25

My location
The Tectona was still going in the 70's .. used for survival courses etc.

Fisherman's Nose down on the Hoe, just a long from the Barbican was where we did all our radar courses.
Boatwork was done at Cattedown
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:06
Department: Navigation
Active: 1968 - 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by duquesa View Post
Did all my ticket studying there in the 60's. Fantastic memories. Moreby was the senior lecturer (Not the principal). Fifield was also a senior staff member. Day and Danton (of TV weather fame) also. The other names will filter back as I think about it. I think I spent more time in the Navigation Bar at the Bedford Arms drinking brown ale than I did in the tech. Another chap taught stability and had written a text book on it which we used.
Think the Stability text book must have been Capt. Derret.

I was a victim of Chiefy Tozer being the only Denholms cadet that year but after his 'teaching by terror' I never had any trouble passing the exams.
We hung out at the 'Chichester' on the Barbican. Long gone now.
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:46

My location

Derret was indeed the chap. Many thanks.
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:08

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Brown View Post
We hung out at the 'Chichester' on the Barbican. Long gone now.
Sadly most of the pubs used by MN Cadets have now long gone .. as I say, only the "Jamie" still trades just behind the old residential block.

Deck Cadets used to be in a bit of a minority .. as Engineers Cadets used to be there long term .... being given terms as CC's & CCC's (Cadet Captains & Chief Cadet Captains) and responsible for the claenliness of all the rooms, showers etc - carrying out daily inspections before breakfast!

Shell mainly funded the college, but there were Cadets there from all Companies ...BP, Esso, RFA, Denholms, Irish Shipping, Bibby Line, P & O, Reardon Smith, New Zealand Shipping, Houlder Bros .. to name just a few!

Uniform worn all day, especially if visiting the city centre; flag break on the teaching block roof every morning at 08.45, overseen by Chiefy Tozer who also carried out a 'length of hair' inspection at the same time, drill in the carpark on Saturday mornings .... etc.

Peggy duties in the canteen at breakfast & lunchtimes - a real pain that was!!

Head Warden at the time was Bill Curry .. who lived in the "Penthouse" at the top of the block.
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:50

My location

When I was there it was "The Tech". We wore what the heck we liked and there wasn't an engineer in sight.
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:57

My location
I was there on & off from 1970 onwards ... so it took a turn for the worse after your time!
Old 9th October 2011, 13:44

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish Wrecker View Post
There is a training ketch called "Tectona" back in Plymouth I beleive it was used by Shell Cadets all those years ago.

More on the Tectona here:

http://www.tectona.org.uk/index.html
Old 20th December 2011, 16:01

I was there from September 1972 for 2 years, remember it well. Cheques to LR Mills in the 'Jamie' (max value 3 but it paid for a whole weekend on the p including a night out in Tiffanies) Chiefey Towzer etc, etc
Old 21st December 2011, 09:44

My location
Happy days - the 'Jamie' is still there I think, though we used the 'Goodies' more, now long gone.
I was there partly during 1972 .. first 3 months I think
Old 27th December 2011, 22:46
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Sadly most of the pubs used by MN Cadets have now long gone .. as I say, only the "Jamie" still trades just behind the old residential block.

Deck Cadets used to be in a bit of a minority .. as Engineers Cadets used to be there long term .... being given terms as CC's & CCC's (Cadet Captains & Chief Cadet Captains) and responsible for the claenliness of all the rooms, showers etc - carrying out daily inspections before breakfast!

Shell mainly funded the college, but there were Cadets there from all Companies ...BP, Esso, RFA, Denholms, Irish Shipping, Bibby Line, P & O, Reardon Smith, New Zealand Shipping, Houlder Bros .. to name just a few!

Uniform worn all day, especially if visiting the city centre; flag break on the teaching block roof every morning at 08.45, overseen by Chiefy Tozer who also carried out a 'length of hair' inspection at the same time, drill in the carpark on Saturday mornings .... etc.

Peggy duties in the canteen at breakfast & lunchtimes - a real pain that was!!

Head Warden at the time was Bill Curry .. who lived in the "Penthouse" at the top of the block.
Hi I was There
At tech for two years sept 71 to June73 remember them all. 18th birthday in the jamie after revision ratarsed in an hour.
Mainly we were posh and went to the wellington.
Was with Houlders on 2 Eng Course They called me Kettle.
Old 28th December 2011, 08:30

My location
The Wellie .. an upmarket pub - almost as good as the Unity at the top of Union Street!!
Old 28th December 2011, 22:38

My location
Do you remember the early evening classes before dinner. One of the best the ballroom dancing with the girls from the local school.
Names I Can remember are John Ash (Shell), Tony Bray(Shell),Hamish(Shaw Savill), David? Massey(Houlders) & Robin from Soding Chipbury. All eng cadets Will have to dig out my old adress book.
Still think the wellie was hard to beat
Old 29th December 2011, 09:23

My location
Don't recall those classes!! .. perhaps they were 'exclusive' for the Eng Cadets.

One Eng Cadet who I remember, he was the CEC on our floor I think, was Jimmy Landry - not liked by anyone, least of all those from the deck side!
Old 29th December 2011, 11:34

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Don't recall those classes!! .. perhaps they were 'exclusive' for the Eng Cadets.

One Eng Cadet who I remember, he was the CEC on our floor I think, was Jimmy Landry - not liked by anyone, least of all those from the deck side!
rather loud and full of himself,
I think the classes were an option which unless you knew were a no no
Old 31st December 2011, 17:18

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyswamp View Post
rather loud and full of himself,
That is an understatement!!

I think one or two of us took the wind out of his sails as we were promoted to 3/O's during our Phase 2 sea time .. and went back to Plymouth for our final phase wearing one band of braid on our uniform cuffs rather than just a Cadets markings.

He used to leave us alone then!!
Old 1st January 2012, 22:10

My location
trying to find address book for names
stuart