Booth Line - Page 9 - Ships Nostalgia
02:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Booth Line

User Tag List

Old 27th November 2019, 11:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1997

Boniface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hay View Post
Hi Duquesa and Caffj, these are the times I was on Booth boats.
Viajero April 59- April 60 as 4th Engineer
Basil Dec 60- Feb 61 as 3rd
Valiente Oct 61 -June 63 as 2nd
Boniface Nov 64 -Dec 64 as 2nd.
Yes I remember old Stan Witkowski well. Bit temperamental at times but otherwise great Chief to work under. Had some amusing twists of the tongue with his English into the bargain.
without a doubt those trips to Brazil and Peru were the best times of my life like yourselves.
Just been looking through my discharge book...Boniface Sept 1964/Dec 1964...I was Second Mate, think Mackereth was Master
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:41
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by duquesa View Post
...The reason for including this is that I believe the engineer sitting in the middle looking round, is the Geoff Laws mentioned in posts above.
Great to see Geoff again, although he was a bit older when I sailed with him on Viajero, on what was then his second sortie.

We were together for a year in 1966/67, initially as 3/E and 4/E until Frank Stinchcombe went home after six months, and Geoff moved into the Second's cabin and I became 3/E. It was quite an experience sailing with Geoff AND the irascible Frank Stinchcombe with his Casey Jones cap, National Health Specs and his rolling West Country accent. No one could make a Cuba Libre like Frank.
Old 19th February 2020, 00:18
Active: 1973 - 1983

Good News

I am pleased to report that www.bluestarline.org* is alive again.

Jim Blake the custodian and webmaster may have to carry out a few tweaks in the background so it may be off ocassionally in the month, but from what I have seen there are no scavenge fires or trailing anchors and the gyro is running true and it appears to operate quite smoothly.
So we look forward to some sea stories from the roaring 20th century, you have written them on SN, why not repeat them on BSl.

This website is not just for BSL, but L&H and Booth Line.
Old 23rd February 2020, 21:56
Department: Navigation
Active: 1952 - 2010

As an undeserving receipient of a bursary provided by Booth Line for the years 1948 to 1952 my family was able to have the fees they would need to pay to see me through four years at the Nautical College Pangbourne. reduced by about L75.00.00 p.a , or approximately L300.00.00 in all.

This has always weighed heavily on my conscience throughout my life and before I finally 'pay my dues', I would like to return this money. Who is the successor company to Booth Line.I am afraid it would have to be paid in 1948 pounds and not 2020 ones after allowing for inflation!

Nick
Old 24th February 2020, 11:43

Nick,

I am sure that post was Tongue in Cheek, shipping companies were not known for their generosity, so if you got a freeby, good for you. If you had joined Booth Line or any other shipping company following your studies at Pangbourne ( its just up the road from where I live in Thatcham) you will no doubt have paid it back with interest. It would have been a charitable tax dodge on their part.
Don't let this weight of £300 weigh on your conscience. In those days I am sure a volunteer was much better than ten pressed men ( read pool).

Booth Line was sold to Blue Star in 1946 which predates your bursary.
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/booth.shtml

Looks like Booth Line and Blue Star were passing ships to and thro prior to 1946 and when they were beyond their sail by date sold to the Greeks in several instances, who no doubt after a year or two had a claim against their insurance company over a mysterious sinking with a full load of cargo, reclaiming the full cost of buying the ship from Blue Star. And thats business.

The Blue Starline website is back on line, so if you wish to add your experiences in the Log book, it is open for business.

Like SN you will have to 'sign on articles' to contribute which is par for the coarse with forums but reading the rest of the site is open.
Old 24th February 2020, 16:56
Department: Navigation
Active: 1952 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternchallis View Post
Nick,

I am sure that post was Tongue in Cheek, shipping companies were not known for their generosity, so if you got a freeby, good for you. If you had joined Booth Line or any other shipping company following your studies at Pangbourne ( its just up the road from where I live in Thatcham) you will no doubt have paid it back with interest. It would have been a charitable tax dodge on their part.
Don't let this weight of £300 weigh on your conscience. In those days I am sure a volunteer was much better than ten pressed men ( read pool).

