Ships Nostalgia banner

Loch Loyal

17K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  seanmac 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Royal Mail Line's LOCH LOYAL (57/11035) inward bound passing Tilbury on the River Thames.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Earlier day I was also interrested to find out something about the ship LOCH LOYAL.

This is what I found out:

Royal Mail Lines, London, England. Royal Mail Lines, London, England. Technical datas and ships history: Built: 1957 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.
Tonnage: 11, 035g, 6, 447n.
Engine : Single Screw, Steam Turbine, Double Reduction Geared. 16 Knots.
Passengers: 12. Tiled Swimming Pool. The ship was built for the joint North Pacific service with Holland America Line. In October of 1969 she was disabled by a fire in the Engine Room and in 1971 she was sold to the Aegis Group of Piraeus and renamed Aegis Loyal. She was broken up at Shanghai in October of 1974.

Best regards from Hamburg, J. Erfurt

#4 ·
Hi all
This is Gerry Scaife, ex Loch Loyal bottom of the pile "Junior engineer" I'd like to tell you first of all that seeing Loch Loyal on your site was Wonderful.
Is that not a beautifull ship?. That their were so many ships like her gives an idea of the joyfull memories that many British sailors have.
Where are all the the old Royal Mail crew?
I have to correct the info you have on Loch Loyal, The engine was a B&W 2 stroke 7cyl exposed top piston diesel, and in 2 years of operation I remember one one hour shutdown in the atlantic for a fuel pump repair.
Gerry.

#7 ·
This is an old thread but I've only just found it!
I was in Loch Loyal 1961 as a cadet.
I certainly remember that 7 cylinder B&W. Used to crack liners every time we slowed down. Engineers hardly ever got shore leave!
But what a beautiful ship. Remember great swimming pool too.

#13 ·
Just a point and I don't like to sound too pedantic but although Loch Loyal and Loch Gowan were near sister ships, the Loyal was a motor ship and the Gowan was a steamship. Gowan had her main topmast black to denote same although if my experience was anything to go by, I'm sure the Loch Loyal made as much smoke!

#14 ·
Hi, My name is Geoff Grundy have just joined and been reading various comments that have been posted, some not very recent must admit. l was in the Loch Loyal 67/68 and did 4 trips with "auntie" great Capt. and a good ship. l was 2nd Elect to John Waterman 1st Elect & good guy, we still keep in touch. All the others i remember were Paddy Cordner c/e,Gordon Payne c/o,Ben Blyth 2/e, Arthur Finch ch/stwd,Bob Nickson 3/e,Dalton Greenwell j2/e,Wally Rodrigo j/e - Wally and i talk regularly and have visited each other a few times. Well hows that for a memory, i look forward to any replies that you guys may have. l was also 3rd Elect Amazon 65/66 & Senior on Eleuthera 69 then i left RML went to various co,s inc P&O retired 5yrs ago, my last year was with lOMSP on Ben My Chree. So there you go & best rgds to all, Geoff

#15 ·
Hi I was on The Loyal fore a breef but significant time. We took here from London to Falmouth. to be laid up priyer to being sold to the Greaks in feb 71. I was on here with two lads who had been deep sea on here in 69. John & Chris Hunt from Devon. They were J.O.S's i think. I'm Still in contact with them.they said she was a good ship. I was disapointed by not doing a run on her after working by. she was a good looker! However all the ships of that time were prity.
all best to you all.
Graham

#20 ·
Maiden Voyage.

My name is Noel Kelly, originally from Gateshead, I was sent to Belfast in 1957 to join the Loch Loyal as 3rd. Engineer for her maiden voyage and subsequent second voyage. When I arrived in Belfast she wasn't ready to live aboard so I had to live in digs before she was. Willy Smith from Glasgow, the 4th. Engineer, stayed in the same digs with me.

#21 ·
Hi my name is Mike Geekie and I was on the Loch Loyal from Oct 67 to April 68 as galley boy.
16 years old and sailing up the west coast of the USA up to Vancouver.
Great times.
Bosun was from Scotland and I couldn't understand a word he said!
Mess man was a chap called Don.
It was a great introduction into the merchant navy.

Attachments

#24 ·
Hi John, hope your days remained happy after your arrival in LA. I did the maiden and second voyage as 3rd engineer on the Loch Loyal in 1958. Left her to get married in August '58, resigned from Royal Mail in December '58 and by March 1959 had arrived in LA as a legal alien. Lived in Long Beach, then Garden Grove, then Santa Ana, and now in Anaheim where I have been for 42 years.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.