Burmah Garnet - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
07:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Burmah Garnet

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Old 6th May 2020, 22:04
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickylad44 View Post
Samson Posts are shown in this image of the vessel >
Yes, but what ship? This is not the ship become BURMAH GARNET.

This is a pure tanker... no dry cargo hatches and the superstructure is at least one deck less. Same owner for sure though.

I guess there were many photos of this ship.

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 6th May 2020, 22:58
Strickylad44's Avatar
Strickylad44 Strickylad44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Yes, but what ship? This is not the ship become BURMAH GARNET.

This is a pure tanker... no dry cargo hatches and the superstructure is at least one deck less. Same owner for sure though.

I guess there were many photos of this ship.

Stephen
Ask Mr Randcmackenzie if it is the ship he sailed on.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 6th May 2020, 23:26
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,850
Stricklylad, I am sending youthe £50 prize!

I have found several pages... incorrect information!

Finally I was able to find the IMO number 641608. This is written in stone!

I was able to track this down to a VARDEFJELL.... that became the BURMAH GARNET. This is indeed the ship that you posted an hour or so ago.

OK.. you have got and here is the full information and is the right ship and she did have the midships posts etc.
Stephen



1964 MT VARDEFJELL (5) (OSL337196403)


Type

Motorskip, tanker
motor ship, tanker.

Off.no(IMO):

6416108


Flagg (flag):

NOR

Havn(port):

Oslo


Byggeår (year built):

1964/09

Bnr(Sno):

1170


Bygger (yard):

Kieler Howaldtswerke A.G., Kiel, Vest-Tyskland.


Eier (owner):

A/SDovrefjell & A/S Falkefjell, Oslo.


Disponent (manager):

Olsen &Ugelstad, Oslo.


Klasse (Class).:

DnV +1A1


Tonnasje (Tonnage):

59.020 tdw, 35.653 brt,20.936 nrt.


Dimensjoner (size):

Loa: 236,2 m-Lbp:225,0 m-B: 32,3 m-D: 16,4 m-Dypg.: 12,212 m.


Lasthåndteringsyst.
(cargo handling):

5 x 3 tanker.
3 x lossepumper med samlet kapasitet 5.400m³/t.


Kjølemaskineri
(Ref. machinery):


Navigasjonsutstyr:


Manøversystemer
(syst. for manouvering):


Dekksmaskineri
(deck machinery):


Kommunikasjonsutstyr
(comm. equipm.):


Kallesignal (Call sign):

JXZF.

Fremdrift (propulsion):

1 x dieselmotor, Götaverken type850/1700-VGA-9U. 2-takt/enkltv., 9-sylindret, syl. dim.: 850 x 1.700 mm.19.000 BHK ved 115 o. min. Bygget av Kieler Howaldtswerke A. G.,Kiel, Vest-Tyskland.


Fart/forbr. (speed/cons.):

16,25 knop ved et forbrukpå 73,0 t/døgn.
Bunkerskapasitet 3.684 t.


Hjelpemaskineri (aux):

2 x dieselgen., hver 340kW.
1 x turbogen. 600 kW


Tot. el. kraft (el.power):

1.280kW/440-220VAC/60Hz.


Kjele(r) (boiler):

2 x vannrørs hjelpekjeler(water tube aux. boilers) med arbeidstrykk 185 psi.
1 x vannrørs exh. kjel (water tube economiser) med arbeidstrykk 171 psi.


Bemanning (crew):

pers,

Historikk:

1963 Kontrahert.
1964 Bygget som VARDEFJELL av Kieler Howaldtswerke A. G.,Kiel, Vest-Tyskland for A/S Dovrefjell & A/S Falkefjell (Olsen &Ugelstad), Oslo. Sjøsatt 30/05, levert 19/09. Byggekostnader NOK49.675.000.
1966 Ombygget i oktober til Oil/Bulk/Ore-skip ved Firth of ClydeDrydocking Co. Ltd, Greenock, Scotland. Ny tonnasje: 59.660 tdw, 36.136brt, 23.374 nrt. Ny dypg.: 12,561 m.
1973 Solgt i februar til Hoccus Poccus Ltd, London, England.Omdøpt til BURMAH GARNET.
Videresolgt til Wm. Brandt (Eight Leasing) Ltd (Burmah Tankers Ltd),Glasgow, Scotland.
1977 Lagt opp 20/07 i Itea, Hellas.
1978 Solgt til Burmah Oil Tankers Ltd, London. Registrert iGlasgow.
Ankom 25/04 under slep til Barcelona, Spania for hugging som begynte02/05 ved Desguaces Condel.


