MV Captayannis - Ships Nostalgia
18:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

MV Captayannis

User Tag List

Old 14th October 2018, 18:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

MV Captayannis

Don't remember hearing about this happening in 1974.
Was the Light laid up at Rothesay ?
Any one any info ?
Old 14th October 2018, 19:55
Department: Navigation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-west-45641159

Just came up on BBC news site.
Old 14th October 2018, 22:17
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks69 View Post
Don't remember hearing about this happening in 1974.
Was the Light laid up at Rothesay ?
Any one any info ?
I can remember anchoring off Tail of the Bank (where the wreck is) on the British Signal , before going to Finnart for a week of engine repairs.
I saw the wreck of the Captayannis whilst working at Greenock a couple of years ago and was quite surprised that she had not been cut up and shipped to the steel mills of China (sorry fish!).
Regards, Mike
Old 14th October 2018, 22:30
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

BP kept that one quiet ! that is the first I have ever heard about this accident !
Old 14th October 2018, 23:05
Active: 1971 - 1988

News to me too. I was on the Light in Glasgow D/d until 30/11/73. I believe she was laid up on the Thames in Jan 1975, towed to Bilbao for scrap in May 75. No idea what happened to her between D/d and layup on Thames.

Chris

R903573
Old 15th October 2018, 19:40

I left the Curlew on 5th January 1974 in Grangemouth, so I'd have been home on leave at the time. I lived in Carnoustie in those days, but can't recall anything in the Scottish news. If there had been any mention of a BP tanker involved, it would definitely have stuck in my memory.

Last edited by jmirvine; 16th October 2018 at 10:20..
Old 15th October 2018, 23:58

The damage seems to have been done on contact with the anchor chains, perhaps the tanker wasn't damaged.
Old 16th October 2018, 17:45
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

Another less published accident involving a BP tanker. I was working for Stena bulk at the time and was on the Stena Queen when the accident happened. Subsequently we took the Cargo of the "King" and even more coincidental the master of the King at the time of the collision was an ex-BP master ! http://www.aukevisser.nl/supertankers/id343.htm
Old 16th October 2018, 21:55
Active: 1961 - 1969

According to the newspaper report the Greek vessel laden with sugar dragged her anchor and before the master could do anything about it she ran foul of the Light's anchor cable which holed her and she sank of the Tail of the Bank..where she lies to this day.
Old 17th October 2018, 15:40

Saw her back in 2015
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAPTAYANNIS (1500x1000).jpg (145.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 27th October 2018, 14:35

My location
Is that Jim Irvine,, I was on the Curlew around that time and paid off in Grangmouth, John Potts 4th E
Old 27th October 2018, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBP View Post
Is that Jim Irvine,, I was on the Curlew around that time and paid off in Grangmouth, John Potts 4th E
Yes, it's me, although I'm sorry to say that your name doesn't ring a bell. Where about were you from?
As I said, I lived in Carnoustie in those days. I transferred to the Forties field in the latter half of 1975 and stayed with BP until the end of 1995 when I was made redundant.
Old 28th October 2018, 14:31

My location
Hi Jim, I lived in East Kilbride at the time had been on the Curlew for about 6 months, one month in drydock in Falmouth. We had just done Rotterdam to Grangmouth then I paid off, my wife Elizabeth was with me. A friend got me into Honeywell Computers while I was on leave, just couldn't see my marriage lasting if I stayed at sea, never looked back. I was transferred to Toronto Canada in the late 70's now retired here. I came in as a EC, went to Stow in Glasgow then South Shields, happy memories of my time with BP. Where are you living now, I still have many pals on Scotland.... John
Old 28th October 2018, 20:22

Hi John, When I transferred to the Forties field I was still living in Carnoustie and continued to live there for quite a while. I was seconded to a project in the office in Aberdeen in 1982 to set up all the maintenance activities in a new computer system that was being introduced. It was while I was in the office I met Lorraine who also worked for BP, and we got married in 1984. I then got a promotion and a full-time job in the office. We moved to Oldmeldrum in Aberdeenshire at this time and have been there ever since, apart from 18 months in Perth, Australia when I was made redundant by BP. When we returned, I got a job with a company in Aberdeen who were doing work for BP, so I ended up doing my old job again! We have 2 Daughters, the eldest one is married with a 4 year old son of her own now. I spend a lot of my time on "Grandad" duties these days.
Jim
Old 29th October 2018, 14:18

My location
Thanks Jim, so happens that I spent two very pleasant years in Aberdeen, Newtonhill actually. I was transferred by Honeywell to look after Aberdeen University's main frame computer system located in Seaton. We loved Aberdeen except for the "har". My third son was born there 40 years ago, great people. When I was asked (ordered) to transfer to Toronto to look after Bell Canada's mainframe, we were apprehensive but it worked out. My three son's live close by so like you we are on call for "grandi" duties... thanks for the chat Jim, be safe.. BTW, great curries in Aberdeen... John