Silver Guava merchant navy ship - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Silver Guava merchant navy ship

User Tag List

Old 15th June 2020, 13:21

Hello Edward,
Thanks for posting the page from your dads Mathmatical tables.
Hugh has given you the links.
The first link he gave was to the series BT372. "Seamans Pouch's.

These records relate to individual seamen filed together in a pouch. These documents may include application forms, certificates, identity cards,(most with a photograph of the seaman) cessation documents and notifications of death.
As these documents relate to an individual and are catalogued as such, they should be easy to find and copy, therefore, theoretically, they should be relatively cheap. I have long given up on how TNA fix a charge for copying. You would need to ask for a quote.

The second link Hugh gave was to the series BT382. Because these records are in blocks of 60 names, TNA would consider it research and charge accordingly. Again it appears that no fixed fee is applicable. I have heard of people being quoted £80 plus!

In all honesty. you would be advised to visit Kew yourself. you can the view both sets of documents for free and whilst there extend your research to maybe look at the logbooks of the vessels he sailed on.
If it's problematic for you to visit Kew. Let me know and I will attempt to take a look for you next time I visit. Whenever that may be.

regards
Roger
Old 15th June 2020, 22:38

Fantastic Hugh
Thank you so much
From memory (my sister has them) he had three medals.

You have give me/us great leads.
Wonderful.
Old 16th June 2020, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Griffiths View Post
<snipped>
In all honesty. you would be advised to visit Kew yourself. you can the view both sets of documents for free and whilst there extend your research to maybe look at the logbooks of the vessels he sailed on.
If it's problematic for you to visit Kew. Let me know and I will attempt to take a look for you next time I visit. Whenever that may be.

regards
Roger
Thank you once again for helping to crack the code.

Life is about timing is it not ... I was in the UK in December !
If only I had known this then

So I shall have to wait until some point in the future ... I have shared our correspondence with my sister in Perth, I am in Melbourne, and I find it a strange coincidence that some of our father's voyages brought him here. Although he never mentioned Australia, he did say from his voyages that he loved the Seattle / Vancouver area.

As a family we might decide to pay TNA fees or we might prevail upon your kind offer at some time in the future !

For now I will keep trying to peer through the scrubbed names and decipher them !
Old 17th June 2020, 07:06

Reading The Above Post I Can see How Hard To Get Info On A Relertive, I Have Been On The Web To TNA Site From Australia, TNA Is Closed At The Moment So I Managed To Get The Following My Mothers Father Started As cadet With BI,FREDERICK HERBERT RENDELL D.O.B. 28/10/1904 Cricklewoods ID Number 219986,Discharge Number R17142, Managed To Get From TNA 1944-1945 referance BT391/91/208 What Information Would This Show? I Will Have To Wait Till The TNA Reopens? Many Thanks If Any Help Here Cheers To All VMR.
Old 17th June 2020, 09:02
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Hi vmr,
BT 391/91/208 is his Combined Office Merchant Navy Operations [COMNO] Pouch. It indicates he had service during or shortly after the Normandy campaign. The pouch will indicate what ship he was serving on at the time but as per many pouches the contents are a hit or a miss. I would suggest that the main record you need to obtain from TNA Kew is his CRS 10 [service record] which will detail all his ships beginning January, 1941. The link to the file is BT 382/1496 unfortunately this file is best obtained by visit to Kew or via a researcher.

He has a CR10 card with id photo along with a CR1 card from the Fourth Register of Seamen and he appears to have served int the following ships:

120471 – CARPENTARIA – 3.1921
141920 – NARDANA – 6.12.1926

The list is more than likely incomplete for service prior to 1941 as the cards are known to have mistakes and omissions. If you do not already have them I am happy to send on via email if you wish. Just private message your email to me.

Hope that helps.

*same offer applies to you Edward if you wish the documents I have for Edward Greenaway just pass on your email by pm.

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”

Last edited by Hugh MacLean; 17th June 2020 at 11:10..
Old 17th June 2020, 12:25

Hello vmr,
Will Have To Wait Till The TNA Reopens?
I am afraid so. As far as I know most TNA staff have been furloughed.
His form CRS10 is the key to this one. Once you have obtained it you can then backtrack via crew agreements and with a little luck, find all of the vessels he sailed.

I make the same offer to you as I made to Edward.

"If it's problematic for you to visit Kew. Let me know and I will attempt to take a look for you next time I visit. Whenever that may be."

regards
Roger
Old 18th June 2020, 00:27

Hi To HUGH & Roger, Many Thanks For Your Great Help,A Bit Hard Being In Australia And At 80 Years Dont Think I Will Be Able To Get To The UK, TNA Is A Hard Site To Navigate! Ill PM My Email Addresse Many Thanks Again Cheers VMR