Osaka Bay - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
03:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Osaka Bay

User Tag List

Old 3rd May 2015, 01:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present

dannic...It was "Kowloon Bay" that ran aground on Rondo Island on 24th Nov '89. I did the next voyage on her after she had been fixed up...there was some real extensive damage done including bow thrusters obviously! Never heard all the proper stories about what happened but the 2nd mate was dismissed and the AB on watch wasn't for some reason! There is photo's of the grounding in the gallery.
Old 3rd May 2015, 12:44
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Department: Navigation

My location
I do believe the remnants of the bulbous bow are still there!

Jim
Old 3rd May 2015, 13:25
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1973 - 1980

Neve got to Kowloon only aus and nz but knew a couple of people on large bay boats
Old 3rd May 2015, 21:15
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1976 - Present

Bay boats

I worked in Rotterdam looking after the transit spares for OCL(amongst others) - I had 6 Cegielski RD90M liners in a warehouse gathering dust, because they were bought in a scare when Sulzer spares were very scarce. None of the supers wanted to use them because they were prone to cracking. The liners sat in Rotterdam for nigh on 4 years I think until everything went P&ONL.
We also supplied stores to all the Bay boats - I was the only chandler who got along with Captain Thorpe, cause I could talk German to his wife Helga. The guys never forgave me for taking him ashore one evening to the Monkey Bar for the usual nasi goreng and disturbing their quiet run ashore.
Happy days - I believe Thorpe took over the Kowloon when she was towed up to Hong Kong and he lost the bow thruster somewhere in the South China Sea. Being Thorpey, he promptly notified London office of its position but I believe he omitted to mention the depth of said bow thruster.
Old 5th November 2018, 04:24

Kowloon Bay and Bernies Inns

I was an apprentice with our team of four to work on the Allens Turbine Alt, to do a modification on control valves and replace thermo couplings on bearings. Arthur Thompson asked for some food and drink as we were working around the clock. This was denied to us by the ship, so he said about 8 on Saturday night, right down tools and we all went to Bernies inn in Southampton . Really good meal, then back to the ship, and finished job by Sunday Lunch time and then back to Bedford.
Old 5th November 2018, 07:27
Active: 1954 - 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiw.com View Post

They all look good from the back of a taxi!!!!!
and the ale house windows
Old 10th November 2018, 23:03
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointchester View Post
I worked in Rotterdam looking after the transit spares for OCL(amongst others) - I had 6 Cegielski RD90M liners in a warehouse gathering dust, because they were bought in a scare when Sulzer spares were very scarce. None of the supers wanted to use them because they were prone to cracking. The liners sat in Rotterdam for nigh on 4 years I think until everything went P&ONL.
We also supplied stores to all the Bay boats - I was the only chandler who got along with Captain Thorpe, cause I could talk German to his wife Helga. The guys never forgave me for taking him ashore one evening to the Monkey Bar for the usual nasi goreng and disturbing their quiet run ashore.
Happy days - I believe Thorpe took over the Kowloon when she was towed up to Hong Kong and he lost the bow thruster somewhere in the South China Sea. Being Thorpey, he promptly notified London office of its position but I believe he omitted to mention the depth of said bow thruster.
Wasnt just the bow thruster she lost it was the bow! Saw her coming in to anchor Singapore looked like an ice breaker.
Seems evening barbeques were not allowed any more!
Dannic