Fidelito - Ships Nostalgia
01:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Fidelito

User Tag List

Old 3rd February 2018, 01:13

Fidelito

Surprised nobody has thought to mention the passing of Castro's son, a victim of severe depression. Always sad to hear of suicide due to that cause.
Old 3rd February 2018, 03:04

Hadn't heard about that. Yes, it's a condition that knows no boundaries. RIP.

John T
Old 3rd February 2018, 05:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy

My location
RIP, Fidelito. The Australian Bureau of Statistics states that there are 8 suicides a day here and the precursor to the majority is depression. A condition slowly becoming understood, belatedly.

Taff
Old 3rd February 2018, 07:19

The armed forces have had their fair share of suicides in my experience.
Two close comrades and three others I knew, took their own lives. Four, when I count the young National Service recruit who hung himself by his braces, during basic training. I was told, by a US Army officer, that African Americans are the least likely to commit suicide, as he had not known of any cases in his area.
Old 3rd February 2018, 12:16

During my working career, I had 2 colleagues who committed suicide (at different times). One male and one female. I never ever thought that either of them was a suicide risk. They were both jolly, easy going people, and got the shock of my life when I was told how they had died.

You just never know.
Old 3rd February 2018, 12:28
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Our next door neighbour had a history of mental ill-health but most of the time, between infrequent bouts of depression, functioned normally. She was friendly and seemed quite happy with her husband and children. However one day she hanged herself from the banister of the staircase.

What we found more difficult to understand than the actual suicide was the timing: in the middle of the afternoon, so that her 11 year-old daughter would be the person who found her, hanging in the hall, when she opened the front door when coming home from school. It was such a cruel and heartless action, which seemed at odds with her normal behaviour.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 3rd February 2018, 13:33
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

I can envisage more than one scenario where I would consider suicide and rail against so called democratic governors who consistently and inhumanely refuse legislation to allow it and allow it to be achieved discretely and painlessly.

Killing myself in a way to make it both horrifying to remaining family behind, or even to the stranger who stumbles across the corpse, and in any form of painful or uncomfortable manner certainly do not figure in any of those scenarios.
Old 3rd February 2018, 17:29
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
I can envisage more than one scenario where I would consider suicide and rail against so called democratic governors who consistently and inhumanely refuse legislation to allow it and allow it to be achieved discretely and painlessly.

Killing myself in a way to make it both horrifying to remaining family behind, or even to the stranger who stumbles across the corpse, and in any form of painful or uncomfortable manner certainly do not figure in any of those scenarios.
Yes, it is dreadful to involve others. One of our company truck and bus drivers told of the time he was successfully used as the vehicle for someone's auto-demise. The unfortunate person's car was found nearby containing a note which excluded our driver from any blame. As our driver swerved, the suicide changed direction to ensure that he went under the wheels of the truck.
I guess that, often but not always, suicides are not in a rational, forward thinking state of mind.

(Seem to have fitted in a couple of unintentional puns there)

Last edited by Basil; 3rd February 2018 at 17:34..
Old 3rd February 2018, 17:44
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

There were two boys at school who took their own lives. One had health problems with asthma that had caused him to miss a whole year.
He ran out in front of a bus.

The other had severe hearing problems, and although he had been provided hearing aids, and was very bright and expected to do well in the A levels, he was found at home by the oven in his kitchen during the summer holiday.

Not very good to hear such tragic events during morning assemblies.

May all those who are so troubled that they end their own lives rest in peace.
Old 3rd February 2018, 19:15
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Kissing the Train was another way.
Old 3rd February 2018, 20:03
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1954 - 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post

Well said Varley!
Mike.
Old 3rd February 2018, 20:10
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Back in the 70's my 17 year old cousin was found beheaded alongside a railway. The police investigated and came to the conclusion he had committed suicide by laying across the rail.

He was one of eight kids from a large highly functional Irish family, and his mother was totally devastated. Personally I didn't believe it, just a couple of weeks prior I had been working on his moped for him and he seemed a full of life teenager with no problems to me.

Some time later his mother received an anonymous phone call from what sounded like a similar aged caller who told her not to believe the 'suicide' verdict as it was not true. No more detail was given as he hung up. It was reported to the police and I believe they looked into it but nothing came of it.

Needless to say his mother went back into devastation. Had he been larking about on the railway (as I'm sure we've all done) or was it something more sinister ?

Personally I think the suicide verdict was wrong. I just couldn't get my head around it. Had the caller just been a mean SOB or was he trying to do a kindness ? We'll never know now.
Old 3rd February 2018, 22:25

My location
Bit Scary , Bob.
Old 3rd February 2018, 22:41
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1954 - 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
Back in the 70's my 17 year old cousin was found beheaded alongside a railway. The police investigated and came to the conclusion he had committed suicide by laying across the rail.

