Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships - Page 30 - Ships Nostalgia
01:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

User Tag List

Old 1st September 2011, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJOCKY View Post
Nick, Yes I was a G man but more importantly I was part of Harry's team and although I had better memories on the Humbolt (my 1st trip as 2/E) compared to the Joule my ship was the Cavendish and closely followed by the Black Max .
They were all slated by the outsiders and although they were a bit manky and the runs were not as glamourous as the "Westbury" boys enjoyed, they were happy trips with good men.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:24

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hi Alan
Wait until you get to 65 and if you are in the Kenwake pension as I am It doubled. Not bad eh!

Regards
Leo, Just passed that landmark in May, don,t know about doubling but certainly the pension from Kenwake has increased nicely over the years. Hows the move going? Regards Alan.
Old 3rd September 2011, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
Leo, Just passed that landmark in May, don,t know about doubling but certainly the pension from Kenwake has increased nicely over the years. Hows the move going? Regards Alan.
Hi Alan.
Just waiting to be told to come and sign at the Notary, get the cheque and then book our ferry from Spain to the UK. Yes the Kenwake Pension has done rather well, in fact mine is now more than my Old Age Pension.
I also get a Pension from the Danish Govt. for the time (5 years) I spent over there on the Shelf Driller which is a nice little earner.
Mind you though Alan for that 5 years over there I get a third of the UK pension for which I had to put in 44 years. I only wish I had spent more time over there.

Regards

Leo
Old 4th September 2011, 18:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Careful Leo, you will be getting accused of bragging how wealthy you are. The same way they like to attack me.
Old 5th September 2011, 08:49

Quote:
Careful Leo, you will be getting accused of bragging how wealthy you are. The same way they like to attack me.
Hi Mal.
Since when have you bothered about being "accused" Anyway you are most probably the richest person on here
Only small minded people display the tendencies of envy but then again Malcolm, we can rise above that, can't we?

Regards
Old 6th September 2011, 01:11

I think we are all the richest in our own little world, whether it is my pre-boiled eggs (shelled as well) or you being able to return "home" and to be close to those bairns or SM living in a city with the best indian food in the world, or John P living in a city with the best football team.

Then add in all of our families and friends, shipmates and those we meet on here and we are all rich in one form of another.

...as for being accused and worrying about it, that carpet muncher did not know how much she really p1ssed me off calling me mate, petal and worse still "pet".

I can hear it now, first day back after 6 months on a gas boat and I run into an old great aunt in the village "eeh, is that you Pet, when you going back Pet, how you doing Pet, got to run Pet your uncle Dinky is waiting for his Woodbines Pet."

The best Leo, ME
Old 13th September 2011, 04:42

Quote:
Hi Glyn,

I was on most of the gas boats and sailed as 2/E on the Black Max but not until 1979. Many fond memories. Which other Houlders ships were you on.
i was on the joule for about 8-9 months we spent over a month in dry dock in rotterdam. i then left the company to work for a newcastle company r.s.dalgleish & co. (raggy daggys ) as they were affectionatly known. i was only in the merchant marine for 3-4 years but when you are 21 some things you dont forget. my only regret is i didnt stay longer as i have some wonderful memories. happy days.
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:09
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1962 - 2004

Hello Susan
I sailed with a Tony Moor several times he was Ch. Off. The ships were I think were the Denby Grange and one of the small ore carriers. I think he lived in Mevagissey and I stayed with him for a weekend when the ship was in dry dock.
When I last saw hime he was Master on the Cerinthus this would have been 1973.
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:25
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1962 - 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
Hi Sandra and Cutsplce,
Capt. Hutchison is alive and well -I have just been on the phone to him- as;as he is not on the WWW. He has just come back from Spain after being on vacation.He remembers you Sandra and he thinks he remembers encountering s scouser in the Forth but is not sure of the ship.
Capt Fellingham died last year as did Jack Blacklaws - I was at their funerals. I have not seen Capt McFarlane for over a year and will make inquiry. J.Wood is still there and I saw Tom Robinson at the funerals

