Ships Nostalgia banner

Mv Tuscany

10K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  williamhutchinson001 
#1 ·
Has anyone sailed on the TUSCANY? I sailed on her from Sept/Nov1965 and can't remember where we went. I'd appreciate any info on her. Stan Greening/Montrose/Scotland

#8 ·
Hi Heathen Scot, if you mean Tuscany of Royal Mail PSNC then yes I sailed on her circa 1968 , not home currently will post again if this is the ship. I have photos of her aground, iced in in the St Lawrence- Cheers
I was also on this ship at this time so would be really interested to see any photographs you may have, if I remember rightly we were stuck in the ice for 2 weeks with a further 6 weeks in dry dock in quebec.
I also sailed on the next voyage to warmer climbs in the Caribbean.

#10 ·
Hi lads i have a photo of her with her bow caved in she must have hit the wall some where and had temp repairs done so she could conpleate her trip.She came to Hull to discharge part cargo and then sailed to london last port of call. I think she was repaired there. Will post the photo when i come accross it sam2182sw

#11 ·
MV Tuscany

Its been such a long time for me and I suppose a lot of you guys out there as well, so delving into my old papers I came across a diary I kept on our voyage to Canada in 1967-8.
And my record shows that the ship ran aground at 9.30 on the 10th of Jan, the 13th we worked down the hold being paid 2 dollars an hour to shift several hundred tons of asbestos from one side of the ship to the other hoping that this would free us, a salvage boat arrived on the14th and after two days work and also with two tugs close by was unable to move us to safety.
On the 23rd Jan a helicopter landed on the ice next to the ship to replenish some of supplies that we were running low on.

It was not until Jan24th that we were finally brought to quebec by a very large ice breaker after having been stuck in the ice for 15 days.We spent 6 weeks in dry dock before resuming our journey home still having trouble getting through the ice in the Belle Isle straits having further assistance from a ice breaker on the 9th of March.
We arrived back home 21st March 1968.

Thankfully our next trip was to the Caribbean to thaw out.

#12 ·
m.v. tuscany

i was an engineer on the tuscany on a voyage depart liverpool 23-11-60. some weeks later while leaving santos brazil, we were in collision with the turbo electric ship loide chile. we 'tee boned' the loide-chile amidships.tuscany was badly damaged on the bow while the loide-chile was holed below the water line in the engine room and sustained substantial damage to the bridge and superstructure.and unfortunately the radio operator was killed. i don't know what happened to the lloide-chile after that. the tuscany was moved to a disused wharf on santos bay for temporary repairs. the only land access to this wharf was a narrow path through the jungle to the nearest road about a mile away,so all the workers and materials were brought in by barge. the repair consisted of welding steel plates around the bow and then reinforcing this by pouring many tons of concrete in the chain locker, over 100 tons i think. i have some photos. have to figure out how to send them. k.r.

#13 ·
m.v. tuscany

i was an engineer on the tuscany on a voyage depart liverpool 23-11-60. some weeks later while leaving santos brazil, we were in collision with the turbo electric ship loide chile. we 'tee boned' the loide-chile amidships.tuscany was badly damaged on the bow while the loide-chile was holed below the water line in the engine room and sustained substantial damage to the bridge and superstructure.and unfortunately the radio operator was killed. i don't know what happened to the lloide-chile after that. the tuscany was moved to a disused wharf on santos bay for temporary repairs. the only land access to this wharf was a narrow path through the jungle to the nearest road about a mile away,so all the workers and materials were brought in by barge. the repair consisted of welding steel plates around the bow and then reinforcing this by pouring many tons of concrete in the chain locker, over 100 tons i think. i have some photos. have to figure out how to send them. k.r.
Hi
Sounds Possibly par for the course for the Tuscany. I sailed as a Junior Engineer on her for about a year 1967/68 going to Quebec, Montreal, Toronto and Hamilton.She seemed to be always attracted to other ships, especially freshly painted ones. She even managed to make contact with the bed of the St Lawrence, tearing the bottom out of her and then she got rapped in ice for about two weeks puting us in dry dock for over a month.
Every voyage there was a catastrophe.Nearly lost the Chippy over side in Atlantic. 4th Engineer was badly burned on his foot. the bosun was fatally injured whist topping the derecks coming into Quebec.The Peggy lost half his hand in a pulley block again topping derecks. Just thought perhaps it me that was the 'Jonah'.
Cheers
Rusty Tusk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.