History in English:

1963 Ordered.
1964 Built as VARDEFJELL at Kieler Howaldtswerke A. G., Kiel,West Germany for A/S Luksefjell & A/S Rudolf (Olsen & Ugelstad), Oslo.Launched 30/05, delivered 19/09. Building costs NOK 49.675.000.
1966 Converted in October to an Oil/Bulk/Ore-carrier at Firth ofClyde Drydocking Co. Ltd, Greenock, Scotland. New tonnage: 59.660 tdw,36.136 brt, 23.374 nrt. New draugth: 12,561 m.
1973 Sold in February to Hoccus Poccus Ltd, London, England.Renamed BURMAH GARNET.
Re-sold the same year to Wm. Brandt (Eight Leasing) Ltd (Burmah Tankers Ltd),Glasgow, Scotland.
1977 Laid up 20/07 in Itea, Greece.
1978 Sold to Burmah Oil Tankers Ltd, London. Registered inGlasgow.
Arrived 25/04 in tow to Barcelona, Spain for demolition that began 02/05by Desguaces Condel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSL33719640320001%20VARDEFJELL garnet.jpg (66.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Stephen J. Card; 6th May 2020 at 23:29..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 7th May 2020, 08:45
Strickylad44's Avatar
Strickylad44 Strickylad44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Stricklylad, I am sending youthe £50 prize!

I have found several pages... incorrect information!

Finally I was able to find the IMO number 641608. This is written in stone!

I was able to track this down to a VARDEFJELL.... that became the BURMAH GARNET. This is indeed the ship that you posted an hour or so ago.

OK.. you have got and here is the full information and is the right ship and she did have the midships posts etc.
Stephen



1964 MT VARDEFJELL (5) (OSL337196403)


Type

Motorskip, tanker
motor ship, tanker.

Off.no(IMO):

6416108


Flagg (flag):

NOR

Havn(port):

Oslo


Byggeår (year built):

1964/09

Bnr(Sno):

1170


Bygger (yard):

Kieler Howaldtswerke A.G., Kiel, Vest-Tyskland.


Eier (owner):

A/SDovrefjell & A/S Falkefjell, Oslo.


Disponent (manager):

Olsen &Ugelstad, Oslo.


Klasse (Class).:

DnV +1A1


Tonnasje (Tonnage):

59.020 tdw, 35.653 brt,20.936 nrt.


Dimensjoner (size):

Loa: 236,2 m-Lbp:225,0 m-B: 32,3 m-D: 16,4 m-Dypg.: 12,212 m.


Lasthåndteringsyst.
(cargo handling):

5 x 3 tanker.
3 x lossepumper med samlet kapasitet 5.400m³/t.


Kjølemaskineri
(Ref. machinery):


Navigasjonsutstyr:


Manøversystemer
(syst. for manouvering):


Dekksmaskineri
(deck machinery):


Kommunikasjonsutstyr
(comm. equipm.):


Kallesignal (Call sign):

JXZF.

Fremdrift (propulsion):

1 x dieselmotor, Götaverken type850/1700-VGA-9U. 2-takt/enkltv., 9-sylindret, syl. dim.: 850 x 1.700 mm.19.000 BHK ved 115 o. min. Bygget av Kieler Howaldtswerke A. G.,Kiel, Vest-Tyskland.


Fart/forbr. (speed/cons.):

16,25 knop ved et forbrukpå 73,0 t/døgn.
Bunkerskapasitet 3.684 t.


Hjelpemaskineri (aux):

2 x dieselgen., hver 340kW.
1 x turbogen. 600 kW


Tot. el. kraft (el.power):

1.280kW/440-220VAC/60Hz.


