Ships telegraphs on ss America/ Australis - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
22:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ships telegraphs on ss America/ Australis

User Tag List

Old 16th May 2020, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Taroona,
Your first post I see.
Welcome to SN.
YM
You are most kind. Yes, my first post, but I have been reading for quite a while.

I am no seasoned mariner, such as most of the members are, but I have always loved ships. I think it is in my Scottish (Australian) blood. My great grandparents were from Glasgow and I am certain that, had I been born there, I would have gone to sea. My only difficulty would have been choosing between the deck and the engine room.

By my mid-twenties, I had achieved my ambition to circumnavigate the world by steamship. My maritime beginnings took place on Bass Straight, on board TSS Taroona (Alex Stephen 1934) between Melbourne and Tasmania (Burnie and Devonport). I fell in love with her cruiser stern.

Taroona was a "flat-bottomed boat", having a sufficiently modest draught to navigate the Tamar River, to Launceston. I think it made her a bit rough in high seas but I always enjoyed that (one of the few).

When I eventually made my first visit to the Clyde, fifty years ago, I was totally impressed to see the source of the success of the British Empire. More difficult to discern, now, I consider.

I married a lovely girl who gets sea-sick at the sight of a ship, so my seaborne travels have been long curtailed. Cruise ships do not appeal to me, anyway.

Whilst working in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, as a Graduate Apprentice in engineering (at C A Parsons Pty Ltd), I had the honour of interacting with many a "sea-going engineer" who had come ashore. They all knew Young and Jackson's pub, in Melbourne! They taught me much.

My Scots landlord was retired, but he had grown up in Belfast (they followed the work) and he recounted to me his memories from taking lunch to his father who was working in the Harland and Wolff yard, then busily constructing RMS Titanic.

We were living just up the road from the Swan Hunters yard, where the Mauritania had been built. It involved no more than a stroll to see the launching of a "supertanker". I recall seeing the launching of both Esso Hibernia and Esso Northumbria, without consulting my notes.

Enough from me, for now. Thank you, all.
Old 16th May 2020, 14:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2017

More Queen Mary photos - I knew there was another telegraph somewhere!

Third photo - Queen Mary - the Steering Telegraph! Funnily enough, it is in the Steering Flat beside the compass.

First photo is the Aft Engine Room Control Flat, with Telegraphs for Port Inner shaft, Boiler Room, & Stbd Inner Shaft.
The boiler rooms have all been gutted completely, as has the Fwd Engine Room and the Fwd E.R. Control Flat.

Second photo is same Boiler Room telegraph as Stephen shows above, but it has moved over the last 30 years, and now three screws are missing from the cover plate, not just two!

How many crew did they have aboard just to jingle all the telegraphs I wonder?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180821_123509.jpg (208.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20180821_123804.jpg (170.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20180821_153316_Steering telegraph.jpg (167.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by skilly57; 16th May 2020 at 15:16..
Old 16th May 2020, 15:07

Probably just the Engineer Cadets... just like Nav Cadets!

Did you like the two models of NORMANDIE and TITANIC?

On a QE2 crossing I saw a passenger looking at one of my paintings... intently at the detail. I said, "So, you like marine paintings?" He said, "Sure, but models are my thing." I went right back, "You are Roberto Pirrone!" Right on. It wasn't a hard guess... dressed all in black and with a 'dog collar'.

Stephen
Old 17th May 2020, 07:40

More telegraphs on Queen Mary!

Up fwd I found the Anchoring Telegraph and the Mooring Telegraph.
These units have not been maintained to the same degree as the Bridge telegraphs unfortunately.

Also shown is Sir Winstons, situated above the Verandah Grill, and situated right down aft. The Verandah Grill was completely gutted by Long Beach Council when they first bought the ship, but the original interiors were eventually located in a warehouse ashore and the current managers have now restored the V.G. to nearly it's original condition. Our guide unlocked the Grill for our benefit and I have a photos from in here as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fwd Mooring tel. & Anchoring tel..jpg (150.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Anchoring Telegraph.jpg (145.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Sir Winstons is above the V.G..jpg (117.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by skilly57; 17th May 2020 at 12:42..
Old 17th May 2020, 09:20

Stephen, the models are incredible!