Booth Line was sold to Blue Star in 1946 which predates your bursary.
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/booth.shtml

Looks like Booth Line and Blue Star were passing ships to and thro prior to 1946 and when they were beyond their sail by date sold to the Greeks in several instances, who no doubt after a year or two had a claim against their insurance company over a mysterious sinking with a full load of cargo, reclaiming the full cost of buying the ship from Blue Star. And thats business.

The Blue Starline website is back on line, so if you wish to add your experiences in the Log book, it is open for business.

Like SN you will have to 'sign on articles' to contribute which is par for the coarse with forums but reading the rest of the site is open.
Yes, there was a little tongue in cheek in my message but I find myself heading rapidly towards my nineties with a healthy balance in my bank account, so if Booth Line's successors are not to benefit please recommend a worthy marine charity in the UK I can help.I am a bit out of touch with such things!

Thanks,

Nick
Old 4th March 2020, 06:34

my great great grandfather sailed on the Booth liner Ambrose 1 around 1873 - wondering if there are ships logs etc for those voyagers
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:05

Amazon Rains

Been thinking a lot about the Booth ships I served in on the Amazon and how this latest virus is affecting the people in Brazil so badly....In my experience I found the average Brazilian to be very kind and generous as well as being very Loyal, especially the Brazilian crews I sailed with. Being in my eighties now I find it hard to remember what I had for dinner last night but.......experiences during my seagoing time are so clear. This morning I started laughing uncontrollably...my wife asks what the matter was. I had to explain what I was laughing at. Ex Booth line stalwarts will remember the awnings that we used to rig up in the hot weather....especially on Cyril, Cuthbert, Crispin. I also remember in the torrential rains of the river how the awnings used to fill up and become like giant balloons hanging down....it was usual practice to take a broom an push up to clear the water (I am laughing typing this) This particular morning must of been in Belem or Manaus and went out on deck picked up the broom and with the head pushed up to clear the water...followed by screams from below I had only soaked the stevedores coming onboard up the gangway with gallons of water. I was not a very popular person I can tell you.

Last edited by Foca; 3rd June 2020 at 14:10..
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:30
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1967 - 1977

I remember (I think) the heavy deluges that seemed to arrive in the early morning. The cool wind was refreshing at the time. The loads of insects deposited in the scuppers, some the size of dinner plates, (a slight exaggeration).
When we carried passengers, the Cpt at the time Johnny Needham, would find any excuse for a BBQ. Yes, the awning was there, with the appropriate broom.
Happy days even with the mossies and ‘Limecol’
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:43

m.v.Berwell Adventure....ex "Bernard".........January 1974 to August 1974( Special re

