Jebsens - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
04:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Jebsens

User Tag List

Old 28th September 2007, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Chalkley View Post
Hi Bill,

Yep - I've seen photos of the new "Clydenes" on Shipspotting.com - suppose the vessel I was on is no more.

Cheers,

Steve.
From what I can gather the current 'Clydenes' was acquired from Arklow Shipping a few years ago. She was the 'Arklow Brook' built in the mid 90s
Old 7th October 2007, 21:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
"S" boats....

Anyone know if Sandy Ritchie is still knocking about? Sailed with him when he was master on a couple of the S boats.

Steve.
Old 7th October 2007, 22:23

Most of you would not recognize Jebsens as it is a shadow of its former self. What with Atle in retirement and not enjoying good health.
Old 10th November 2007, 13:15

My location
Atle Jebsen

Atle was a very forward looking shipowner in his time - I wish him well in his retirement.

Steve.
Old 10th November 2007, 13:33

Atle was indeed a forward looking shipowner unfortunately he surrounded himself with a lot of 'hangers on'. Bjorn (his son) is now in the seat but Atle is still hovering in the background.
Old 10th November 2007, 22:00
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
Most of you would not recognize Jebsens as it is a shadow of its former self. What with Atle in retirement and not enjoying good health.
I was taken back when I saw Atle being interviewed recently.
He has aged significantly course he could say the same about me.
Did you ever meet him Bill???
When in Bergen on the ship he would be down in the galley having a coffee after his exercise run or latterly walk before going in to the office. Took pride in knowing first hand what was going on with his ships.
Always open for discusion and willing to listen to the crews concerns etc.
A shipowner that I liked!!!!
Old 10th November 2007, 22:13

Have known him and his wife Arhhild for many years.
The 'Rocknes' incident some years ago really affected him and I don't think he has ever recovered from it. A shipowner with heart!
Old 26th April 2008, 22:43
Active: 1966 - 1983

Anyone out there who sailed on the Binsnes in the early 70's. Capt. Ronnie Safe. One A.B. (me) the other deck crew consisted of 4 engine room lads and two or three Portuguese andtwo Spaniards from the International Pool in Rotterdam. Loaded Pig Iron in ymuiden for Shanghai. In Singapore (bunkers) we were told that it was shoreside cranes to unload. However, when we got to Shangghai there was no shoreside equipment. Skipper,Mates, Bosun and myself assissted by the R/O and cadets rigged up the deck cranes and grabs. This took us about two days and nights. I remember Capt. Safe telling me to "turn in to get some shut eye" before we started to unload. The Chinese dockers would not entertain the on board ships grabs and more often than not wires parted and the deck cranes blew the contactors.

We sailed about 10 days later for Albany in Aussie to load Urea for Jakarta. Again Capt Safe inquired of my knowledge of Jakarta (I was ex Blue Funnel) and when I suggested that our Lifeboats might be pilfered along with the ropes and anything else by the Indonesians he confirmed that we had no spare wire ropes left - we had used every spare wire rope in Shanghai.

Apart from the obvious manning deficiences (GPSI manning was never a success) she was a hard working but happy ship.

Anybody got any news on Capt. Ronnie Safe. He was ex Silver Line.
Old 28th April 2008, 17:09

Sealnes

Anyone sail on the Sealnes 78,79,80. Was there as R/O, trying to remember names.
Tom
Old 1st May 2008, 20:35

Anyone know whereabouts of Capt George Maxwell Legate.

"Much to be regretted but your goods are slightly wetted"

Lawrie E
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:13

My location
Wes Ogle - Jack Apsey - anyone sail with these skippers?

Steve.
Old 6th May 2008, 16:03

Hi Moulder
Yes I Have sailed with both of them.Not quite sure which ships.
Was Jack Apsey on Bulknes,I joined her in Bluff NZ,30-07-74.Left
on 16-10-74.I could also have sailed with him on the Clydenes.Wes Ogle
maybe Rocknes or Ringnes (not sure)I thought he was Chief Officer when
I sailed with him.I seem to recollect I was with him when he left the company.
My memory not to good.
Regards Artie
Old 6th May 2008, 17:06

My location
Hi Artie,

Yep - I sailed with both on Clydenes and Clarkenes.

Enjoyed my time with Jack Apsey - a good skipper.