I don't know if they were located here when you visited, but they are all now in a 'Shipyard', located on the Stbd Promenade Deck.
Before entering the Shipyard, one is greeted by a 26-ft long Lego brick model (250,000+ bricks) of the Queen Mary (photo attached).
Once on the Promenade Deck proper there are many models, but the quality & workmanship of the Titanic model struck me the most. Numerous photos are attached below, but it was sometimes very hard to get good photos due to the sunlight coming in. Morning photos would be better. We had just come across from Southampton on the QM2 6 weeks earlier, in thick fog the entire voyage. We saw nothing, and heard nothing except the fog horn.
I believe we enjoyed the days & history aboard the Queen Mary far more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 143704_Queen Mary in Lego.jpg (323.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 144505_Titanic boilers.jpg (381.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 144727_Titanic steam engine.jpg (266.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 144737_Titanic centre turbine.jpg (305.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 144821_Titanic steering flat.jpg (243.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by skilly57; 17th May 2020 at 09:54.. Reason: Added the photos after downsizing
Old 17th May 2020, 10:13

When I took my family there in 1983 there was none of this "Shipyard" stuff. Obviously they have done a fair bit of work since then. I do remember that the Engine Room tour was well attended and received (run by an old Haggis-basher) but the deck stuff - people wandered off after a very short time, leaving the guide almost to himself.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:33

Did you ever go to 'collision' down in the hold? It shows how an accident happens and then a collision. You get splashed a bit. Different.

The Pirrone models...

YouTube: search Father Roberto Pirrone

Titanic, Lusitania, and Normandie Cutaways on the Queen Mary

Discussion about the models. Quite interesting. His did all of this work was done at a time when it was not easy to find all of the plans and photos etc.

The Lego model. Have not seen that one. Looks like it started out to be one by Fincantieri and then decided, "Forget the curves. Let's make just ONE huge square and then add a pointy bow and stay at that." And that is how cruise ships are built today... or they look like it!
Old 18th May 2020, 11:34

Thanks for clarifying ships telegraph idiosyncrasies.
Old 18th May 2020, 11:47
Active: 1970 - Present

There must be a Bar Order Telegraph somewhere on the QM; Gin and Tonic, Whiskey and Soda and a Sweet Sherry for the Ladies.
Old 18th May 2020, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
There must be a Bar Order Telegraph somewhere on the QM; Gin and Tonic, Whiskey and Soda and a Sweet Sherry for the Ladies.

Captain's Bar... I mean Cabin.

Used for cocktail parties at lunch time.
Old 18th May 2020, 15:23

Nope! No gin telegraphs in the captain's cabin. I even checked the wardrobe for evidence of sly grogging, but nothing in sight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0302_Captain's Cabin.jpg (141.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 0303_Captains dayroom.jpg (139.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 0304_Captain's Wardrobe.jpg (100.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 18th May 2020, 16:30

My friend Russel was First Officer in CARONIA. The officers went to the lunchtime party, waiting for the passengers to arrive. They arrived to find the Old Man was rather the worse for drink. I save embarrassment they put him in the bathtub and told him to keep quiet. The passengers invited for the drink were told that captain had been sent on urgent business. All went well. A bit later, one passenger lady wanted to go to the WC. Before they could point her to the public WC in the alleyway said, "Oh, I know where to go and she barged into the captain's WC. She sat on the throne and suddenly the bath curtain was swished away and there was the captain with a big grin... minus his teeth. The lady gave a shriek and the came was up!

Russel made three of four world cruises in CARONIA... late 1950s. One of reports from the master sent to office, "Mr 'S' had made three cruises in this ship. He seems to have the idea that Cunard's annual World Cruise is put entirely for his own amusement and enjoyment!"

Stephen
Old 23rd May 2020, 23:07
Active: 1973 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.M View Post
Attachment 198167

Took a trip to UK and back on the Australis in 1969. This was a 35mm slide I obtained from the Purser showing the Captain and the engine room telegraphs. Sad end to the old girl.
Looks like his stripes are wrong, surely the flats would be either side of the diamond so its symetrical, unless you have the curl instead of the diamond.
Though I suppose some companies do not follow tradition.
Old 23rd May 2020, 23:54

The master's braid, two straight stripes below and two above with diamond is old style Greek braid. I remember many of this on some ships and also in photos. The stripes were slightly wider and the spacing was different.

Things have changed. A lot of people wear American braid. Cunard uses Norwegian braid... except the Engineers who still use the old Cunard lace.
P&O seem to be using Royal Navy braid. Some of them are copying the RFA diamond style. Italians are not the old braid... now something quite differently.

Stephen
Old Yesterday, 00:23

Greek braid.

Here a sample of old Greek braid. In the photo, the Chief Officer on the t.s.m.s. LAKONIA. Fire and sinking after Christmas 1963.

The uniform is very similar to British style. Even the QM's cap is Brit style.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MS LAKONIA - GREEK LINE .jpg (226.6 KB, 6 views)
Old Yesterday, 00:30

Never heard it called Greek braid, but was Standard MN that you described Stephen, in BSL it was optional to go for RN pattern.