m.v.Berwell Adventure....ex "Bernard".........January 1974 to August 1974( Special request by David Lorimer)
In early 1974 I was warned by the Booth office that I would be required to fly out to Gulfport MS. USA to take command of the "Berwell Adventure" ex Bernard. So about the middle of the month saw myself, Bashir Chowdrey Chief Officer, Les Collins 2/0. Bill Halewood C/E and a Second Engineer whose name I should remember, and last but not least Alfie Boyce Catering Superintendent and ,Billy Deary Cat Officer, on a flight to New York and down to Gulfport on Eastern Airlines.
The previous year a deal had been struck between Booth America and an outfit called Overseas Marine Inc, Panama for a long term charter of the ship...but the ship was arrested in Gulfport for not paying its way..And had writs on the wheelhouse windows amounted to over 2.5 million dollars. We were put up in a motel just over the way from where the "Berwell Adventure" was berthed, and after a night's sleep we walked down to the ship in the morning. The ship was rat infested, filthy as all the rooms were covered in soot from the fires the crew had been burning wood in their rooms to keep warm, the galley stoves likewise were buckled from being used as wood burners. Nothing in the Engine-room worked and the bilges were full of oily water up to the plates...hatches had been left open and the remains of the fertilizer that had been part loaded and then discharged had rusted all the hatches, none of the deck winches worked...I could go on and on but the ship was a complete mess. The crew had not been paid and left, leaving only a Greek mate who promoted himself to Captain and his belly dancer partner, who lived ashore: and a stowaway Costa Rican who could not leave the ship. The Greek Captain and his partner arrived in the afternoon arrived in the afternoon and handed over the keys to the room and safe....he handed me a 22 calibre revolver, which I told him he could keep as British ships did not carry firearms. He did not like it when he found we had changed the locks on the Bonded Stores...getting quite agitated, saying the bond did not belong to us but to some Mr Something or other in New York, until I had to throw them both off the ship. It became quite obvious that he was taking cigarettes and booze from the ship and selling them ashore, or how otherwise could he, the belly dancer and the stowaway survive. That night the police phoned up to warn me that the Greek had purchased a revolver that afternoon. The local agents seemed to have the impression that I was some sort of Company Trouble shooter....but we heard no more from the Greek, we bumped into his partner one day in the Supermarket and she shot off like a scalded cat.
So we had a plan of attack what we had to do to get the ship ready for sea....as I had been advised that we were to load a full cargo for Iquitos Peru as soon as possible. First thing was to get the ship fumigated, which meant asking permission for the stowaway to go ashore for a few days. Over the days we made arrangements for the crew to join, putting them up ashore. Slowly the days passed into weeks the ship was being cleaned up and repaired. Stores being ordered and delivered. The Stowaway was still living on the ship and I had made a deal with him, for a weekly allowance that he would look after my interests on the ship whilst we were not there. One night a gale blew up and I had a phone call from the Police on the gate that the stowaway had been there, and he needed me at the ship. I woke Bill Halewood and we walked down to the ship in the wind and rain. As the ship had been moved a few times and with no power on the ship, the ropes were only hand tight...so the wind had blown the ship off the quay side.....so the guy had climbed down the mooring ropes called me and climbed back up. Away the ropes were all secure and we thanked him and walked back home again.
A month or so passed and we were ready to move onboard but first I had to fly up the Atlanta and get the ships transferred at the British Consul there. The hotel we stayed at decided to throw us a farewell party that night and hopefully I should be back in time for that. Eastern Airlines got me safely to Atlanta and I was finished quite handy at the Consul Generals and back in the airport in plenty of time for the flight, which would get me back for about 1900hrs. Plane took off and I was settling down to the flight enjoying a drink before we came in the land at Mobile....next thing we are banked over flying round and round the control tower were there are people looking up at the plane with binoculars...what's wrong now says I. Next thing we level off and fly away from the airport and the Captain comes on the public address system to advise we are going to Pensacola Fl to make an emergency landing as the port landing gear will not lock down. Well there were people fainting and crying..The cabin crew were marvellous in handling the situation, all the hand luggage was stowed in the after toilets and anything that moved was secured. Trust me to be sitting by an emergency door, so I was given instructions how to open it in an emergency. Time came for the landing in Pensacola, more crying and screaming..we were all in the brace position, heads down as we came in to land....I just popped my head up to look out of the window as we came in the land...the runway was covered in foam and the fire tenders and emergency vehicles were running alongside us. The cut a long story short the landing gear held up and we landed safely. I had made friends with this big Texan on the flight and we both went into the restaurant for the free meal we had been offered, we just tucking in to a nice juicy steak and we got the call to board our flight....they had given us an earlier flight, more or less given us the flight other people were booked. We had the same crew as before and the drinks can thick and fast....got back to Gulfport at midnight feeling no pain, hotel driver picked me up and drove me home....everyone except Bashir was in bed so I missed the party...but what a story to tell my grandchildren.