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 6th May 2008, 18:04

Hi Moulder
Yes I agree with you.Jack Apsey was a great skipper.
I am sure I was on the Bulknes with him.
Regards Artie
Old 19th August 2008, 13:46

I sailed in Jebsens from 1977 to 1985
Ships included the Furunes (My most favourite ship ever), Risnes, Sealnes Saltnes, Rocknes, Loftnes, and Firmnes, (My last ship with the company),.
Sailed as 2/0 and C/O, then back to 2/O.
Sorry to hear Atle Jebsen is not doing too well health wise, I only met him once, and as contracts were hard to come by at the time, he told the London Office to give me one. Of course the office wriggled out of it, but he seemed an honest, fair bloke.
Have many happy memories of the Furunes, joining her in Hamburg, Feb 77, (a complete crew change, should have known something wasn't quite right), and even the drink was free in the hotel. The ship was under arrest, and she was in a poor way with the electrics in the FX head burnt out. Put into a floating dock, it was all sorted and we left for Porsgrun to load fertilizer for the States. On the way across the pond, N01 derrick broke adrift knocking a coal vent cover off, No1 hatch, flooding it. During the crossing the mate and Bosun took a walk around the deck to see if all was ok, and on unclipping the paint locker they were knocked over by a four foot wall of paint, as all the unused dry dock paint had leaked from its drums. Discharged what we could in Wilmington, then to Tampa for repairs, (a week or two in the sun). Then to Charleston, and on to Durban with waste paper, (not bad for a so called North Sea ship). (Met a young lady in Durban to whom I later proposed), loaded chrome ore on the Bluff and the Passenger Terminal. During an explanation by the mate to the 3/O and myself on how we were to load it, the Master, Capt Davies turned to the mate and said no not that way, and when the mate protested, the Master told him it was his ship and that the mates relief was landing in Durban as they were speaking, then promptly sacked him.
Up to the continent, to Antwerp and Rotterdam, around to Swansea, where I paid off, and immediately flew back down to Durban. I tried to rejoin the Furunes, but the company didn't want to know. As for the young lady, although she accepted my proposal, she later returned to the Uk, ( she was an expat), found and later married somebody else.
But it was the trip I will always remember. There were so many characters aboard her, and so many things that went wrong, people just wouldn't believe it if you told them.
Enri

Last edited by Enri; 19th August 2008 at 13:53..
Old 19th August 2008, 13:59

Seems to be a typical jebsen story.
Heard a story of Rafnes or Risnes (twin NOHABs) being towed into Miami in the early 1990s. Changed crew and flag. Anyone have any knowledge.

Brian
Old 19th August 2008, 14:09
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enri View Post
I sailed in Jebsens from 1977 to 1985
Ships included the Furunes (My most favourite ship ever), Risnes, Sealnes Saltnes, Rocknes, Loftnes, and Firmnes, (My last ship with the company),.
Sailed as 2/0 and C/O, then back to 2/O.
Sorry to hear Atle Jebsen is not doing too well health wise, I only met him once, and as contracts were hard to come by at the time, he told the London Office to give me one. Of course the office wriggled out of it, but he seemed an honest, fair bloke.
Have many happy memories of the Furunes, joining her in Hamburg, Feb 77, (a complete crew change, should have known something wasn't quite right), and even the drink was free in the hotel. The ship was under arrest, and she was in a poor way with the electrics in the FX head burnt out. Put into a floating dock, it was all sorted and we left for Porsgrun to load fertilizer for the States. On the way across the pond, N01 derrick broke adrift knocking a coal vent cover off, No1 hatch, flooding it. During the crossing the mate and Bosun took a walk around the deck to see if all was ok, and on unclipping the paint locker they were knocked over by a four foot wall of paint, as all the unused dry dock paint had leaked from its drums. Discharged what we could in Wilmington, then to Tampa for repairs, (a week or two in the sun). Then to Charleston, and on to Durban with waste paper, (not bad for a so called North Sea ship). (Met a young lady in Durban to whom I later proposed), loaded chrome ore on the Bluff and the Passenger Terminal. During an explanation by the mate to the 3/O and myself on how we were to load it, the Master, Capt Davies turned to the mate and said no not that way, and when the mate protested, the Master told him it was his ship and that the mates relief was landing in Durban as they were speaking, then promptly sacked him.
Enri
Its a small world after all as I was the mate you mentioned and I was happy to fly home from Durban. I was asked to go to the office in Rislip when I returned home and explain the goings on and why I had asked to get off. Told a few sorry stories and when the ship arrived in Europe a director visited the ship. He found out what I said was true and the master was fired. I was promoted to Master two months later.(I had prevously sailed as master for several years before joining Jebsens and was in the process of immigrating to Canada)
What you mentioned about thing going wrong on that ship are firmly ingrained in my mind.
We had a crew from shore clean up the forecastle during discharge of the old bales of paper and the stevadores had a great time as some bales had "Playboy" "Penthouse' in them etc

