Ships Nostalgia banner

R/O's - ex Plymouth College 1960's

24K views 63 replies 16 participants last post by  benhope66 
#1 ·
I keep in touch with several R/O's and REO's from Plymouth days, and am thinking of orgainising a website to assist contact with one another.
Are there any R/O's who trained at Plymouth with lecturers Ted Howarth, Dave Miller, Alec Ward, 'Robbie' Robinson, Joe Rowe, Mitchell, Crowther, Alan Pink??​

Les Edge***be
Devon.

#38 · (Edited)
Re the 1972 - 75 3 year MRRT course.

1972 was the first year that 3 yr course was run. Some colleges ran the MRGC alongside the MRRT eg Brunel Bristol. Some just the MRGC and some larger ones the MRRT only.

When the Sept 1972 started at Plymouth CFE Durnford St Annex close to the Royal marine barracks Stonehouse, it was the MRGC course . A short while into the first term we were told by Nr Mitchel we were now on a 3 year course.

We were split into 2 groups. One was taught by Mr Hogan and I was in his class. The other was taught by Mr Mitchell who was head of the course. Tbe 2 classes came together for morse and regs taught by Mr (Alan) Pink. The morse room was at the top of the building.The was a female Maths teacher. Also a general studies one came in to. The lab work was taken by Mr Pink down at the old Keyham Devonport dockyard tech. Think it was Friday morning for the class I was in. Spent the lunch break walking back. Also had to walk over to Old Devonport tech for typing.

The sports lectureres at Ernisettle were John Vordin and Roger Collings.

There was also an Easter intake 1972 on the MRGC taken by Graham Sargent. They were the last lot to transfer in 2nd year to the Poly Building.

I left at end of first year and transferred to Brunel Bristol.

I did however take the 6 month MEC Autumn 77 to Spring 78 at Plymouth Poly. Pete Yarwood and another lecturer who hadn't been at sea took most of the lectures, but not all.
Alec Ward who had taught there went to Redifon and then Electronics Supt at CP Ships. He was my boss when I was ER/O with CP Ships. Alec died 2002.

#40 ·
Alan Pink and Pete Yarwood, (lectured at Manchester's Brooks Bar radio school in 1958/59 when I took my 2nd Class PMG) were lecturing at Plymouth Tech in 1966, when they ran a 3/4 months-long (August to December) prototype MED course, being trialled jointly by Plymouth and Marconi.

Another ex-Brooks Bar lecturer, Terry Crowther, was also involved. Terry, Pete and Alan were most amused to see me there and took delight in recalling incidents from my earlier days. Ted Howarth was steering the course but gave no lectures and Jock Robinson was involved with lectures and practical training on CCTV and other video systems.

Seems a long time ago.

#41 · (Edited)
Ron. Around end 1971 beginning 1972, I went to career convention at Plymouth Guildhall. This, of course, was before rhe sex disc act end 1975. My parents thought I was gpung to enquire about a general engineering course. I saw this as my opportunity. I had already decided I wanted to be on rhe Radio Offs course. I had physics O level (three sciences, Maths etc so I knew I had the righr qualifucations. I went up to the college lecturere who was responsible for that course. I managed about one sentence when I told him I really wanted to go on Rad Offs one. "What are you talking to me for then and said this is rhe man you need to be talking to" He was standing next to him and was Mr MitchelI . Ihad been told be the students already on Rad Offs course that they didn't take women. He immediaty said I am taking you to the Marconi stand. He kept on at Mr Marconi man who hadn't had a chance to talk to me. Will you give her a job at end of course. Also told him "If he didn't agree to it he wouldn't take me on. Mr Marconi man didn't seem to want to answer. Mr Mitchel kept going on repeating . Mr Marconi man finally said a sort of yes and I waa then left at the Marconi stand to talk to him. Mr Marconi man then said that if he got a bad report back from a woman at sea he would treat it in a totally different way to a man getting a bad report. I took that as meaning I might not last at sea long. I ended up directly employed by Shell and then CP Ships.

Who was Mr Marconi man likely to have been?

I got absolute hell off my fatber for going down rhat path behind his back. He woyld let me start on the Easter intake which I wanted to.