I believe in the RN now they have dropped the Department colours of Purple for Engineers, Green for Electrical & Wireless, Blue for Shipwrights ( only saw that once when officers from a BI ship visited us, chippy was white and crew
????) White for Grocers, Jack Dusty's, Red for Medical.

At a Rememberance parade somebody asked if I was a Surgeon Commander, couldn't tell his red from purple, but had to put him right, 2/E MN. I did read if a MN C/E transferred to the RN he would take the rank of Lt Commander, so loose 11/2 stripes as they have half or a narrow stripe as well.
Old Yesterday, 00:49

Greek braid

The Greek and Brit braid is different. It is just the place of the diamond.

On the Greek (see Captain Zarbis, LAKONIA) shows the two lower straight stripes with the two upper with the diamond. See also the standard MN or UK... the two middle trips are made into the diamond and the straight upper and lower.

The 'Greek braid' was known like that.

I seem to remember that BSL and a few other 'liner' companies wore RN braid, but a much thinner stripe. Union Castle used as well I believe. P&O wore simple shoulder 'flash'. Orient wore a zig zag stripes.

Shaw Savill… straight, no curl, no diamond. Captain & Cheng 4 stripes. Mate and 2/E, 3 stripes, 2nd Mate and 3/E, 2 and a half, 3rd Mate and 4/W had two. 4th Mate and 5/E …. 1 stripe.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lakonia mathios zarbris.jpg (61.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg MN braid.jpg (95.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Stephen J. Card; Yesterday at 01:01..
Old Yesterday, 10:59

Yes, that's the one I know.
It was explained to me once that until you achieve a Certificate you can only wear the half diamond, so J/e, 5/e & 4/e had the same stripe of half a diamond.
This was the stripe that SM Bass put on my uniform when I first went to sea in 1973 and I left it until I became 2/e and then went for the curl. I only sailed two voyages (4-6 month a voyage) in each rank apart from 3/e which was 3 months before being made up to 2/E.
The 3/e could put an extra stripe up but still the half diamond.
I have also seen the likes of the Chief Freezer with 3 straight stripes and Chief Lecky the same or with a diamond if he had HNC.
A lot of Chief Freezers were 3/e's, did not want to go for 2nds, but did a side step as Freezer, often had sailed as 2nd Freezer in their early days. There was the odd Freezer that served their time ashore on refrigeration, so quick promotion to Chief Freezer. At one time before a 2nd went Chief he would do a few voyages as Chief Freezer (those would have been the days of Snr 2nds, J2's, Snr3rd and J3's), bit like when you did sea time for an endorsement, you may be classed as xtra 2nd ( steam or motor time), so you retained your status and sat on the top table with the OM.

The only time a comment would be made on stripes was if you put your curly eppaulettes on the wrong shoulder in tropical uniform and go into the saloon, then it would be a case of beer for the lads. A social fine as it were. And there were a few of those.

Last edited by sternchallis; Yesterday at 11:05..
Old Yesterday, 11:17

Take a walk on some cruise ships and will have 'Cruise Director' with the same amount of gold as OM, Chief , Hotel Manager etc!
Old Yesterday, 12:08

Stephen,
That's one type of ship ( if you can call them that) I won't be going on.

So what is a cruise director? Is he in charge of all the dancers, hairstylists and anybody that doesn't run the ship.
I assume the hotel manager is a cross between the Grocer and the head waiter a grand title for the old Chief Steward.

That is a different world. The old Saga Rose was more traditional in ranks and jobs.
Old Yesterday, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternchallis View Post
Stephen,
That's one type of ship ( if you can call them that) I won't be going on.

So what is a cruise director? Is he in charge of all the dancers, hairstylists and anybody that doesn't run the ship.
I assume the hotel manager is a cross between the Grocer and the head waiter a grand title for the old Chief Steward.

That is a different world. The old Saga Rose was more traditional in ranks and jobs.

There are Cruise Directors and there are Cruise Directors! The best of them are worth their weight in gold. Some of new CD's are very young and little experience and it shows. The cruise lines (some of them) because they can promote and pay peanuts!

Some fine CD's in Saga Rose.. like Tony Dent. Saw him of the SoD just last Xmas. Just as rude as before! Everyone misses the ROSE!

Ah, a photo taken on the ROSE final cruise. The tall fellow in the light coloured jacket? Recognise him? Had dinner a few times with him. I told him a bad joke... well in poor taste. He loved it! Here it is: What is green and 6 ft tall?

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROSE FINAL (7).jpg (208.1 KB, 7 views)