BP 42s midships layout - Ships Nostalgia
08:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP 42s midships layout

User Tag List

Old 5th September 2019, 18:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1966

My location
BP 42s midships layout

can anyone recall the Nav Officers cabin layout on the 42's like Judge, Power etc,, considered super tankers in the 60's.
I recall the daytime C/O had two rooms on the starboard side, maybe followed by the 2/O, I know the 3/O was in the center, his port overlooked the flying bridge, Then the watching keeping 1st Officer, then maybe the old man on port side or perhaps he was on bridge deck.

yes that's right 2 x 1st officers one senior as daytime non watch keeping. we had maybe 50 crew in total, probably 18 crew or less
these days.

I am framing a picture of Judge, even though I was on it as 3/O, can't remember the layout. I do remember the accommodation was very good compared to the 12 16 and 32's.
Old 5th September 2019, 19:34

Holystone, interesting to read your post on the BP 42s. Surprised you say they were regarded as super tankers in the sixties.
Shell had the following classes of ships around that time:-

"I" class 62,000 dwt from 1955
"S" class 72,000 dwt from 1961
"O" class 55,000 dwt from 1963
"D" class 71,000 dwt from 1966
and then the "N" class 117,000 dwt from 1968

I can vividly recall as a kid back in 1959 being taken down to the North Pier at Mena Al Ahmadi by my dad to watch the berthing of the "Universe Apollo", at 104,500 dwt, the biggest tanker in the world. That decided me on my Career at sea!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg universe apollo.jpg (19.5 KB, 34 views)

" For those in peril of the sea ......."
Old 5th September 2019, 20:37
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

My first trip was on the "British Power" As a Cadet ! The Eng Cadets cabins where midships on the Starboard side, at the rear of the of the lower deck accommodation. Two cabins, with double bunk beds. Hope that helps ?

P.S I sailed on the Judge, First trip after my apprenticeship. Loved it so much, I quit after 1 month !

Last edited by stevekelly10; 5th September 2019 at 20:40..
Old 5th September 2019, 23:03
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1980

If memory serves me right Holystone, the Leckies cabin was facing forward at the end of the starboard alleyway, with the 3/E to port with the rest of the engineers spread about a bit! I don't recall what I had to starboard.

Were the O/M, Choff, C/E and 2/E upstairs(good seagoing terminology) along with the Sparks?

I think the Destiny was a similar layout.

Its getting on for 50 years ago now so the brain box is fading a little.
Roger.
Old 6th September 2019, 07:41

I never sailed on a 42, but the queen 50.00dwt Here the engineers were all aft.
Midships was master, plus owners upper deck. next deck down. Starboard CO, XCO, 2/O and 3/0, R/O, down the sides deck cadets and Chief Steward, and in the centre the saloon/rec room and pantry, under that the midships castle- stores?

Last edited by david freeman; 6th September 2019 at 07:45.. Reason: memory
Old 8th September 2019, 09:34
Active: 1958 - 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlythSpirit View Post
Holystone, interesting to read your post on the BP 42s. Surprised you say they were regarded as super tankers in the sixties.
Shell had the following classes of ships around that time:-

"I" class 62,000 dwt from 1955
"S" class 72,000 dwt from 1961
"O" class 55,000 dwt from 1963
"D" class 71,000 dwt from 1966
and then the "N" class 117,000 dwt from 1968

I can vividly recall as a kid back in 1959 being taken down to the North Pier at Mena Al Ahmadi by my dad to watch the berthing of the "Universe Apollo", at 104,500 dwt, the biggest tanker in the world. That decided me on my Career at sea!
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Shell had anything as large as 62,000 dwt in 1955. The only company with anything of that size in 1955 would be Daniel Ludwig's. I also saw Universe Apollo at Mena in 1959 whilst aboard BP's British Glory (32,000 dwt.).
The term 'Supertanker' appeared to come into use in the very early 1950s - at least in the UK - when both BP & Shell started to build tankers over 25,000 dwt, BP with the British Adventure & Shell with the Velutina, both of 28,000 dwt in 1951. Most of BP's 42,000 dwt class, including British Judge, were built in 1958/59 & were certainly regarded as supertankers at that time.
As we all know, tankers became progressively larger throughout the '60s & '70s, eventually with the nomenclature graduating to VLCC & ULCC but supertanker was certainly the term used during the '50s & '60s.
Old 8th September 2019, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by holystone View Post
can anyone recall the Nav Officers cabin layout on the 42's like Judge, Power etc,, considered super tankers in the 60's.
I recall the daytime C/O had two rooms on the starboard side, maybe followed by the 2/O, I know the 3/O was in the center, his port overlooked the flying bridge, Then the watching keeping 1st Officer, then maybe the old man on port side or perhaps he was on bridge deck.

yes that's right 2 x 1st officers one senior as daytime non watch keeping. we had maybe 50 crew in total, probably 18 crew or less
these days.

I am framing a picture of Judge, even though I was on it as 3/O, can't remember the layout. I do remember the accommodation was very good compared to the 12 16 and 32's.
Hi Holystone,
Whilst I never served on a 42, I thought that the R/O also had a cabin on the front, next to the Old Man's. Chief Steward probably on the port side & apprentices on the starboard side. All engineers on the deck below. Officers' saloon aft on the port side.
Old 8th September 2019, 21:25

Hi Holystone,

Just came across this from a few years ago on this site, posted by Barnsey:

"This accommodation plan was to be found on the Birdies, this era of 35's and the 42's made all the more spacious because the saloon was down aft on the port side in front of the Galley.

Mates on the deck below the bridge, from port to stbd ...Old man then 2nd mate then the 3rd mate and the Mate on the stbd side. Nav Apps at the aft end stbd side, R/O and Ch Stwd port side with the Showers and toilets between them and the old mans accommodation.

Flying bridge deck was the Engineers with the Smokeroom central facing the flying bridge opening out onto a suitable space for the Table Tennis Table!!

Aft accommodation the PO's were on the funnel deck with the Catering staff down below them the deck crew and firemen, as ever port and starboard of the main deck.

Really the best accommodation plan of all the ships I reckon."

Hope that jogs a few memories.
Old 9th September 2019, 02:29
Active: 1958 - 1966

My location
Thanks for all the replies, I have a better idea now of the Nav deck layout. Somewhat embarrassing to admit I can't exactly remember it even after my 7 months as 3/O. but it was 56 years ago.
Old 9th September 2019, 08:08

BPTwitcher your right of course, it should have been 1965 for the I class French shell ships which were jumboized from around 30 dwt

" For those in peril of the sea ......."