Last edited by lakercapt; 19th August 2008 at 21:28.. Reason: additional text
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:57

Thinking back to Wes Ogle, made me remember either the mate Wally Breckenridge or Capt Ogle had just joined in ijmuden(?) and Wally had been "invited" into the old mans cabin for a drink. As I was loading that night Wally came to me and told me he had sailed with Wes before, and to give him half an hour, then call him on the pretext that something was wrong. Unfortunately something did go wrong, but by the time I had it sorted I'd totally forgotten all about Wally in the oldmans cabin. At about seven the next morning while walking up the deck with the third mate, handing over, a port in the oldmans cabin opened and Wally leaned out calling for help, only to see the oldman pull him back into the cabin, for another can of beer. Can't remember what ship, except it was an R boat.
Couldn't do that nowadays!
Enri
Old 12th September 2008, 16:38

The current CLYDENES was converted from ARKLOW BRIDGE in 2005
The original CLYDENES was in 2005 trading as the Turkish flag VILDIRIM K and her sister CLARKNES was in 2005 trading as Comoros flag ANNA.

These were the last updates to my records for inclusion in the World Ship Society publication JEBSENS published in 2005 ISBN 0-9543310-6-0

A4 hardback 224 pages well illustrated fleet history.

Bill

Last edited by BillH; 12th September 2008 at 16:45..
Old 12th September 2008, 20:44

Are any of the 'Rocknes' class (Appledore 75/76) still sailing?
Old 12th September 2008, 20:57

RINGNES went to breakers in 2003
RISNES I believe is now WILSON MUUGA
ROLLNES in 2003 became N.Korean flag AMIR AHMAD
ROCKNES I believe is now WILSON MO

The three optional sisters for which the contracts were sold to Turnbull Scott who revised the design changing main engine and having gantry cranes on deck came out as SANDGATE, GREEN PARK and SOUTHGATE. I believe only 2 of this trio remain.
Old 12th September 2008, 21:29

I sailed with Jebsens on the rigs Ali Baba, Sinndbad Saxon and Alladin unfortunately we were made redundant. They were a great company and fantastic pay cheques !! Unfortunately they went under when the oil price dropped / but there were roumers that the profits went back to the shipping ,as all the rigs were on fantastic rates.
Unfortunatey thee 3 rigs were laid up in Invergordon.

Last edited by EBenarty; 12th September 2008 at 21:32..
Old 12th September 2008, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
RINGNES went to breakers in 2003
RISNES I believe is now WILSON MUUGA
ROLLNES in 2003 became N.Korean flag AMIR AHMAD
ROCKNES I believe is now WILSON MO

The three optional sisters for which the contracts were sold to Turnbull Scott who revised the design changing main engine and having gantry cranes on deck came out as SANDGATE, GREEN PARK and SOUTHGATE. I believe only 2 of this trio remain.
Many thanks your prompt reply.
I thought the Wilson Muuga went aground last year off Iceland and was a CTL.
Old 12th September 2008, 22:02

Quite possible. It has been some 18 months or more since I did any updating of my Jebsen records. Book was published 2005 so now of a low priority for me as I collate current projects..
Old 12th September 2008, 22:04

Jebsens

I sailed on their 3 drilling rigs for 10 years and was paid handsomely unfortunately the price of oil dropped dramatically and all three rigs Ali Baba. Sindbad Saxon and Aladdin were laid up in Invergodon and we were transferred to Jebsen Agency with no pension ,sick leave etc. and it ended up wih only 4 marine crew left on board myself included.
We were on the same wages and leave but got our P45 after each tour of dutie (2 weks) ,then we had to sign on the dole, which we did for 2 years. We told the girl at the brew we were on full wages but she said we had to on to keep our stamp updated It was an additional bonus every 2 weeks but wrong !!!
How many companies are still doing this ?