I also agree Eddie is a fine fellow - he and I were shipmates in Caltex - a first class mariner if ever there was one.
Best regards to you both from Eddie and I
JC
Was the E. Hutchinson you mention Master on the "Corato" in 1974 when it was on charter to OPDR on the Spanish, Portugal and North African run. I was 2nd. Mate at the time but was promoted Mate before leaving on 13.09.74. As I remember he was a excellent generous and very helpful Master.
Mike
Old 3rd October 2011, 19:46

HI, does anyone remember Wally Sayer who sailed with Houlders during the 1970s as an Engineer, he was formally a Chippy.
Old 9th October 2011, 19:12

i would love to know what became of derek harwood from clitheroe he was with me on the clerk maxwell he went afterto the joel macance
Old 21st October 2011, 11:47
Active: 1967 - 1971

Hi I saild on Ocean Transport from 1967 to 1970 as engineer (finished as 4th) then worked on Kingsnorth UK (from being buil in Finland to work in North Sea), also worked in Finland on Dundee Kings North as electrical engineer. Known on both ship and rig as "Taffy".
Rgds.
Martin Jones
Old 21st October 2011, 12:05

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by martwillhenry View Post
Hi I saild on Ocean Transport from 1967 to 1970 as engineer (finished as 4th) then worked on Kingsnorth UK (from being buil in Finland to work in North Sea), also worked in Finland on Dundee Kings North as electrical engineer. Known on both ship and rig as "Taffy".
Rgds.
Martin Jones
Hi Martin, Welcome to the site I was on the KUK 1981 off Southern Ireland and later in the North Sea to April 82. It was strange being allowed alcohol offshore (Ireland only), think it was two cans a day also the flights home in tiny planes sometimes with a female pilot!! Happy days. Alan.
Old 31st October 2011, 21:29

Reply to Martwillhenry of Wrexham ex Ocean Transport and Kingsnorth, were you part of the "Firestone" team from Wrexham who had a presence on the Kingsnorth units and Houlder Offshore .Names that come to mind are Cliff Samuels, Joe Davis,John Bartley, Dai Davies. You must remember Jimmy Jones , Les (spike) Wright,Stewart Fairburn,Derek Brand, plenty more names from the mid 70's upto the mid 90's. I was 2Eng on Ocean Transport 72--74,(Vic Pegg was Chief) then brief spellon rigs followed by Uncle John and then Jack Ups untill 1997. Cheers Bob Whittaker
Old 6th November 2011, 10:03

anybody know what happened to Mr Bacholer from sea personel
Old 7th November 2011, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob mcc View Post
anybody know what happened to Mr Bacholer from sea personel
Hi Rob.

The last I heard of "Batch" was that he had taken a job as some sort of guide at Buckingham Palace and that was years ago.

Regards
Old 25th November 2011, 13:10

Hi Leo,

are you all settled into the cold and wet north east weather, my wife and kids are over in Wark this week and she took them to the Carter Bar 2 days ago and a she was taking photos my 7 yr old told her to hurry up as it was F---ing freezing. He did not learn that from me. !
Old 25th November 2011, 16:29

Hi Mal.

Yes, we are just about settled in now and have nearly emptied the garage of all the boxes we had sent over. I don't know where it all comes from but we accumulate so much rubbish over the years. The weather has been pretty mild since we have been back here although I expect we will get snow sooner or later. Getting plenty of babysitting in with the grandchildren but I draw the line at changing nappies.
If you are ever thinking of coming over at all, give me a shout and we can meet up.