The next day we moved from our motel to the ship..The day of reckoning had come at last, still a lot of work to do about the accommodation but at least we were stepping in the right direct. Whilst we had been living ashore a lot of the single crew members had struck up relationships with the local, and I was advised that money was changing hands that we would breakdown and have to return. So a few days later we had stand by Engines, the old Doxfords started up, the tugs nudged us out of the dock and we headed west to New Orleans. Picked to pilot up at the South Pass and proceeded on our way upriver........our speed was not to terrific but considering the current I suppose it was not bad...approaching New Orleans our speed was very slow and we had to change pilots. Eventually we docked in New Orleans and I was glad of the rest.....it was only then that Bill Halewood, informed me that they had isolated three cylinders on the way up, I had not told me in case I worried.....so we made it against all odds and things were looking up. Next day we received our stores as usual our New York Catering Superintendent, delivered the dreaded "Embassy" branded goods, nobody liked to stuff but that was all we got for years.....considering the circumstances we were living in I thought it was disgusting. One thing I had forgot to mention was the first night I slept in my cabin...I awoke to hear this scampering noise and scratching noise, put the light on no sign of anything in the room, but the noise was coming from the deckhead..The dreaded rats. Next day Chippy and I cut holes in the deckhead and placed rat poison inside and sealed the holes up again......after a few days the noise abated but there was a smell in the room for ages.
We started loading oil pipes and drilling mud for Iquitos and after a couple of days were ready to sail again. One little incident happened whilst we were alongside one of the engineers mistakenly opened the wrong value and pumped some oil into the dock...Coast Guard were not very pleased, but after I accepted responsibility and offered to pay for the oil to be cleaned to matter was settled. Sailed that evening got clear of the passes and headed West again to Houston, the ship whilst under the new owners had been fitted with a Loran C receiver, which was a bit complicated to set up but was very handy in navigation in bad weather....so fog and mists at least were heading in the right direction. We were soon sailing up Galveston Bay, passed the Battleship Texas and up the Buffalo Bayou to our berth, and at least the weather was warm now getting into March. Quite a few oil companies were involved in the shipments to Iquitos notably BP, Occidental and a few others I cannot remember, the manager from Occidental had made himself known in New Orleans and explained what he needed in loading order. Loading progressed and myself, Chief Officer and Second mate were kept busy each day during loading. Apart from a complete Oil rig for BP, we loaded oil pipes, DC 8 Caterpillar Tractors, complete Sleeping, Kitchen and hospital units on deck and lots and lots of item all requiring careful stowage in including a small box which contained radioactive material which we stowed on top of the poop deck. We were at least two weeks loading in Houston, New York Managers did arrive and spent a couple of hours on the ship but did not take part in any of the loading or give any advice. We lost Bill Halewood and 2nd Engineer who did not want to make the trip with us......The new Chief Engineer was 73 years old, and advised he was only here for this certificate...a new second engineer also arrived. On the last day of loading the Chief Stevedore came up to my room rather sheepishly and said that they had been ordered not to give us a bonus which was usual in these circumstances, maybe that's why the New York Managers came down for the pickings.
Glad to be clear of Houston and back at sea heading for Pensacola to load explosives. We arrived at Pensacola early morning and started loading, seemingly the explosives train had travelled through the town at night...we finished loading late afternoon and the Coast Guard ordered us to sail immediately. Anchored off Port of Spain to bunker and then proceeded to Belem, Manaus were we loaded extra cargo, certainly wanted their monies worth out of the ship. Passage up the Amazon was a lot faster on the "Berwell Adventure" as she was a lot faster than the regular ships....frontier was passed with no problems and we arrived Iquitos in good time. We had to anchor off due to the explosives, the agents wanted us to anchor opposite the town to show off the ship, this was not our usual safe anchorage but it was no use arguing. Anyway it was pandemonium, I think all the small boats in Iquitos were coming alongside to pick up their cargo; in the end it was like a small island round the ship. Anyway I went down for breakfast and was just settling down to eat, when I noticed the river bank going past. On the bridge I realized that we were dragging downstream, by now all the small boats were breaking clear with David Lorimer shooing them off. Got the engines going and just at that time the Peruvian Navy and Air force pasted us travelling upstream....what a situation. Still I managed to get the anchors up although we had the two cables fouled in each other. Steamed down to our usual anchor point....got the second mate to hold the ship against the tide whilst I shot forward to help the mate clear the anchors. Once that was done we anchored safely and it was time again to have a bite of well earned breakfast. What a morning.
Discharge went on daily it took a day to discharge the explosives, a Peruvian Army Major(Explosives unit) came onboard to oversee the discharge...the receiver had only one barge so the explosives and detonators we had loaded separate, were loaded on the same barge. The Major was doing his nut and we were all glad to see the barge leave late afternoon...Gracias a dios says the Major. Next day when he came back to get me to sign some papers he was none too pleased said that the barge owner had tied up and spent the night close to the city centre. The Occidental guy arrived and helped with the discharge of his equipment...and a few days later the BP contingent arrived...by now we had berthed at the pontoon. Barges were coming and going daily to load equipment for the journey upstream to Pucallpa.......took us over two weeks to get discharged.
Eventually discharge was completed and we left Iquitos and headed downstream:
The homeward trip is another story and I really have not got down to writing it yet. Needless to say we arrived back in Liverpool...with all the debts cleared and the ship was sold
Special request by David Lorimer