#43 ·
Dear Lucy,
Thank you for getting back to me. It sounds as if had a road to your ticket was an adventure similar to mine.
As you guessed, I was part of Graham Sargent's class (I had previously been at The Wireless College, in Colwyn Bay but they closed, and I was lucky enough to be accepted at Plymouth). For the first year I stayed in the R/O's Hostel in Houndiscoumbe Road, then I went into digs in Lypson Vale for the rest of my time there.
I was very lucky. Graham Sargent and Peter Yarwood were the best lecturers I have ever had. All they wanted you to do was your best, and they would look after you. They took us to ticket level and most of us took C&G exams as well, and more over the subjects were so well drilled in they stood you in good stead for a life in electronics, I eventually went into Avionics Development with Plessey & Marconi etc. I ended up in thermal imaging & signal processing !
Best Regard
Charles

#44 ·
I thought I had placed you, but you didn't mention Colwyn Bay college before. I rember one of the lads on your intake saying you had been at Colwyn Bay, but it closed and you transferred. You were tall and wore glasses from what I remember. I was on an A level course at CFE when you were in your 2nd year based at the Poly. I knew Dave Hirens and also Taffi and another one called Robin who worked later as ER/O for CP ships. It was because of your intake that I found out about the radio course, but told they didn't take woman.

Cheers

Lucy

#45 · (Edited)
Dear Lucy
You have described me well, add to the description well rounded and grey haired and married for 44 years to the same Lady.

Not taking women for training. . . I did not know that, I know Colwyn Bay (did you know Dallas Bradshaw ?) and Fleetwood took Lady's very successfully, I did not know they were so prejudice at Plymouth.

I worked with Lady Ex R/O when I was with Marconi, and she was a dammed good electronic engineer and Project Manager; not a Degree PM who only understood how to stamp her foot and manipulate spread sheets who did not understand "why and when ask for a solution" mumble into her coffee.

Best regards,
Charles

#46 ·
I was on the MEC course at Plymouth Poly 73-74.
I remember the names of Yarwood and Howarth.
There were about 12 on the course.
The Marconi guys did 6 months sitting the C&G certs to get the MEC.
The other lads from BP and others did 3 months.
It was during the 3 day week, with brown outs etc, but the poly escaped those inconveniences.
I stayed at a B&B in Lipson Road, within easy walking of the college, passed the ‘Woodside’ pub, which had frequent ‘lock ins’ with illumination by candlelight.
I remember being on about £180 a month at the start of the course and being on £330 or something at the end, what with the seaman’s strike (and others) and the RPI escalation and the introduction of petrol rationing coupons in the event of fuel shortage.
I can remember those things but not much of what I learnt on the course.

Much the same today, memory, that is.

#48 · (Edited)
Peter, Hi,
Yes, much of your email jells, I remember the Good Companions, I was a common or garden student and was paid for by my Mum & Dad. I got tuition, but had to stump up for everything else. Only when I had my ticket did P&O offer me a job and start earning.
I remember the Holiday Inn on the Hoe, they used to do a 'bottom less Coffee Pot, used to write letters (remember them ?) to Mum & Dad plus other relatives & girl friend at Exeter University, phone calls from Plymouth to Chelmsford were expensive; on £20.00/month lunch & pocket money. My digs were not far from you, I was in Lipson Hill Terrace, about half way up the hill near the phone box, and my landlord was a master butcher at Dewhursts (I have never tasted such good stakes as those he used to bring home).
Best regards,
Charles

#49 ·
... used to write letters (remember them ?) to Mum & Dad plus other relatives & girl friend at Exeter University, phone calls from Plymouth to Chelmsford were expensive;
Re the cost of phone calls: While at Plymouth Tech in 1964 my girl friend (now my wife) was a nursing sister at Wembley General Hospital - used to get the international footballers and the speedway riders in following accidents (no team doctors and Harley Street consultants for footballers on 20 quid a week). As you say for the first week or two I found it very expensive to keep in touch by phone.

Then one evening we were all on our way to Union Street and I phoned her from a call box in the town centre shopping area, just near to Ivor Dewdneys pasty shop. I put in a shilling and called her and after, about 5 minutes or so, realised that the pips hadn't sounded to ask for further money. Not after 10 minutes, nor 20. Then my mates came and said that if I didn't come out of the phone box, they would put a rope round it so that I couldn't.

I was in Plymouth for several months and that phone was never fixed, needing just a minimum payment to allow the call to be connected but never disconnecting until you put the handset down on the rest. I must have defrauded the GPO of many pounds during that time. Of course I shared the good news with all my mates on the course.

