Connell House, Singapore - Ships Nostalgia
23:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Connell House, Singapore

User Tag List

Old 1st February 2006, 02:29

Connell House, Singapore

Who can recall staying at Connell House, in Singapore? As an Apprentice with Shell 1957/1961, I stayed there a few times awaiting transfer to or from one of the Eastern controlled Fleet. A great place to stay, complete with swimming pool. Fell in love by the pool with a lovely Malasian girl ,during my first stay there, which was great until her father found out,and she suddenly vanished from the scene. Was in Singapore some ten years ago, and went looking for CH,and of course it was no longer there. Still, great memories Regards Colin
Old 1st February 2006, 07:42
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
something very special about these asian girls. cant leave mine alone... and i am 63!!
been married for 6 years and feel like we stillon honeymoon (see picture in my profile)
Shame youlost contact with your Malaysin girl. they really do make great wifes(if you find a good one)
Old 1st February 2006, 10:29
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
I stoped in Conal House for a couple of weeks as i missed my ship and had to wait a couple of weeks for her return, me and another AB. no money only a sub allowed for soap and tooth past. but with ships crews changing over and the odd seaman passing through we managed to get a fair share of drinks + seamans mission next door kept us ok too. eventually paid of Singapore and had overnight stay again waiting for flight home, remember rick shore taxis out side main entrance, pay a little more to race to where ever. sorry to hear it is no more? was also Japanese HQ during ocupation WW2.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:14

Connell House

Sadly Connell house no more. Great Beefsteak with fat chips, and peas with lovely brown gravy (1968). And of course Tiger beer. When I returned here to work in Singapore (1999). I spent a whole day looking for the house, to no avail. Managed to find Clifford Pier which still stands proudly opposite what used to be Change Alley. Now an office complex but retains the name. Ocean Building stands also, with a stone at each main entrance with the letters AH, for Alfred Holt. The old wet fish market many of you lads will remember it being Hectagonal in shape. The columns and roof trusses Victorian Cast iron, splendidly now refurbished into a food court. I couldn't find Nelson road where we all used to go for a blood test afore the homeward trip, mental torture if your girlfriend was waiting for you on the dock at Liverpool. Had to rush to go get the little brown envelope (remember), forwarded to L'pool, which could seal your fate. Now Singapore has a Mariner's club located in Maritime House at 120 Cantonment Road, Singapore 089760 This under The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore. For interest the MPA website address:http//www.mpa.gov.sg

Succour.
Old 1st February 2006, 19:02

Connell House

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400
One of the best ever missions.
Never stayed there but remember it well, cracking dances with cracking birds of the non bar variety. Some, beautiful Eurasians looking for that band of gold.
CH bar festooned with all the ships crests, good food and nice swimming pool. Souvenir shops almost opposite with I think Mansfields the shipping agent next to the souvenir shops.
I worked ashore in the late 60's and used to pop in, for old times sake, for a jar of ice cold Tiger. Magic...
Sad to hear it is no more.
Great memories guys. It,s got to be the best ever mission. Regards Colin
Old 1st February 2006, 19:35

Connell House Singapore

Hi,

Certainly brings back memories, a frequent user in 1959, on a Shell charter
doing all the "local" runs.
Had a holiday there in Dec 1993, found all the old haunts gone, Bugis Street
effectively sanitised, no Straits Cabaret, no Worlds, recognised Clifford Pier
and a much changed Change Alley, no V & A club, did come upon the UJ Club
next to St Andrews Cathederal. now a sports pavillion. Happy days memories,
memories. A changed place indeed, and in many eyes all the better for it.

Cheers
Archie.
Old 2nd February 2006, 05:22

A good place to stay in Singapore

You can stay at Maritime House in Cantonment St, Singapore. Lovely en suite
rooms, usually 3 single beds. Fridge and cooker, utensils etc. Better than a hotel, more freedom. Bus stop outside for sight seeing. Just take old Seamans Discharge book or any other. 68 Sing Dollars a night. Beer from downstairs.

Address in my previous reply.

All the best Lads.
Succour
Old 2nd February 2006, 15:36

Stayed there a few times in the 60's. One of the few juke boxes in Singapore, all the rest of the bars had dodgy Filipino bands. A great jumping off point for the Anson Road and all points to infinity. Great days!
Old 4th February 2006, 20:04

Agree with all that's been said about Connell House stayed there in 1961 whilst waiting to Join the Frenulina. The Straits Settlement bar come dance hall just down the road,plus all the other bars not forgetting the Raffles. There used to be a bar just across the road from Clifford Pier you had to go down some steps to it forget the name.
Old 4th February 2006, 20:16
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinj
Agree with all that's been said about Connell House stayed there in 1961 whilst waiting to Join the Frenulina. The Straits Settlement bar come dance hall just down the road,plus all the other bars not forgetting the Raffles. There used to be a bar just across the road from Clifford Pier you had to go down some steps to it forget the name.
Cellar bar, down stairs to big rooms?
Old 4th February 2006, 20:24

Smile

Thanks Jim, Cellar barshould add it to the Watering hole thread.
Old 16th February 2007, 14:28

Question Is this Connell House?

Hi all Connell House fans,

Could anyone tell me if these photos were taken of Connell House? One is the court yard and is the other the pool?

My first order was always a double dark rum and coke and the ice bucket!

All the best,
Taleso
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2CNV00030.JPG (81.2 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg 2CNV00031.JPG (86.1 KB, 214 views)
Old 16th February 2007, 22:37
Banned

A fine Victorian colonial building designed to maximise ventilation. Ceiling fans, louvered doors and tiled flooring, meals served out on the terrace by antique Chinese stewards. A wonderful place, had the pleasure of staying there for two weeks in 1963, the most memorable of any "holiday" I have ever had. Dances held on Saturday nights and a lively bar district close by and of course the pool to freshen up in.

