Ships Nostalgia banner

RMS Andes

36K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Mick.mason galley 
#1 ·
RMS Andes at Spithead Review 1953

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
I was on the Andes from June 1970 to Aug 1970, my time on her came to a sudden end when I was put ashore by pilot boat at Glengarrife Ireland suffering from gastro intestinal haemorrhaging, thanks to the quick diagnoses of the Dr on board, I made it, but only just, I went into a coma on arrival at the Bantry county Hospital where I remained for ten days and until I was strong enough to be transferred to a Hospital nearer my home.
You may wonder why I am writing all this, my time on the Andes remains hazy from the time we left Southampton and I wonder, if anyone on this site could fill in the gaps for me, It was the beginning of a Scandinavian cruise and I would like to know which ports we would have called in also the ports of the previous cruise which lasted three weeks, and most of all the name of the Dr.
many thanks Donald

#30 ·
I was on the Andes from June 1970 to Aug 1970, my time on her came to a sudden end when I was put ashore by pilot boat at Glengarrife Ireland suffering from gastro intestinal haemorrhaging, thanks to the quick diagnoses of the Dr on board, I made it, but only just, I went into a coma on arrival at the Bantry county Hospital where I remained for ten days and until I was strong enough to be transferred to a Hospital nearer my home. You may wonder why I am writing all this, my time on the Andes remains hazy from the time we left Southampton and I wonder, if anyone on this site could fill in the gaps for me, It was the beginning of a Scandinavian cruise and I would like to know which ports we would have called in also the ports of the previous cruise which lasted three weeks, and most of all the name of the Dr. many thanks Donald
Served on her Jan 69 April 70 Oct 70 April 71. Don't recall the Doc's name but a really nice guy Irish if I remember correctly smiling red face. He was friends with the Roast Cook George Spooner, George being Diabetic and fond of the amber nectar was a regular of the Doc's think his tipple was scotch often shared with George.

#16 · (Edited)
Hello Guilman. Not sure if I can find details of your 1st Andes trip but the one you had to leave was as follows:
Soton-sailed 6/7/70; Old Head of Kinsale - cruise along Irish coast; Bantry Bay overnight anchor-6/7; Glengarriff 7/7; Bergen-10/7; Ytterdal & merok-11/7; Sognefjord-12/7; Copenhagen-14-15/7; Stockholm-17-19/7; Amstererdam-22-23/7; Soton-24/7.

Regular Doc was 'Tom'. Will see if I have his surname. Don't know if he was on that trip.

#20 ·
A young person died in the officers pantry on G deck after playing deck cricket with a rope ball. As far as I remember he was struck on the chest and died almost immediately. We were on a short cruise from New York to Quebec and had to dock in Nova Scotia to remove the poor lad. He was I believe one of the director's son of the Royal mail line, but this was in 1958 and I was sixteen, now nearly 75. Happy and some not so happy days.

#21 ·
Alan Wicker did A "Wickers World" on her while I worked on her. Apparently my parents spotted me in it, but I never saw that particular program myself. He was going to interview some of us boys, but that didn't happen. :(

#24 ·
I joined the RMS Andes at Southampton in 1968 for her final World Cruise, primary port visits were Rio De Janeiro, Capetown, Mauritius, Singapore, Penang, after 4 days in Penang my memory was a bit of a blur. The was supposedly her final voyage and we flew her paying off Penant throughout the voyage. Now I see through previous posts she sailed on for a few more years. As an Able Seaman it was a memorable voyage. I also read an article in one of the fleet street rags which talked about this final World Cruise stating that the highlight of the voyage was the visit to Hong Kong, I can assure you we never visited Hong Kong.

#26 ·
Andes remembered

Long time since I was on this site and active, perhaps you will pick this up even so. Here goes.
I was inter 4th Eng at the the same time having rejoined after a brief break.
Remember all the problems we had with salt in the boilers, serious explosive steam leak and the FD and ID fans on one of the main boilers packing up? I have quite a few mementos and loads of memories of Andes, especially of those last trips.

Yes, I remember from my J/E days the morgue being a really creepy place, especially at night with nobody about, and only cockroaches for company - and perhaps a body or two.
Brilliant time though, I was sorry she went.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.