Pasage to Wisbech - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
07:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Pasage to Wisbech

User Tag List

Old 4th June 2017, 11:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksy View Post
That was a vessel called the Lagic.It was across the river upstream from Port Sutton Bridge.It had a steel cargo and it broke its back in 2 places.The port continued to be used whilst the Lagic was salvaged as they bought the ships up stern first.Wisbech was cut of whilst the salvage operation took place.
There were two incidents concerning two Rowbotham Tankers straddled across the Nene at different times in the 1960s, The Anchorman and the Tillerman I believe that there are photos and comments about both incidents on this site. The Tillerman became permanently sagged after the incident. If I remember correctly there were two pilots on the Nene, sometimes if there were more than two ship movements on a particular tide, the captain on one of the ships would be asked if he wouldbe willing to follow up, I believe that only occured with regular traders to the port. One of the pilots, was an ex Rowbotham captain, I have forgotten his name now. Bruce.
Old 4th June 2017, 11:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hilton View Post
Thanks, Beedeesea. I missed that when it was aired on TV because I was at sea. The master/owner is well known to me and I recognised various faces including one in the Beach Hotel at Exmouth. Truly a blast from the past. I'm really grateful.

Interesting documentary. Is the owner still in business?
Old 5th June 2017, 00:08
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

Hi Bruce, the ex Rowbotham master would have been either Peter Vine or John Stewart. Probably Peter as I think John was a pilot at Boston or Kings Lynn. I sailed with them both. Two great chaps.
Old 5th June 2017, 08:35

My location
Hi Winmar, Peter Vine rings a bell, he was a fairly young man with fair hair, only a short pilotage but, could be tricky at times. Bruce.
Old 5th June 2017, 13:52
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by price View Post
Hi Winmar, Peter Vine rings a bell, he was a fairly young man with fair hair, only a short pilotage but, could be tricky at times. Bruce.
It was indeed a tricky little river and needed 100% concentration at all times! Peter was a good seaman and very professional. He actually lived in Wisbech while he was still at Rowbothams.
Old 17th January 2018, 14:35

Coast lines

I have just watched the recording of the Coaster, Carrick again, very enjoyable. On my dadís medical certificate as he signed on in Jan 1930 to Lancastria it says previous employer Coast Lines. Would he have had number on those ships and would it be the same as that shown on his Discharge book. First entry on that is Jan 1930 so Coast Lines would be late 1929.
Old 8th July 2018, 16:24

Does anyone recall the television programme on the "ADELPHIA" with Eric Goodall at the helm? Equally interesting insight into the coasting trade as "Passage to Wisbech" prove to be. Remember the coaster going into the heart of The Netherlands - but cannot find the programme on YouTube at the moment.
Old 9th July 2018, 15:40

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
Does anyone recall the television programme on the "ADELPHIA" with Eric Goodall at the helm? Equally interesting insight into the coasting trade as "Passage to Wisbech" prove to be. Remember the coaster going into the heart of The Netherlands - but cannot find the programme on YouTube at the moment.
Some other folk were enquiring about availability of that film:
http://coasters-remembered.net/showthread.php?t=203

Brian
Old 9th June 2019, 20:52
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedeesea View Post
Some other folk were enquiring about availability of that film:
http://coasters-remembered.net/showthread.php?t=203

Brian