#50 · (Edited)
Hi Charles
I think it was the same phone box I used to use to call my Mum. Not the one you used Ron.
Our landlord was RAF cook in the NAAFI, no ambition, aptitude or flipping initiative, he used to say. But the food was good
Lodgings with B & B plus evening meals was £11 a week, considered very expensive when we went to student union for what accommodation was available. On the other hand we were on £18 a week out of pocket ex’s. I thought we did well.

Peter

Somebody will shoot me down in flames!

#52 ·
Peter, Hi,
A 'small world' it is, my digs were about £8.50'ish. for half board. Mr & Mrs Joyce my landlords, they were Plymothians through and through (even supporting Argyle). If you could get Mrs Joyce and her sisters talking about the war and childrens parties in Devonport Dockyard it became a very entertaining evening. I was very lucky.
Best regards,
Charles

#56 · (Edited)
Lucy, Hi,
I must admit, Mr Mitchell was not my favourite, for some reason he and I did not hit it off (I mentioned this to my Dad during my weekly phone home) my Dad without my knowledge phoned Mr Mitchell to ask what the problem was (sin of sins), and as a result Mr. Mitchell wanted to throw me off the course. I found out about this only because the Owner of the R/O's Hostel in Houndiscoumbe Road went into bat for me and helped; he told me what had happened when the dust had settled. After that, I never spoke to Mr. Mitchell, and only when I had to in class, I did not respect him and kept well clear of him.
Best Regards,
Charles

#57 ·
Thanks for the update Lucy

Hi Lucy, thanks for your response. You are correct, I was in Mr Mitchell’s class, and I do remember you. It saddens me to hear that you had such a torrid time back then, but I do remember the 1st year being particularly tough. I remember the R/O lodgings on Mutley?? plain, 4 of us to a room and I think that there was only the one shower between around 10-12 students, that was awful.

It sounds like the Plymouth I knew back in ’75 has completely disappeared. I did return there for a long weekend back in ’80 or ’81 but it sounds like it would be unrecognisable to me now. Maybe I’ll get back there sometime.

I left the sea back in ’79 with the intention of going back after a year or so. I wanted to get some real technical experience and some industry recognised qualification so went to work at GCHQ, fully intending to go back to sea. Things were good ashore, I moved onto more and more interesting things, memories fade as did the desire to be afloat so I never went back. It was great fun while it lasted.

Thanks again,
Andrew

#62 · (Edited)
Can't say I know the name actually.

Glad he went down path of honest living though. I transferred Bristol 2nd year. One day about six months later the landlord arrived Sat morning and put chains on all four of the four bay windows facing Windor Road, so they could only open a few inches.

I then found out that the previous rad course student who had been tenant in my bedsit was inside Gloucester prison. He had told another con in Gloucester Nic that he was going to break in my bedsit when he got out. He had been on lst year Rad Offs course. The end result was he and another student had tea leafed televisions from store on nearby Gloucester Rd. He and other the other radio student had an enthusiasm for televisions, radios etc and it obviously wasn't just a healthy interest. It did wonders re my sleep at night.

Do you have any contact details for Dave Hirens. Very nice man

Last saw him Summer 75 just before my 6 and half month trip on S.S. Mangelia, Shell supertanker. He was on your intake and joined P and O like yourself. His came from Heybrook Bay near Plymourh. A few years before when he was on R/Os course he used to take me up to Plume of Feathers folk singing nights. He treated me well. Real gentleman.

Lucy

#63 ·
Lucy, Hi,
Thanks for your response, John was a good friend (many a happy lunch time 'Oggi at the Crimel Ferry Cafe and a toddle up to Devils Point or half in the 'Grapes' ), after he left the course and I believe becoming a Copper lost track of him.
As to Dave Hirens, sorry I can not remember him, if I get a find out in the mean time I will pass his details on to you.
Best Regards,
Charles

#64 ·
Hi Everyone
Was at Plymouth Sept 1963. PMG and Radar. Remember Ted Howarth,Robbie Robinson, Joe Rowe, Alan Pink, John Mitchell and Jock Richardson, who I remember delivering the "package of energy " speech on the first lecture on the Marconi Mark 4 radar.
Later returned to Plymouth for MED a d advanced MED 1971/2 with Ted Crowther and Alec Ward (who went to CP Ships as
Radio/Electronics Super. Met him when I was with CP regularly.
On my PMG course had Tony Bovill, Tim Seddon (went to GHCQ), Dave Hambling, John Duquimin.
Retired from sea 2002 as an ETO with Global Marine on cable ships.
Remember you Les. Were you just ahead of us?
Dave Atkinson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.