Ramsay, Reynolds and Romanic - Ships Nostalgia
23:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ramsay, Reynolds and Romanic

User Tag List

Old 21st April 2013, 11:40

Ramsay, Reynolds and Romanic

I have just heard a comment that Bolton's management regretted the fact that it built the earlier 1950s Ramsay (1952), Reynolds (1953) and Romanic (1954) simply because these were triple-expansion steamers, albeit with exhaust turbines, and it should have gone for motor vessels instead.
The person who has put forward this suggestion feels that because each vessel lasted with the company for only seven or eight years, then they must have been unsuccessful. But my view is that for a British tramp owner company in that era, such a career span would be about right.
I told my informant that he was talking nonsense, but then got thinking ....
Would be interested to hear from any member of this forum who might have a view on this.
Best regards
Roger Jordan
Old 21st April 2013, 11:47

Slightly off topic but I had a pint in the BOLTON ARMS in Leyburn on Saturday.

Castle Bolton is nearby in the rather lovely Wensleydale
Old 21st April 2013, 12:53

Hello Malky
Before my wife and I decided to retire to Ireland (bad move), we spent a lot of holiday time in Yorkshire, and your posting has brought back memories of what I recall as being a nice little watering hole. My wife says that she too remembers the Bolton Arms -- she remembers all the pubs.
Best regards
Roger