I dont recall that fountain adjacent to that pool or the chequered tiling but certainly the background would suggest a "growing" Singapore of say 70's 80's. The other photo certainly indicates the build style of the Victorian era.
Old 17th February 2007, 14:37

Question Where was I to take these photos?

Hi Geoff,

I reckon the photos are dated between 1964 and 1968. I am almost certain the courtyard is Connell House but the pool I am not too sure about.

Maybe just one rum too many and too much ice.

Could the pool be the Penang Mission??

Best regards,
Taleso

PS Edit message - Have since located photos of Connell House 1969 on the internet and it is the Connell House pool taken with my back to a tile roofed seating area or changing room?....that ran the length of the pool. The fountain and the chequered tiles correspond with the Singapore Archived pictures .

Last edited by Taleso; 17th February 2007 at 16:12..
Old 18th February 2007, 20:22

When I was with Blue Funnel the Mission in Singapore was an afternoon place. We used to sit and have a beer after shopping. I think it was at No 1 Anson Road but I am not sure.
There was Connell Houses all over the place and they were all good, The missions to Seaman was a great system.

best regards
jimmys
Old 26th February 2007, 11:35

My location
Stayed at Connell House in 1968 awaiting arrival of S/T Hamilton Sleigh/VRBO,
and that lasted ten days as she broke down on her way from Japan. The place was used by the Japanese Kempei during WW2.
Also used to call in there during my Ben Line days for a Tiger or two, Singapore was like Penang is today back in those good old days, big monsoon ditches, families lived above their shops, and a Sikh outside the jeweller shops
armed with a shotgun!! Good old days. On Bencruachan we beat the Army at football at Fort Cannon and got a case of Tiger from the Old Man "Typhoon Jones" but got hammered by Tiger Brewery boys as they gave us beer at half time instead of oranges!!
Ern Barrett
Old 26th February 2007, 20:32

Connell House

I stayed in Connell House in 1968/69 whilst serving on the tug Englishman based in Singapore. As I recall it the swimming pool had quite a high diving board and also a springboard. There was a brilliant old juke box at the pool area. They served good cheap meals especially the steak (washed down with copious amounts of tiger beer with the odd 'Singapore Gin Sling')
Ray Jordan
Old 9th April 2007, 10:36

Wink Remember Mount Faber?

Stayed at Connell House several times from 1962 through 1965, had a little friend in a local bar and we would meet after she finished work and go up Mount Faber for a coffee, don't tell the missus!
Old 9th April 2007, 17:45

Dave, was 4th. mate on San Gaspar in 1961, during last year of apprenticeship with Shell. Master was Capt. Neeves, a nice bloke. Had a really good friend, John Mudd, who served his time with Eagle Oil 1957-1961. He died tragically in a car accident 1n 1964 when up for Mates in Belfast. Either name ring a bell? Colin
Old 26th April 2007, 16:57

Hi Colin,

Capt. Neeves rings a bell, where was John Mudd from?

I remember many happy days (weeks) in Connell House waiting for your ship to come in. Also remember the palava I had booking a telephone call home, had tp book it several days in advance, go into special soundproofed cubicle etc.

Must go back soon!

Regards

Dave
Old 26th April 2007, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehowden View Post
Hi Colin,

Capt. Neeves rings a bell, where was John Mudd from?

I remember many happy days (weeks) in Connell House waiting for your ship to come in. Also remember the palava I had booking a telephone call home, had tp book it several days in advance, go into special soundproofed cubicle etc.

Must go back soon!

Regards

Dave
Dave, John was from Bangor N. Ireland. Regards Colin
Old 26th April 2007, 17:24
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1987

Connell House

Stayed at Connell House in '67 before joining the Achatina and again in '69 for the Amoria, some other times also. It was a good place to stay, very open and airy with a nice pool, cool beer and okay food. I especially enjoyed the cameraderie, the whole place had a really good atmosphere. I would say a lot better staying at Connell House than some of the more modern comfortable but really nondescript hotels I later stayed at in Singapore. I'd heard CH finally became a telephone exchange but never actually searched it out.

Mike
Old 26th April 2007, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
Stayed at Connell House in '67 before joining the Achatina and again in '69 for the Amoria, some other times also. It was a good place to stay, very open and airy with a nice pool, cool beer and okay food. I especially enjoyed the cameraderie, the whole place had a really good atmosphere. I would say a lot better staying at Connell House than some of the more modern comfortable but really nondescript hotels I later stayed at in Singapore. I'd heard CH finally became a telephone exchange but never actually searched it out.

Mike
T,was a great place to stay. The last time I was in Singapore, some 12 or more years ago, went looking for it, but coulld on find an empty lot where it used to be. I never heard anyone say anything bad about Connell House, which says a lot. Colin
Old 28th April 2007, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
Dave, was 4th. mate on San Gaspar in 1961, during last year of apprenticeship with Shell. Master was Capt. Neeves, a nice bloke. Had a really good friend, John Mudd, who served his time with Eagle Oil 1957-1961. He died tragically in a car accident 1n 1964 when up for Mates in Belfast. Either name ring a bell? Colin
Hi Colin, me again. I seem sure I sailed with Captain Neeves in Neothauma in 1952. I was 2nd Mate and 'Peddler' Palmer was Mate. As you sayhe was a very nice bloke.
Allan
Old 12th June 2007, 12:57

Just remembered, I was staying in Connell House on 22 November 1963, the day that President Kennedy was assasinated.I had left the GARI and was waiting to join the RITA, both Shell Tankers.