Last edited by Foca; 3rd June 2020 at 14:48..
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:24
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1965 - Present

Hail Foca! Finally the world will learn of this BAdventure. Isn't it the thing about small companies that we got to do sometimes pretty extraordinary things (and sometimes some rather dumb ones). And lived to tell the tale. Foca, I've already started on the follow-up!
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:53

Berwell Adventure Iquitos

Pictures of Berwell Adventure at Iquitos.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img004.jpg (105.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg img082.jpg (131.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg img085.jpg (145.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg img090.jpg (100.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg img091.jpg (111.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Foca; 3rd June 2020 at 18:55..
Old 4th June 2020, 11:20

http://www.bluestarline.org/lamports/siddons3.html

Excellent account there FOCA, see email I sent you.
The link just shows how convoluted the shipping industry was as the ship changes hands then comes back.

With the funnel and long weather forcastle she could easily have gone over to Blue Star, just with a paint job on the funnel. A typical Vestey trademark and ' woe betide' if all your funnel floods were not working, especially on the land side, if he happened to be visiting that port. The OM, C/E and Lecky would be in for a rocket.

Is Bill Halewood still about?
Old 4th June 2020, 14:07

Vestey Ship Visits

Vestey Ship Visits from what I remember
It was quite common for Ronald Vestey to visit ships of Booth, Lamport, Blue Star and Act line in the port of Liverpool, whilst he was also visiting his Refrigeration plants in the area. I think I was on the “Cyril” in Brunswick dock on one occasion when I got the call to come back of leave for one such visit. I think there were five group ships in port at the time and nobody knew which ship he would visit.....so five special breakfasts had to be prepared...And I remember Dewhurst’s Farmhouse sausage had to be on the menu. He used to travel down on the night train from London and the visit would take place anytime after 0530 in the morning. So there I was five thirty standing at the gangway awaiting a visit if it came...and sure enough it did. The tour of the ship started on the Focslehead were he would point out the rust stain from driving through a gale on the way home and the rust stain coming from hawse pipe...next down all the hatches with the crocodile queue following behind, with his body guard ex guardsman not far from his side..Down the engine room, down the tunnel with the queue still behind about turn..back up on the Bridge and Monkey island, were he usually got a little penknife out to test the wood decking....then back down to a passenger cabin for a quick wash and brush up before going down for breakfast.....questions about the voyage and Brazil....then by seven he was gone...That is what I remember and latterly usually at the end of long voyage I used to be called down to Smithfield to his Offices there for questions on the voyage, which would entail travelling down by train the day before staying in a hotel overnight before arriving in the office before eight......usually over in half-hour then the staff would take you out for lunch before travelling home.
Bill Halewood, I certainly have not heard of him since the demise of Booths and Lamport... I know Della St Roas was in touch with him before Ned passed away....and was quite upset that he never took the trouble to come down and see Ned before he died, considering all the hospitality they had given him in their home in Brazil
Old 4th June 2020, 20:52
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1965 - Present

God, those photos, Foca! Surely taken after anchoring more safely downstream, after the drama. Can't recall your tremendously strong granddad ChOff to your right, but Ron and Derek from BP and Maurizio d'Achille.

Vestey visits, I remember Tom McCutcheon tearing a strip off s/n me on Cuthbert when I appeared in cut-off jeans just before a visit from Edmund in Barbados. Bless him.

Last edited by David Lorimer; 4th June 2020 at 20:55..
Old 5th June 2020, 08:16

Hi David
Actually Pat took those pictures, I was too busy on the ship at the time....the guy you mention on my right was Les Collins from the I.O.M...He was usually part of the relief gang in Liverpool as were most of the engineers on that trip..Bribed with a bonus at the end of voyage. I did try to get in touch with Les when we were in Ramsey.....but he did not remember who I was, very sad
Big abraço
LLoyd