He was one of eight kids from a large highly functional Irish family, and his mother was totally devastated. Personally I didn't believe it, just a couple of weeks prior I had been working on his moped for him and he seemed a full of life teenager with no problems to me.

Some time later his mother received an anonymous phone call from what sounded like a similar aged caller who told her not to believe the 'suicide' verdict as it was not true. No more detail was given as he hung up. It was reported to the police and I believe they looked into it but nothing came of it.

Needless to say his mother went back into devastation. Had he been larking about on the railway (as I'm sure we've all done) or was it something more sinister ?

Personally I think the suicide verdict was wrong. I just couldn't get my head around it. Had the caller just been a mean SOB or was he trying to do a kindness ? We'll never know now.
Sounds like the ultimate in mental cruelty, not knowing, in itself, must be bad enough. Some real SOBs around, then and now.
Mike.
Old 4th February 2018, 03:29

My location
Suicide among young children as a result of cyberbullying is something we older generation struggle to come to terms with. It is on the rise and it seems that it's almost impossible to prevent. An unimaginable tragedy for any parent, grandparent or loved one to be confronted with.
I know a family whose, two daughters, twelve and thirteen survived a suicide pact after being relentlessly bullied through their mobile phones, which shows how easy it is for the 'trolls' to attack the vulnerable. The parents are now working with a community group to study the problem.

Dolly:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-42631208

Many groups are trying to do something positive. 750 per year??:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/inc...ustralia-14921

Taff
Old 4th February 2018, 11:41

I do hope schools and parents explain the psychology of cyber-bullying to children and encourage them to develop a good, solid f you attitude.
Old 6th February 2018, 05:46
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

[QUOTE=Dartskipper;2783969

May all those who are so troubled that they end their own lives rest in peace.[/QUOTE]

Well said Roy! It is a pretty unfathomable thing depression. About two years ago a lad who was 31 and worked for my missus since he was 17 took his own life. My wife and daughter are still troubled by it. As far as we know the only niggle in his young life was that being Gay his parents reacted quite badly to the news. He was always a nice happy go lucky little lad who would always help anyone. He lived in a park home with his partner who always played footy on a Weds night so he gaffa taped every window and door, wrote a note apologising to mum and dad, thanked my missus for always looking out for him and said that he would have done it sooner if not for my daughter helping him, told his partner he loved him and was sorry. He then put on his favourite clothes, lit three disposable barbecues in the living room and went to bed and his partner found him but it was too late. He was obviously thinking about it for a while though because of the level of planning. He left a lot of devastated people behind him and his poor mum and dad took to the bottle heavily. Just very very sad. I echo your sentiments Roy. I just wish people who get to this stage would try talking to someone before wasting the prescious gift of life.
Old 6th February 2018, 14:31

Ufton Nervet; an insignificant railway crossing in Wiltshire. One day a man suffering from depression drove his Land Rover onto the crossing as a high-speed train approached. The collision destroyed the vehicle, killed the driver, and unfortunately derailed the front bogie of the train; which, when it struck a crossing further up the line was wrecked and a further five people were killed.
Old 6th February 2018, 16:07
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1968

I used to work as a railways signalman after I left the sea. It seemed a fairly regular occurrence for people to hide behind bridges and jump in front of a train giving the driver no chance of stopping. I always felt sorry for the drivers, they usually took a couple of days off as per regulations and be back at work.
In all cases the people who committed suicide had mental problems.
Old 6th February 2018, 16:34
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I suppose my initial reaction is to condemn such suicidal types for the horror and grief they're causing to others. But of course that reaction is utterly stupid, and merely demonstrates my complete failure to understand the predicament of a would be suicide.

How could anybody be thinking rationally in that situation ?

(And I'm not talking about the severely or terminally ill sufferers here, that's a completely different scenario.)
Old 6th February 2018, 16:41
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - 1978

I have had to deal with the aftermath of a member of the public committing suicide by jumping from the cliffs here at Culzean a few years back.

Within a few hours there were some posts on social media condemning the poor man for being selfish. Obviously I would rather not have to deal with such things but to blame someone who was obviously not thinking straight seemed wrong to me and the other staff members who had to deal with it. Obviously the comments couldn't do him any harm at that point but as this was on a site open to all these comments could have been seen by his family who were already having to deal with this tragedy.
Old 6th February 2018, 18:59

frangio, a beautiful place to go to work.