Lowestoft Fishing Vessels - Page 15 - Ships Nostalgia
16:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lowestoft Fishing Vessels

User Tag List
Sapphire

Old 23rd October 2018, 16:44

WW1 drifter Girl Bessie.

Good day all.

Would there be any way of finding out who was Skipper of drifter LT435 GIRL BESSIE when she was active in WW1? She was lost on 6th July 1916 when caught by a submarine near the Tyne and all crew were saved.

I have exhausted just about every method of finding crew names and was wondering if there was some way that I could find out.

A big ask but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 24th October 2018, 08:32

Lowestoft Skippers

Clem

I am in the early stages of researching my family's fishing heritage and they have strong links with Lowestoft, Milford, Grimsby and Fleetwood.

Any help with the following would be useful to me :

Alexander Thompson Fisherman Lowestoft and Great Grandfather
Kenneth Alexander Thompson Skipper Lizzie Melling
George Henry Thompson Died in WW2 Loch Doon
Chester William Percival Thompson Died WW2 Willing Boys
Harry "Wompo" Thompson Milford Knight
Ronald Thompson ?

We have some details, photographs and paintings but sketchy and would appreciate any help at all

Many thanks

Ken Thompson
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:17

WH Podd Ltd

Hello from Australia
I was in Lowestoft last year, and chatted to the attendant on the Mincarlo. My wife's family was Podd, the first coming to Western Australia in the late 1890s. The WH Podd family are first cousins.

I would like to know a bit more about the WH Podd Ltd company, which I assume (from when Mincarlo was sold in 1973, more than 35 years after Walter Humphrey Podd died) continued in business through the 1970s.

Any links I can check?
Old 3rd March 2019, 22:25

I have just located Raymond's post in this forum, this topic - from 2006!
The link to the site will possibly tell me everything about WH Podd family shipping and company that I want to know.
Old 11th March 2019, 12:28

Hi
The crew lists for the Girl Bessie, Official Number 119383, are held at the Maritime History Archive in St John's, Canada - see https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/view...cial_No=119383.
There is a link on their page which describes how to get images of the documents - not cheap, but they are helpful.
You can see more details about the Girl Bessie on the CLIP site at:http://crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsnum/119383 with links to the Mercantile Navy List for more details.
Good luck with the search.
Pete Owens, CLIP