Ships Nostalgia banner

Rose

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Shipbuilder 
#1 ·
Current build, Norwegian motorship ROSE of 1938. 32'=1".

See less See more
#2 ·
Made a bit more progress today. Hatches & deck machinery completed & fitted. Forward bulwarks panelled. Bridge bulwarks fitted.
This style of ship modelling has now virtually died out with few people prepared to venture beyond the realms of the kit. The demand for such models amongst collecters seems to be insatiable (fortunately for coves like me). The story of the Merchant Navy, I guess - a decline followed by a lamont for the past!

#6 ·
Hi Mike,
Thanks for reply. The models are quite easily recognisable by the general style, but the pen confirms it. If I don't put it in the picture, a lot of people think they are a lot larger than they are!
ROSE is almost complete now. Only a few minor deck fittings & the rigging left to do. The display case & carrying case were completed a few days ago. Rigging on a miniature of this type is no big deal & I hope to complete it later today in order to take it along to North West Model Shipwrights (Chorley, Lancs), tomorrow, 14th June. Visitors welcome if anyone want to come along. Few ex MN & RN members there at every meeting.
Bob

Attachments

#8 ·
Hi Neil,
I remember Len Lloyd quite well, but he resigned "in protest" a number of years ago. He objected to the fact that all types of model from plastic kits upwards were welcome at the society. However, if we had restricted membership to dockyard quality models of Napoleonic sailing ships, we would have disappeared long ago. As far as I know, he is still active in nautical research etc as we hear of him from time to time.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.