Regards

Leo
Old 20th December 2011, 10:27

Hi All. Just found this site a few days ago.
I am Tim Stenner & was with Houlder Shipping from Sept 1970 when I started as an Engineer Cadet to March 1984 when I left the Clerk Maxwell as 2nd/Eng and transferred to Houlder Marine Drilling and the KUK.
Orotava June 72 to Jan 73 (Cadet)
Clyde Bridge Feb 74 to Sept 74 (Cadet & Jnr/Eng)
Cumbria Nov 74 to March 75 (5th/Eng
Humbolt Sept 75 to Dec 75 (Dia Davies & the road signs) (5th Eng)
Faraday Jan 76 to Jun 76 (5th/Eng)
Banbury Aug 76 to Jun 77 ( 3 x Trips on PSNC Run) (4th Eng)
Lord Kelvin Dec 77 Stood by in Italy & sailed May 78. Then various trips until
May 81 (4th/Eng - 3rd/Eng - 2nd/Eng)
Faraday Aug 81 to Jan 82 (2nd/Eng)
Humbolt Apr 82 to Sept 82 (2nd/Eng)
Lord Kelvin Nov 82 to Apr 83 (2nd/Eng)
Clerk Max Nov 83 to March 84 (2nd /Eng)
Then the rigs ...KUK - Dundee Kingsnorth - High Seas Driller - South Seas Driller - Ross Isle - Shelf Explorer - John Shaw - Nordic - Paul B Loyd.

Happy Christmas to one & All.

Cheers
Tim Stenner

Last edited by TIM STENNER; 20th December 2011 at 11:53.. Reason: Update of facts
Old 20th December 2011, 22:37

Tim Stenner / Hi Tim plenty of ex ship/rig people using this site that you will know , me for one . Cheers Bob Whittaker
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:11

Hi Bob.
Looks like an interesting site to be hanging around. Lots of names I remember. Left the rigs in June 2011....now on the MNOPF Pension. Best Wishes Tim
Old 25th December 2011, 23:21
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM STENNER View Post
Hi All. Just found this site a few days ago.
I am Tim Stenner & was with Houlder Shipping from Sept 1970 when I started as an Engineer Cadet to March 1984 when I left the Clerk Maxwell as 2nd/Eng and transferred to Houlder Marine Drilling and the KUK.
Orotava June 72 to Jan 73 (Cadet)
Clyde Bridge Feb 74 to Sept 74 (Cadet & Jnr/Eng)
Cumbria Nov 74 to March 75 (5th/Eng
Humbolt Sept 75 to Dec 75 (Dia Davies & the road signs) (5th Eng)
Faraday Jan 76 to Jun 76 (5th/Eng)
Banbury Aug 76 to Jun 77 ( 3 x Trips on PSNC Run) (4th Eng)
Lord Kelvin Dec 77 Stood by in Italy & sailed May 78. Then various trips until
May 81 (4th/Eng - 3rd/Eng - 2nd/Eng)
Faraday Aug 81 to Jan 82 (2nd/Eng)
Humbolt Apr 82 to Sept 82 (2nd/Eng)
Lord Kelvin Nov 82 to Apr 83 (2nd/Eng)
Clerk Max Nov 83 to March 84 (2nd /Eng)
Then the rigs ...KUK - Dundee Kingsnorth - High Seas Driller - South Seas Driller - Ross Isle - Shelf Explorer - John Shaw - Nordic - Paul B Loyd.

Happy Christmas to one & All.

Cheers
Tim Stenner
Hi Tim
I remember you from plymouth nautical college from the heady days of 71, there was me and David? (bones) Massey, in the year below. then we met on the Humbolt I was the gash hand (cadet/Jnr Eng) living in the hospital.
I was also on the shore trip when Dia aquired The road signs.
regards
Stuart(Kettle) Hood
Old 26th December 2011, 14:37

Merry Christmas All

Came across the site by chance a few days ago.

I was with Houlders from 1973 - 1978

Hardwicke Grange (2 trips 1973 - 1974)
Cumbria (2 trips 1974 - 1975)
Banbury (4 trips 1975 -1978)

All the Best
Old 31st December 2011, 14:07
Active: 1972 - 1983

Hi Tim, Did you join the Cumbria in Cape Town. Then we sailed around to Egypt.
Ian (Taff)
Old 31st December 2011, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
Hi Tim, Did you join the Cumbria in Cape Town. Then we sailed around to Egypt.
Ian (Taff)
Ian

I joined Cumbria at P. Kembla July 74, I got off in Alexandria just before Xmas.

Regards

John W