Kjele(r) (boiler):

2 x vannrørs hjelpekjeler(water tube aux. boilers) med arbeidstrykk 185 psi.
1 x vannrørs exh. kjel (water tube economiser) med arbeidstrykk 171 psi.


Bemanning (crew):

pers,

Historikk:

1963 Kontrahert.
1964 Bygget som VARDEFJELL av Kieler Howaldtswerke A. G.,Kiel, Vest-Tyskland for A/S Dovrefjell & A/S Falkefjell (Olsen &Ugelstad), Oslo. Sjøsatt 30/05, levert 19/09. Byggekostnader NOK49.675.000.
1966 Ombygget i oktober til Oil/Bulk/Ore-skip ved Firth of ClydeDrydocking Co. Ltd, Greenock, Scotland. Ny tonnasje: 59.660 tdw, 36.136brt, 23.374 nrt. Ny dypg.: 12,561 m.
1973 Solgt i februar til Hoccus Poccus Ltd, London, England.Omdøpt til BURMAH GARNET.
Videresolgt til Wm. Brandt (Eight Leasing) Ltd (Burmah Tankers Ltd),Glasgow, Scotland.
1977 Lagt opp 20/07 i Itea, Hellas.
1978 Solgt til Burmah Oil Tankers Ltd, London. Registrert iGlasgow.
Ankom 25/04 under slep til Barcelona, Spania for hugging som begynte02/05 ved Desguaces Condel.


History in English:

1963 Ordered.
1964 Built as VARDEFJELL at Kieler Howaldtswerke A. G., Kiel,West Germany for A/S Luksefjell & A/S Rudolf (Olsen & Ugelstad), Oslo.Launched 30/05, delivered 19/09. Building costs NOK 49.675.000.
1966 Converted in October to an Oil/Bulk/Ore-carrier at Firth ofClyde Drydocking Co. Ltd, Greenock, Scotland. New tonnage: 59.660 tdw,36.136 brt, 23.374 nrt. New draugth: 12,561 m.
1973 Sold in February to Hoccus Poccus Ltd, London, England.Renamed BURMAH GARNET.
Re-sold the same year to Wm. Brandt (Eight Leasing) Ltd (Burmah Tankers Ltd),Glasgow, Scotland.
1977 Laid up 20/07 in Itea, Greece.
1978 Sold to Burmah Oil Tankers Ltd, London. Registered inGlasgow.
Arrived 25/04 in tow to Barcelona, Spain for demolition that began 02/05by Desguaces Condel.
Thanks. I could have posted all of that when you disagreed. But I thought I would let you dig for it instead.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 7th May 2020, 10:33
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickylad44 View Post
Thanks. I could have posted all of that when you disagreed. But I thought I would let you dig for it instead.
B'stard! :-)


Have a safe day under 'jail time'.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 7th May 2020, 18:16
chris jackson chris jackson is offline
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1976
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Burmah Garnet

Interesting debate re the Burmah Garnet. I have delved to the depths of what little remains of my memories of this ship. I have come across a French newspaper report of the fire in Marseille and I have included a close up of the ship's previous name. DEFJELL is visible. That would rule out Varangefjel.I joined her on 29th May in dry dock and we didn't sail until 26th July.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200507_180008.jpg (86.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200507_180203.jpg (52.7 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 7th May 2020, 18:30
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,850
Ah, you have to remember to send the £50 to StricklyLad. He found the photo of the right ship. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 7th May 2020, 21:22
chris jackson chris jackson is offline
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1976
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Great discussion folks, but I still haven't got a good picture of Burmah Garnet for my collage. Somebody must have one. CJ
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 7th May 2020, 23:10
randcmackenzie randcmackenzie is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
My location
Posts: 1,392
burmah garnet

That's the one, Vardefjell IMO 6416108, you can all find her on the Olsen and Ugelstad entry in Wikipedia.

I'll tell you the tale of my trip on her some day ......

Roddie.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 7th May 2020, 23:54
Varley's Avatar
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1971 - 2011
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,010
Tell me you had a 'fridge, Roddie. A well kept one at that!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off




Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.